The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Finally.....picked up my Boss (1535) today...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Picked up my Yellow Blaze Boss, # 1535, today. I actually drove it (cautiously) from the rail yard here in OKC to the dealership. My salesman took then took the car into the service bay, where they supposedly did some programming on it to "free up the horsepower" (I told him that I thought just by driving the car a few miles, the delivery tune would go away, but he insisted). After about 20 minutes, he pulled around and handed me the keys (I wanted to do all the detailing work myself). I got home and immediately got to work. I found some issues, like the hood decal being a little off-center (anyone else have this problem?), and some scuff marks that I was able to buff out with some cleaner wax. There are also some dark spots around the fender that I wasn't able to get off, so I will be taking it to a pro for help. After I got the car pretty cleaned up, I took my son out for a spin. There is a lake near where I live that has a great curvy road that runs its perimeter, so I figured it would be ideal for the Boss, and was I ever right! The car handled great, so much tighter than my '05 GT, and I was pretty impressed by the power....then, at around 21 miles on the odometer, I down-shifted to third going around a curve, and when I got back on it, the car really came alive! It also sounds awesome, even with the diffusers still on. I will post pics just as soon as I can. I know it has been said before, but to all those still waiting, hang in there, it will be worth it in the end!

YellowMan said:
Picked up my Yellow Blaze Boss, # 1535, today. I actually drove it (cautiously) from the rail yard here in OKC to the dealership. My salesman took then took the car into the service bay, where they supposedly did some programming on it to "free up the horsepower" (I told him that I thought just by driving the car a few miles, the delivery tune would go away, but he insisted). After about 20 minutes, he pulled around and handed me the keys (I wanted to do all the detailing work myself). I got home and immediately got to work. I found some issues, like the hood decal being a little off-center (anyone else have this problem?), and some scuff marks that I was able to buff out with some cleaner wax. There are also some dark spots around the fender that I wasn't able to get off, so I will be taking it to a pro for help. After I got the car pretty cleaned up, I took my son out for a spin. There is a lake near where I live that has a great curvy road that runs its perimeter, so I figured it would be ideal for the Boss, and was I ever right! The car handled great, so much tighter than my '05 GT, and I was pretty impressed by the power....then, at around 21 miles on the odometer, I down-shifted to third going around a curve, and when I got back on it, the car really came alive! It also sounds awesome, even with the diffusers still on. I will post pics just as soon as I can. I know it has been said before, but to all those still waiting, hang in there, it will be worth it in the end!

Congratz on your new BOSS!

Looking forward to your pics.

orng302 said:
What programming?

Yeah, I don't know what they did. They took into the service bay, I saw they had the hood open and everything. 20 minutes later, they bring the car out. I know I felt a BIG difference at the 21 mile mark, like I described above, so it doesn't seem like they did anything to it. I was under the impression that you simply drive it for a few miles, and the delivery tune goes away. Did they not do anything to it?

YellowMan said:
orng302 said:
What programming?

Yeah, I don't know what they did. They took into the service bay, I saw they had the hood open and everything. 20 minutes later, they bring the car out. I know I felt a BIG difference at the 21 mile mark, like I described above, so it doesn't seem like they did anything to it. I was under the impression that you simply drive it for a few miles, and the delivery tune goes away. Did they not do anything to it?
All they have to do is an obligatory inspection. No programming involved to my knowledge.

They did the same thing to mine, they said it's to keep the car carriers or other related delivery people from playing with our toys before we get them. Supposedly it' will clear itself after 26 miles if the dealer doesn't. No idea why it's 26 and not 25 but I'm' just passing on what I was told.

MoscowBoss

BOSS 771
NC USA
Here is the inspection list they are supposed to follow. See section 4.......

2012 Mustang Boss/Boss Laguna Seca Package Pre-Delivery Service Record

1. Run OASIS
☐ Check OASIS using Pre-Delivery Symptom Code 804000 to identify any required additional PDI instructions.
☐ Confirm that all open Recalls and Field Service Actions have been completed.
2. Mechanical Inspections
☐ Check battery state of charge. Recharge if indicator is red or voltage measures ≤12.4 V.
☐ Check the windshield washer fluid reservoir(s) and fill to specification, if required.
☐ Check engine cooling system(s) degas bottle lever COLD and fill to specification, if required.
☐ Visually inspect all underhood components. Check for fluid leaks.
☐ Check tire pressure and inflate to specification (including spare tire). Set at outside ambient temperature.
☐ Visually inspect the tire inflator kit for proper location and condition (if equipped).
☐ Visually inspect all under-vehicle components. Check for fluid leaks.
3. Install Loose Ship Items
☐ Install radio antenna mast. Tighten to 3.5 Nm (30 lb-in). Do not overtighten.
☐ Install other loose ship items listed on the loose ship label. Refer to instruction sheets packaged with loose ship items (where applicable).
Note: Be sure to leave sun visor utility clip (if equipped) in glove box for customer. Note:The Boss 302 Laguna Seca package includes Ford Racing
components that are shipped separately from the vehicle. These components and their installation are not part of PDI, and are paid as a credit on the Parts
Statement. Some of these components require an owner's signature before installation or should only be installed by the end customer.
4. Functional Checks and Set-Up
☐ Reset PCM Calibration from transport mode - disconnect negative battery cable, wait 10 seconds, reconnect battery cable and turn ignition key on/off without
starting engine.
☐ Set clock and radio pre-sets for all bands (use auto pre-set feature if equipped).
☐ Check instrument cluster gauges for proper operation.
☐ Set language and reset oil minder in Electronic Message Center.
☐ Check all safety belts and seat back latches. Remove any temporary bands from belts or buckle ends (if applicable).
5. Road Test
☐ Check safety belt chime/dash indicator.
☐ Start vehicle and check throttle and idle return, check driveability.
☐ Check for squeaks and rattles, vibration and windnoise.
☐ Check steering control for proper alignment and steering wheel centering.
☐ Check transmission performance.
☐ Check speed control (if equipped).
☐ Check reverse park aid (if equipped).
☐ Check brakes (including parking brake).
☐ Check heater, air conditioner, defroster, ventilation and electric cooling
fan systems.
6. Appearance
☐ Remove interior covers.
☐ Remove exterior covers. Do not remove protective wheel covers until customer delivery.
☐ Wash vehicle, clean the wiper blade element.
☐ Inspect paint. For factory defects, refer to Warranty and Policy Manual for repair policy. Repairs due to lot damage are the responsibility of the Dealership.
☐ Clean all inside windows and mirrors.
☐ Install floor mats in vehicle. Note: The driver’s floor mat must be securely fastened to the floor by attaching the mat to the provided hook or snap grommets.
Do not place a floor mat on top of an existing floor mat.
☐ Place necessary owner publications in vehicle. Include the owner card and keyless entry code card (if equipped).
7. Customer Delivery (Items in this section should be completed just prior to customer delivery.)
☐ Remove protective polyethylene wheel covers.
2012 Mustang Boss/Boss Laguna Seca Package Pre-Delivery Service Record
Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Dealer Stock Number:
Pre-Delivery Inspection Date:
See the Work Shop Manual or the Owner's Guide for specifications and details on performing any procedures or for description and operation of vehicle features.
All repairs found necessary during this pre-delivery inspection must be completed prior to delivery of the vehicle. Dealership authorized personnel in the service
department should perform appropriate diagnostics and warranty repair (if applicable) per Ford Motor Company service publication procedures and warranty
policies. See Ford Warranty and Policy Manual for directions on submitting Transportation or Warranty claims, repairs not meeting this criteria are the
responsibility of the Dealership.
Dealer Name: Dealer Sales Code:
By signature below, I certify that all items on this sheet have been inspected on this vehicle in accordance with all applicable procedures and all necessary
operations have been performed by a service technician. I confirm that all open recalls and field service actions have been completed. I understand that it is a
Sales and Service Agreement requirement to maintain this record in the Dealer's vehicle service file.
Dealer Authorized Signature: Technician Signature:

Congratulations. Are you going to either install larger exhaust disc or remove them all together? Be sure to post a couple of photos. You'll need to use and external photo hosting site like photobucket.

Okay, little help here....I can't seem to post a pic directly....I tried both the URL and the image string from my photobucket hosted pic, and I can't get the pic to open in a reply to this thread....what am I doing wrong?

YellowMan said:
Okay, little help here....I can't seem to post a pic directly....I tried both the URL and the image string from my photobucket hosted pic, and I can't get the pic to open in a reply to this thread....what am I doing wrong?
Either paste the IMG link from photobucket or paste the url into the Insert Image from above, the third from the left. Looking good!

DSC00916.png

TMO Supporting Vendors