The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Fire Extinguisher Mount

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A few of you have contacted me about this so here's the contact information.

Last Fall I purchased a fire extinguisher mount from Steven McCarley whom Ken, PJwannbe, had recommended. It's a simple mount that bolts to the two front seat mount bolts. It's nothing fancy but quite functional. He also has a trunk mount available. Not nearly as sophisticated as the Brey Krause offering but not nearly as expensive either. ;) It mounts to either side but if you use it on the driver side you will not be able to use your floor mat pins. The seat still has full adjustment front and back. Steven was very easy to work with and very fast at responding to my questions. If you are interested in either the seat or trunk mounts drop Steven an email.

Seat mount = $30 plus shipping
Trunk mount = $20 plus shipping

Steven McCarley
(404)213-9693 cell
[email protected]

IMG_0553.jpg
P1020648.jpg
P1020647.jpg

GA
Steve McCarley did a nice design with that mount. I was looking for something just like it a few years ago, but it didn't exist. I went with this billet mount from Summit Racing and mounted it on the passenger side to the rear seat wall. This is actually easier for fat guys like me to reach in an emergency instead of down in front of the front seat, plus it looks dressier since I carry it all the time. These are pictures were from my '08 Bullitt but I removed it when I traded in the car and just installed in my '12 GT in the same place.

DSCN1396.jpg

DSCN1398.jpg

DSCN1399.jpg

In reference to a collision. Careful consideration should be given to the strength of the mounting hardware and it's ability to keep the extinguisher in it's mounted position during a high speed collision. I am not so sure I am willing to trust small gauge aluminum or stainless steel fasteners with this task. If you crashed at 50 MPH and the extinguisher became dislodged wouldn't it be going 50 mph? For example, if the metal lever/trigger mechanism were to catch your leg at this speed I guarantee there will be a considerable amount of trauma possible to soft tissue, muscle and veins and arteries. The blunt force could even cause a fracture. Perhaps these have been tested?? When you think about it most collisions primarily involve the front end with a forward motion. Also, most vehicle accidents do not involve fire.

You can hit the trunk release and get your extinguisher out of the trunk pretty damn fast if you need to.

Also, if it were to become dislodged while driving it could become stuck under the pedals.

Just something to think about.

Be Safe.

GA
My billet mount is supposed to be NHRA approved. Good point on the screws through - it would probably be a good idea to secure the mounting base with bolts, washers, and nuts.

regalt87 said:
Also, most vehicle accidents do not involve fire.
And I suspect most people tracking a car will never be involved in an accident. One of the clubs I run with requires a fire extinguisher mounted inside your vehicle along with all cotton clothing including long sleeves, non-mellting shoes, gloves, and a helmet.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
PJWANNABE said:
My billet mount is supposed to be NHRA approved. Good point on the screws through - it would probably be a good idea to secure the mounting base with bolts, washers, and nuts.

Some clubs (NASA for one) will ask you to remove the fire extinguisher if it's not securely (can handle some level of impact) mounted.

GA
PeteInCT said:
PJWANNABE said:

Some clubs (NASA for one) will ask you to remove the fire extinguisher if it's not securely (can handle some level of impact) mounted.

I had it mounted this way in my Bullitt and NASA-SE never said anything about it. NASA regions are different though.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
PJWANNABE said:
PeteInCT said:
PJWANNABE said:

I had it mounted this way in my Bullitt and NASA-SE never said anything about it. NASA regions are different though.

I don't NASA-NE would have an issue with that specific mount either. I just know they do pay attention to the mount design and strength.

drano38

Wayne
Not saying Rick's idea of using the original bolts doesn't work, but I decided to use longer bolts, ~ 1 3/8" long. And I stack 3 washers between the seat frame and the fire extinguisher mount since the seat hole is recessed. This prevents the extinguisher mount from bowing in when tightening the bolt.

Just to clarify since there was some confusion. I got the bracket from Steve and the fire extinguisher that should come with all the necessary hardware right (the dual straps/chrome mounting bracket)? No need for anything else (noticed Pete got a billet mount)

drano38

Wayne
If you got an extinguisher and mount, all you may need are screws to bolt the mount to the bracket, and a drill and bit to drill those holes.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel