The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

First Boss Dyno Run 416 RWHP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thanks for posting! This has to be the TracKey tune based on that flat torque curve. Love to see that power all throughout the RPM range. They imply that the rev limiter is really 7700. Hopefully that's the first of the positive changes we'll see with the Trackey tune. "In fact, the fuel cut appears to be about 7,700 rpm" Does anyone know if the GT cuts fuel or spark? A friend of mine with a GT said when it hits the limiter it's somewhat violent to the point it snaps you forward. On my GT500 I believe it slows spark so not violent, just sluggish.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
cloud9 said:
Does anyone know if the GT cuts fuel or spark? A friend of mine with a GT said when it hits the limiter it's somewhat violent to the point it snaps you forward. On my GT500 I believe it slows spark so not violent, just sluggish.
Not sure, but I'm assuming you can verify this firsthand very soon, based on your delivery date?

ArizonaGT said:
cloud9 said:
Does anyone know if the GT cuts fuel or spark? A friend of mine with a GT said when it hits the limiter it's somewhat violent to the point it snaps you forward. On my GT500 I believe it slows spark so not violent, just sluggish.
Not sure, but I'm assuming you can verify this firsthand very soon, based on your delivery date?
LOL was thinking of breaking it in aggressively but not going out and banging the heck out of the rev limiter right out of box LOL

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
cloud9 said:
LOL was thinking of breaking it in aggressively but not going out and banging the heck out of the rev limiter right out of box LOL

vagina. Do it for the common good!

ArizonaGT said:
cloud9 said:

vagina. Do it for the common good!
LOL. I'm afraid I'm going to be the guinea pig for a lot of things......plusses and minuses to getting an early car :)

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
cloud9 said:
LOL. I'm afraid I'm going to be the guinea pig for a lot of things......plusses and minuses to getting an early car :)

Your mindset is the problem here, think of it as being a "pioneer" in Boss peformance :)

so much for all of the less torque talk...the Boss mirrors the GT up to 4500 rpm and then takes off matching the GT's peak HP by 5500rpm with over 2000 rpm left on the table. Very impressive.

cloud9 said:
BossJockey said:
Cool, Do you know if you have to go to a FR dealer, or can you go to any FR supplier? The FR locator shows a local hot rod shop as be a reseller of FR products.
I'm not sure as my dealer is also a FRPP dealer. It sounds like that would be an option for you. I would just call FRPP or that shop and confirm with them on Monday.

Looks like only Ford Racing authorized Ford car dealer will be able to program the Tune. Sound like most dealers are still clueless about it thought.

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f813/getting-track-key-492330/

Studying this chart also leads me to believe that swapping the intake cam will result in big gains...look at how the graph starts slowing at ~6200 rpm. This has to be due to the GT intake cam. I bet an aggressive intake cam and tune put this engine at 450rwhp at 7500rpm.

Mark said:
so much for all of the less torque talk...the Boss mirrors the GT up to 4500 rpm and then takes off matching the GT's peak HP by 5500rpm with over 2000 rpm left on the table. Very impressive.
I know it's all about lap times....lap times....lap times....but I just hope I'm not disappointed in the power. Most of the mods I have planned are to make it corner and brake better, but those hp and torque curves look very similar to my GT500 but except they are about 225 and 275 lower on the street and 160 and 190 on the track. The big difference is my GT500 falls on its face a little over 6000 RPM and the Boss looks like it will pull all the way to 7700 which will feel faster on a track....living between 5000 and 7700 RPM.

Mark said:
Studying this chart also leads me to believe that swapping the intake cam will result in big gains...look at how the graph starts slowing at ~6200 rpm. This has to be due to the GT intake cam. I bet an aggressive intake cam and tune put this engine at 450rwhp at 7500rpm.
I'm betting that tuners will uncork another 25 modifying the TracKey tune. An off-road X might get you another 25. I'm betting we'll see some of these things on the market by mid-summer.

GA
cloud9 said:
Mark said:
I know it's all about lap times....lap times....lap times....but I just hope I'm not disappointed in the power. Most of the mods I have planned are to make it corner and brake better, but those hp and torque curves look very similar to my GT500 but except they are about 225 and 275 lower on the street and 160 and 190 on the track. The big difference is my GT500 falls on its face a little over 6000 RPM and the Boss looks like it will pull all the way to 7700 which will feel faster on a track....living between 5000 and 7700 RPM.

The Bullitt starts falling off around 6300 but will still pull a little more up to the 6500 redline. I definitely noticed the performance difference over my 2007 GT.

cloud9 said:
I know it's all about lap times....lap times....lap times....but I just hope I'm not disappointed in the power. The big difference is my GT500 falls on its face a little over 6000 RPM and the Boss looks like it will pull all the way to 7700 which will feel faster on a track....living between 5000 and 7700 RPM.

There will be a big difference in the feel of this engine vs. your GT500. The "problem" with supercharged engines is they make torque so low down (yes that sounds very weird to say) so you don't get the crescendo at redline. I think alot of folks will be very surprised having not driven a engine like this. I expect it to have a serious top end like what an import motor would feel like if they had displacement. Think GT3RS but with the classic V8 sound.

cloud9 said:
I know it's all about lap times....lap times....lap times....

this is where we disagree...I am not racing anyone. There are alot of things you can do to make a car run a faster on track that you would or should never do to a street car. If the choice is 1-2 seconds on track vs. a spectacular feel, sound, and drive I choose the later every time.

Here is a quote for you:

"Love at first sight, maybe, but the Mustang will never “fit” like the BMW. Where the Bimmer inspires confidence in its driver positioning, the Mustang makes me feel like there’s no perfect way to adjust the seat. The dashboard is tall and the cockpit is dark. The controls are bulky and awkward. Oh well. Time to head out. I notice that the stability control system on this car is off by default. Just four turns later, I’ve decided to buy My First Mustang. This is, beyond the shadow of a doubt, the most neutral-handling street car I’ve ever driven on a track."

That is a pretty strong statement from someone that has likely driven some fairly impressive machinery.

Mark said:
Think GT3RS but with the classic V8 sound.
I keep saying the Boss is a reasonably priced (1/3 the price) 911 GT3 and the LS is a GT3 RS. ;D

Mark said:
cloud9 said:
I know it's all about lap times....lap times....lap times....but I just hope I'm not disappointed in the power. The big difference is my GT500 falls on its face a little over 6000 RPM and the Boss looks like it will pull all the way to 7700 which will feel faster on a track....living between 5000 and 7700 RPM.
There will be a big difference in the feel of this engine vs. your GT500. The "problem" with supercharged engines is they make torque so low down (yes that sounds very weird to say) so you don't get the crescendo at redline. I think alot of folks will be very surprised having not driven a engine like this. I expect it to have a serious top end like what an import motor would feel like if they had displacement. Think GT3RS but with the classic V8 sound.
I've tracked C6 Z06s and they rev limit at 7100. You're right it's a totally different feel. Frankly, I liken it to putting training wheels on my GT500 on the track. I have no doubt the Boss will be an "easier" car to drive on track and the power will be smoother and more predictabel. I am really excited to see a motor revving to 7700 and still pulling though!

cloud9 said:
I've tracked C6 Z06s and they rev limit at 7100. You're right it's a totally different feel. Frankly, I liken it to putting training wheels on my GT500 on the track. I have no doubt the Boss will be an "easier" car to drive on track and the power will be smoother and more predictabel. I am really excited to see a motor revving to 7700 and still pulling though!

I am not just referring to the higher RPM or naturally aspirated power curve but also the fact that peak power comes at redline. The Z06 curve falls toward redline:

1_Lance-08-Z06.jpg

although this is obviously more power than the Boss makes, having power increase all the way until the shift feels great. There are not any other large displacement naturally aspirated American V8's that do this that I'm aware of.

TMO Supporting Vendors