The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Firestone Indy 500 Firehawk

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

As stated in the title, any love for the Firehawk Indy 500 on a Boss 302 for street use? They get good reviews for the money and Tire Rack has a rebate on them until mid April. Thanks.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Like Scoots, I would probably not suggest Firehawks as a first choice , but for your driving they would probably be fine. I would suggest you contact Luke Pavlik at Tire Rack ( tell him you are from TMO as the site gets a small renumeration if you by from them ) and ask him what he would recommend best for your usage. He is at extension #4362 and he is a track rat that knows what is new , what has recently changed and what might be the best fit for each driver's specific needs.

toll free -800-428-8355

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So Cal
Thanks, not wanting too much wheelspin with this car. The stock P zero's break loose as it is. These things are powerful cars !!

I find the Indy to have significantly better hook-up than the stock Pirelli. It's also much more manageable in terms of sliding around and recovery. I really didn't like the stock tires, but I'm a fan of the Indy. It's not spectacular at anything, but it's a reasonable "all-'rounder" and the price is right.

Thanks all, I'll continue to ponder and kick..... wait for it..... kick tires before I choose!!!! cue the symbol crash..
I run the Indy's on my 2013 Boss LS, when it looks like there might be rain during a session. Runs pretty decent wet or dry. Good wear. They're a bit loose on dry track until they come up to temp. Good value all around tire that you can run on the street or track.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
SydWays you need to do a " Build Thread " since I can see in your picture you have one of the rare ( barely over 200 ever made ) SBY Laguna Secas. As a former owner who wonders often if he should have kept that rare pony , listing your build who interest many on TMO , and hopefully you have been reading about the rebirth of one down in New Zealand? Thanks for the post and love your car , we just want to see more, ha.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Florida
I’m on my third set. 275/40 size. They need some heat to grip well in the dry. I love the wet performance of them on the street. They are noisy as hell on the highway. I autoX on them and they are alright. Not great, not bad for autoX.

TMO Supporting Vendors