The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Finished DIY rear seat delete

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welp, stuck at home now to avoid the 'rona, so I might as well get to work on this. Any overachievers out there save a template with measurements? The top section is pretty easy, but I'm finding the bottom to be quite a bit more challenging. The OP did a great job, but it also looks like it's just a straight cut along the sides, but the interior panels have two angled sections per side. Plus I'm having to negotiate a Watson rollbar. If you guys could post up any other DIY seat delete panels from your private photo collections, that might help, if not just motivate me. Thanks!
I might still have a cardboard template of a seat delete I was going to make before I got a deal on my Ford Racing seat delete. I will have to dig through my garage and get back to you on it.

Okay, I punted on the DIY rear seat delete. 2020 has been a rough year and I didn't want to risk murderous rage, if my DIY effort failed to meet my own standards. Also, I'm gainfully employed again and have more money than time, so I decided to treat myself to my favorite non-factory rear seat delete - the Watson Racing version, as found in the Watson Racing Rear Seat Delete Kit Group Buy thread. Or so I thought. Be advised that the kit shown in that thread is no longer the kit being sold by Watson Racing.

The Watson kit here does show correct photos of the new kit, but has the old (now inaccurate) description and the installation instructions (now incorrect) show the old kit. Also, the part number is the same! So, I thought the photos were wrong. The original kit was so well built and so well regarded, that I had no reason to believe they would have changed it. What Watson sells now is a kit from Shrader that has been modified to accomodate the Watson 4-pt roll bar. The most prominent modification being pre-drilled pass-through holes in the back panel for the rear downtubes.

Installation is accomplished by removing the roll bar's rear downtubes, installing the kit according the online instructions from Shrader, then passing the downtubes from the trunk and through the holes in the back panel, then reinstalling the downtubes.

In the end, I'm a bit upset that I didn't get what I thought I was paying for. But some of the overbuilt qualities and features of the original kit (like being finished on both sides of the panels and the lift-up storage panels) were actually things I didn't want. I mostly just wanted a simple plug-and-play kit from Watson, even if it was a little more than I wanted. At least it would be of the highest quality. Instead what I got was actually my ideal rear seat delete kit. I wanted it to be as simple and light as possible. And if possible, I wanted the downtubes to pass through two clean holes in the back panel. This is exactly the kit I was trying to design for myself. So, I'm very happy with the finished result, but it's impossible to overlook the fact that I got less for the same price of the old, bespoke kit. Watson charged $130 for drilling two holes, which at least were dead nuts accurate.

I'm very pleased with the Shrader Rear Seat Delete, which can be found here.

20201025_142338.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel