The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

First 1/4 pass in Boss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MA
Finally made it to the track today with my Boss for the first time ever.

Conditions: Slight headwind, about 48-52 degrees, cloudy, and dry air in the early AM with the DA increasing ( assumption) as the day wore on.

I ran stock tires, and the only mod the car has in TK.

First pass off the highway with zero cool down:

1.999 60'
8.20 1/8
90.44 mph
12.55 1/4 mile
114.23 mph.

This pass above was with the regular key. I never checked tire psi, and stock shock settings. Had about 1/4 tank of gas. Launched at about 3k after a quick clean off of the tires.

Next pass, I launched a little harder but spun. This happened two more times in a row.

4th pass, I tried a light 1st gear burn out since I don't want to overheat the clutch with a 2nd gear burnout.

1.98 60'
8.12 1/8 mile
90.22 mph
12.46 1/4 mile
111 mph.

On this pass I thought for sure I would be in the 115 mph range, it felt clean, but the DA must have been getting up there and the car was being hot lapped bigtime.

Other passes were in the 12.57 range, mph around 111 mph, and short times were 1.99's.

I was learning how to launch all day, I made about 10 passes. Sort of tough on the stock tires, but it was satisfying to know that its possible to be able to make a pass on them, nonetheless. The car always chirped 3rd gear, and on the 1-2 shift, it is a little difficult to keep the power down, but far from impossible. I chirped 4th once on a real clean powershift.

All shifts were made at 7,000-7,200. Whenever I tried to hit shifts off at more than 7,200, it would not go into gear period. I only recall this happening on the 3-4 shift on 2 occassions.

Other than the first pass, all other passes were with TK. I set the 2 step at 5k so I wouldn't worry about it. I needed to establish a launch RPM based on feel, track prep, before I felt comfortable with the 2 step.

These cars continue to impress me. It's cool having a car you can both drag race and road race in stock form. Most fun I ever had going 12's in my life.

I plan on staying away from the 1/4 mile as much as I can. I want to keep this car stock and drag racing makes me go CRAZY with mods. I'm hoping to just enjoy this car overall and not worry about every little thing each mod ultimately compromises. These cars are great from the factory.

Next Boss experience for me will be at Lime Rock Park on 5-31-12. I cannot wait for that!!

Anyone on the fence about drag racing their Boss, don't be. Its a very stout car in stock form, it just takes a little restraint out of the hole and on the 1-2 shift to keep the power down.

MA
boss2511 said:
thats pretty good times for stock tires! you have a good mph. should crack a high 11 with better tires ie drag radials or slicks.

Thanks man.

I have a set of bias ply 28-11.50-16 tires and wheels that will fit, but wanted to see how the stock tires would work first, like how I drive it on the street. Besides, I don't have line lock, and the bias plys need a lot of heat, and these clutches don't like a lot of heat so without line lock, I didn't want to squander a pass with too hot of a clutch from holding the brakes while doing my 2nd gear burn to get them hot.

I think the car could easily run 12.0 with a sticky tire. My 60's were all 1.98-1.99 so a 1.78 or better would be about 3-4 tenths on the big end.

This for me is not a drag car, just a multi puropose 'toy'. I was just interested in proving to myself how many different talents the car has before I track it next!

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
SVT1 said:
boss2511 said:
thats pretty good times for stock tires! you have a good mph. should crack a high 11 with better tires ie drag radials or slicks.

Thanks man.

I have a set of bias ply 28-11.50-16 tires and wheels that will fit, but wanted to see how the stock tires would work first, like how I drive it on the street. Besides, I don't have line lock, and the bias plys need a lot of heat, and these clutches don't like a lot of heat so without line lock, I didn't want to squander a pass with too hot of a clutch from holding the brakes while doing my 2nd gear burn to get them hot.

I think the car could easily run 12.0 with a sticky tire. My 60's were all 1.98-1.99 so a 1.78 or better would be about 3-4 tenths on the big end.

This for me is not a drag car, just a multi puropose 'toy'. I was just interested in proving to myself how many different talents the car has before I track it next!
yeah I ran mine with ET streets 28x11.5 on 17's and did a 2nd gear burn out. dont have a line lock either. I was cutting 1.7's in the 60 ft but my mph was 114-112 the air was very bad that day...haze so bad you couldnt see the mountain in front of the track and it was really hot 85-90 track was hotter.

did you let the car cool down? I didnt and wonder how that would help or hurt its ET. next time I go I want to ice it down for an hour between runs. and this time i have the red key to try out.

MA
boss2511 said:
SVT1 said:
boss2511 said:

Thanks man.

yeah I ran mine with ET streets 28x11.5 on 17's and did a 2nd gear burn out. dont have a line lock either. I was cutting 1.7's in the 60 ft but my mph was 114-112 the air was very bad that day...haze so bad you couldnt see the mountain in front of the track and it was really hot 85-90 track was hotter.

did you let the car cool down? I didnt and wonder how that would help or hurt its ET. next time I go I want to ice it down for an hour between runs. and this time i have the red key to try out.

Yeah, the weather sounds like it really affected your MPH probably.

I didn't let it cool down more than about 20-30 minutes, tops, between runs. In fact, I hotlapped a couple of times. Really had no affect on ET that I could tell, nor MPH. The track was empty today so I literally drove right up the return road, into the staging lanes, and literally rolled back onto the track without having ever stopped! So the car was pretty hot. But, again, the weather was really, really cool today. Track was New England Dragway in NH. I think its 130' above sea level.

Ford says to turn it off if you are using LC, some slip is desirable (5% iirc what my book says). I don't think the LC does more than set a speed limiter, so I imagine it is the same for cars without redkey

MA
For drag racing it's best to disable all the electronic nannies. All they do is modulate power through the use of cutting power and applying the brakes.

Best bet is to just get seat time and practice.

Justin

SVT1 said:
For drag racing it's best to disable all the electronic nannies. All they do is modulate power through the use of cutting power and applying the brakes.

are you turning both off (hold down tcs button for ten seconds with the brakes on)?

MA
boss2511 said:
SVT1 said:

are you turning both off (hold down tcs button for ten seconds with the brakes on)?

Yes, that is exactly what I do. Otherwise, "Advance Trac On" applies brakes and cuts power same as Traction Control.

I'm old school. I prefer to drive my car myself. Even if they come out with a launch control like what is rumored for the 2013 GT500, I'd still drive it myself.

I think with more seat time I can get my 60's into the low 1.90's on stock tires. I only have about ten passes on the car at this point.

But, like I said above, I'd prefer to moderate my 1/4 mile trips in order to keep the car stock. I have a feeling I'm going to love road course driving and I don't want to start compromising Ford's engineering this car's handling in favor of an optimized straight line setup.

That, and running 12's NA is respectable to me. Especially for a stock 302 ci motor!

Justin

SVT1 said:
boss2511 said:
SVT1 said:

Yes, that is exactly what I do. Otherwise, "Advance Trac On" applies brakes and cuts power same as Traction Control.

I'm old school. I prefer to drive my car myself. Even if they come out with a launch control like what is rumored for the 2013 GT500, I'd still drive it myself.

I think with more seat time I can get my 60's into the low 1.90's on stock tires. I only have about ten passes on the car at this point.

But, like I said above, I'd prefer to moderate my 1/4 mile trips in order to keep the car stock. I have a feeling I'm going to love road course driving and I don't want to start compromising Ford's engineering this car's handling in favor of an optimized straight line setup.

That, and running 12's NA is respectable to me. Especially for a stock 302 ci motor!
oh yes I agree. I didnt learn of the how to turn both off for my first 1/4 mile trip. I think that is why I could get the 60' under 1.7 with the et streets on it. next time I am going to turn them both off.

MA
boss2511 said:
SVT1 said:
boss2511 said:
SVT1 said:

oh yes I agree. I didnt learn of the how to turn both off for my first 1/4 mile trip. I think that is why I could get the 60' under 1.7 with the et streets on it. next time I am going to turn them both off.

Yeah, you should get high 1.6X's. That's about it maybe, as the car isn't making enough beans in stock form to better that IMO.

If you can hook with a 6k RPM clutch drop, then it might do it.

MA
boss2511 said:
I was launching it at 6600....

Hmmm....

Well, try with the Advance Trac off and see what she does... could be all the chassis will hold for traction, and all the HP the car has to get 3650 lbs of Mustang moving.

Did it spin at all?

Justin

SVT1 said:
boss2511 said:

Hmmm....

Well, try with the Advance Trac off and see what she does... could be all the chassis will hold for traction, and all the HP the car has to get 3650 lbs of Mustang moving.

Did it spin at all?
video says it better
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lemoT65wZUk[/youtube]

MA
Nice video! ;D

Well, I'd say the chassis was holding onto the launch the best it could. I doubt Advance Trac hurt your launch judging by the video. You got quite a bit of tire spin it looked like, but the car still jumped out of the hole.

Did you pull out of the burnout box after you wet the tires, or did you spin in it?

Maybe try slipping the clutch out quickly instead of side stepping??

Nice launch though!! If I could have launched like that I have little doubt a 12.0 would have been possible.

Justin

SVT1 said:
Nice video! ;D

Well, I'd say the chassis was holding onto the launch the best it could. I doubt Advance Trac hurt your launch judging by the video. You got quite a bit of tire spin it looked like, but the car still jumped out of the hole.

Did you pull out of the burnout box after you wet the tires, or did you spin in it?

Maybe try slipping the clutch out quickly instead of side stepping??

Nice launch though!! If I could have launched like that I have little doubt a 12.0 would have been possible.
yeah I always carry the burnout out from the box. and I dont side step the clutch just let the clutch out with my foot like normal. the track had like no prep what so ever other than them blowing the dust off. here is another video of me against my brothers 05
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZXzCDW-LqA[/youtube]

MA
CaliMR said:
Announcer said you were racing for pinks

Are you supposed to side step the clutch or just lift quickly?

In a basically stock car, you just want to lift the clutch quickly. Especially with stock tires.

Next time I go, I'm going to try slipping it out more, sort of like what a big converter does in an auto trans, I think I was releasing it a little too fast.

DA712

Owner of 2012 & 13 Boss 302's
boss2511 said:
SVT1 said:
boss2511 said:

Hmmm....

Did it spin at all?
video says it better
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lemoT65wZUk[/youtube]

Nice pass, You'll see 11's when you get some better air & temps for sure.

TMO Supporting Vendors