The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Finally got one. Thank YOU!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finally got my hands on a 2013 SBY Boss 302 (#1829). I had to drive about 400 miles to get it, but the price was right, and I worked with a great dealer. I was able to negotiate the price and identify the options I wanted thanks to everyone on this forum! I was looking for a Grabber Blue version, but once I found this one in SBY it was over!

8417400656_fce0ae3de2_c.jpg

Unfortunately, I am headed out on a patrol and wont get to log many miles (its too cold in NJ anyway). I look forward to getting back and having some fun.

I plan to leave it mostly stock, but may look at small power upgrades throughout the coming years. Looks like the most common early mods are getting rid of the exhaust discs, installing an MGW shifter, taking out the sound tube, and getting a nice set of track wheels/tires. I am game for all of that. Did i miss anything? I would like to do long tubes and exhaust down the road, but I dont have enough miles to justify that yet!

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Congrats, welcome to club. ;D Great list for starters, you only missed the hood struts, best installed when you are ditching the sound tube. If you are going to track the car, you will want to put in some DOT-4 brake fluid, and consider some better pads than the 'world's best dust producer' Brembos. GOD THOSE THINGS SUCK!!! You can replace the 'low expansion' brake lines with stainless if you are going to track the car a lot as well.

If you haven't already done so, check your oil, and then make sure you keep a close eye on it at every fill up. Hopefully you get one that doesn't burn oil at an excessive rate as some other unfortunate owners have...

One of the cheap mods I did was to install the Nomex sheet in front of the A/C condenser, super cheap method to keep it from getting dented up on the track. You can find the thread in the Tech Section. Also the Sullivan Racing pedals are awesome, I ran out of time to install mine this year - too busy out enjoying it!!

Other popular mods include an oil catch can, but if you Boss doesn't burn much if any oil, it may not really be needed. If you are planning on changing your own oil instead of the dealer, consider getting Form-A-Funnel, and a Fumoto valve. Threads also in the Tech section.

ace72ace said:
Congrats, welcome to club. ;D Great list for starters, you only missed the hood struts, best installed when you are ditching the sound tube. If you are going to track the car, you will want to put in some DOT-4 brake fluid, and consider some better pads than the 'world's best dust producer' Brembos. GOD THOSE THINGS SUCK!!! You can replace the 'low expansion' brake lines with stainless if you are going to track the car a lot as well.

If you haven't already done so, check your oil, and then make sure you keep a close eye on it at every fill up. Hopefully you get one that doesn't burn oil at an excessive rate as some other unfortunate owners have...

One of the cheap mods I did was to install the Nomex sheet in front of the A/C condenser, super cheap method to keep it from getting dented up on the track. You can find the thread in the Tech Section. Also the Sullivan Racing pedals are awesome, I ran out of time to install mine this year - too busy out enjoying it!!

Other popular mods include an oil catch can, but if you Boss doesn't burn much if any oil, it may not really be needed. If you are planning on changing your own oil instead of the dealer, consider getting Form-A-Funnel, and a Fumoto valve. Threads also in the Tech section.

ace, thanks for the recommendations...i see you are a big zanio guy. i have never used high end wax (just bought out of a auto parts store), should i just get their starter kit and build off that? Thanks!

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Congrats, and welcome!

For the track, I second the DOT4 fluid and at least having the new pads on hand if you take it to the track. The fronts are pretty easy to swap at the track with the right tools.

Main things I'd recommend for the track are the cooling mods...brake ducts and the tranny scoop.

Have fun breaking her in! 8)

Congratulations and welcome to BMO!

Welcome to BMO! I would like to add a new set of springs. It kills two birds with one stone - gets rid of that raised look and helps brake dive. Oh, and if you plan to keep this car, I highly recommend a good set of detailing products. Some guys like Zaino, some like others. The Detailers Corner has some info already. If you dont find what you are looking just ask. Everyone here is more than willing to help.

Congrats and welcome! I approve of your color choice. ;) You didn't mention purchasing a Trackey voucher... a must do mod. Maybe you can talk your dealer into giving it to you for free.

zzyzx

Steve
Congrats!

And no BS, check your master cylinder reservoir, and any brake fluid that has already leaked out. Clean it up ASAP. And, use paper towels to soak up the fluid and get it down to the "Low" mark, and use brake clean on the cap to get all brake fluid off the cap, and the rim of the resevoir, then replace the cap.

Many Bosses come with the an overfilled brake reservoir, and many have had paint damage as a result.

MGCurry

2013 Boss 302 #1548 SBY
congrats i now feel spoiled that mine was at my local dealer 3 miles from the house, car sat there from at least august sitting there waiting for me to decide to buy it..

Great info! Thanks everyone. Ill recheck the oil and brake fluid tomorrow.

I would like to get a coat of wax on it before i leave. Any Zanio nuts recommend what i should do to protect it, since its brand new?

Thanks again!

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Yeah, watch out for the Zaino freaks! Get the starter kit, the one w/o the leather cleaner, heh. I'd suggest getting the bucket w/grit guard, the triplet kit, and 1 extra bottle of wash z7, and detail spray, z6. Order a wash mitt, waffle dry cloth and some MF towels from Adams Polishes. Will be glad to answer follow up ?'s over in the Detailer section.

You can't go wrong with this for starters, just make sure you use clean pads between applications, and use quality clean towels to remove the hazed polish.

IMG_2115.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel