The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

First Boss Dyno Run 416 RWHP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Check it out.

http://50stangs.blogspot.com/2011/02/mustang-boss-302-dyno-video-is-up.html

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XonbZwYcIM0[/youtube]

SICK! Too bad they didn't show the graph at the end. I bet these things are going to make crazy power with a few tweaks.

cloud9 said:
That's awesome. The GT500 was only around 440 rwhp stock and weighed 300 lbs more.

Remember the GT500 is going make that power at lower RPM which means that it has more torques over a much wider RPM range. In a drag race the GT500 is much more likely to spin the tires but if it hooks the Boss will see only rear bumper.

908ssp said:
cloud9 said:
That's awesome. The GT500 was only around 440 rwhp stock and weighed 300 lbs more.

Remember the GT500 is going make that power at lower RPM which means that it has more torques over a much wider RPM range. In a drag race the GT500 is much more likely to spin the tires but if it hooks the Boss will see only rear bumper.

Remember the cars are geared very differently as well. I actually think the Boss beats the early GT500 fairly easily and will be about even with the newer ones (stock tires of course ;D).

Ok... So someone above said that was with the RED KEY, but I saw and heard no mention of that.

So was it or not? ???

That was actually pretty disappointing to me. In general a pretty lame video from supposed "professionals car media guys" to put out.

Then they don't show the torque curve, and what you can see............. you really can't see! BIG FAIL EDMUNDS!!! :mad:

I would love to see a dyno sheet of the regular key tune overlaid on the RED KEY TUNE print out!

Wouldn't you think one of these magazine or TV car guys would have thought to do that???

Is it me or is the state of automotive journalism even with all this amazing technology just really CRAPPY???

WHO are these guys? It seems most fairly savvy car forum guys have more gear head knowledge than these journalism school........... "products"??

Sorry for the negativity.. but they had a great chance to show some very cool info and they blew it.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
I guess, I'm still a bit disappointed in the torque. I mean my modded '06 GT makes only 10 less. It just seems low, but with a 10-15% loss, it's anywhere from 390-410. The rwhp is pretty good to me, assuming a 10% loss that's close to 460 at the fly, 480 for 15%. So either way, it looks like Ford was a bit conservative on the numbers. I'll take 460 and 390 all day and eat Camaros for breakfast.

908ssp said:
cloud9 said:

One guy did see the torque curve at the Chicago Auto show but no print out. It sounds like red key tune will have a similar torque curve to my GT500. See post #44.
https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-general-forum/a-little-competition-orange-love/msg1414/#msg1414

ufnavy06 said:
I guess, I'm still a bit disappointed in the torque. I mean my modded '06 GT makes only 10 less. It just seems low, but with a 10-15% loss, it's anywhere from 390-410. The rwhp is pretty good to me, assuming a 10% loss that's close to 460 at the fly, 480 for 15%. So either way, it looks like Ford was a bit conservative on the numbers. I'll take 460 and 390 all day and eat Camaros for breakfast.
The Camaro on a road course won't stand a chance against the Boss. Not even close. In a straight line, the Boss still wins with its significant weight advantage. Remember the numbers reported on this dyno are STOCK. You are comparing to your modded GT. For example, my GT500 put down 444/430 rwhp/rwtq. A TVS, pulley, CAI, tune and exhaust and we're at 640/625 rwhp/rwtq ;)

From the factory, I'm very happy with the Boss numbers, particularly if it's truly a steep flat torque curve all the way out to 7500+

Jimmysidecarr said:
I would love to see a dyno sheet of the regular key tune overlaid on the RED KEY TUNE print out!
Definitely. There must be a method to Ford's madness about how they are slowly leaking information about the red key or playing coy. It could be marketing to keep the interest high, or just a good ol fashioned nod, nod, wink, wink so they can meet the overwhelming number of federal regulations. Whatever it is, kudos to Ford for giving us something that looks like it's going to be really special from a factory peformance perspective. According to this interview, the red key tune will be "special". Here's one quote:

Are there any changes to the power delivery, such as the torque curve?
Absolutely. From an advertisement standpoint, we are not going to say that the TracKey gets you anything more than the base key. You’re welcome to go find out for yourself – it’s just the flip of a key. The low end torque is improved substantially, again making tradeoffs for basic drivability in order to deliver performance at all cost.

Here's the rest of the article. http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2011/02/24/jeff-seaman-mustang-powertrain-engineer-tells-us-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-trackey/

5 DOT 0 said:
Jimmysidecarr said:
Be patient, you'll see this in three to four weeks when the cars arrive.

Has anybody called FRPP to see if the TracKey:part number M-14204-MBTKA, is even available? I think some of the first Bosses are ready to ship.

BossJockey said:
5 DOT 0 said:
Jimmysidecarr said:

Has anybody called FRPP to see if the TracKey:part number M-14204-MBTKA, is even available? I think some of the first Bosses are ready to ship.
My car ships next week. Now that Ford has disclosed the price, I assume it will be available by the time the cars actually hit the dealership. Since it's simply a reflash, they can make it available with a keystroke.

cloud9 said:
BossJockey said:
5 DOT 0 said:
Jimmysidecarr said:

My car ships next week. Now that Ford has disclosed the price, I assume it will be available by the time the cars actually hit the dealership. Since it's simply a reflash, they can make it available with a keystroke.

Cool, Do you know if you have to go to a FR dealer, or can you go to any FR supplier? The FR locator shows a local hot rod shop as be a reseller of FR products.

BossJockey said:
Cool, Do you know if you have to go to a FR dealer, or can you go to any FR supplier? The FR locator shows a local hot rod shop as be a reseller of FR products.
I'm not sure as my dealer is also a FRPP dealer. It sounds like that would be an option for you. I would just call FRPP or that shop and confirm with them on Monday.

BossJockey said:
Welcome to Boss Mustangs Online. I see you've morphed from MJockey to BossJockey. I checked the list of and there's a local after market retailer (non-dealer) close to me on the list. I'm sure if they are on the list they are authorized to install the flash. Maybe they'll offer a discount as well.

5 DOT 0 said:
Welcome to Boss Mustangs Online. I see you've morphed from MJockey to BossJockey. I checked the list of and there's a local after market retailer (non-dealer) close to me on the list. I'm sure if they are on the list they are authorized to install the flash. Maybe they'll offer a discount as well.

Thanks. I'll have to give the local retailer a call.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Some actual graphs & comparisons to GT, from Edmunds:

2012_mustang_r34_ford_2-thumb-717x477-79015.jpg

2012_mustang_whl_ford_1-thumb-717x477-79017.jpg

By Josh Jacquot | February 27, 2011

We barely let the engine cool after the drive down from Monterey before rolling into MD Automotive in Westminster, California and strapping the 2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302 to its Dynojet chassis dyno.

Ford claims the Boss produces 444 hp at 7,500 rpm and 380 lb-ft of torque at 4,500 rpm -- a substantial horsepower gain over the stock 5.0 GT's 412 hp at 6,500 rpm and 390 lb-ft at 4,250 rpm. Ford reengineered just about every piece of the Boss 302's engine so the gain should be substantial. And it is.

A careful look at the Boss' power trace shows it making power all the way past redline. In fact, the fuel cut appears to be about 7,700 rpm -- an astonishing speed for a V8 this size. With coolant and oil temps stabilized, we saw three runs within five peak horsepower of one another. And when you're talking about 415 hp, that's pretty much dead consistent. The lines laid down right on top of each other.

But how big is the improvement relative to a 2011 Ford Mustang GT 5.0?

Big.

Ford claims a 32-hp difference between the peak output of these engines and we measured 36 hp. Perhaps more relevant is torque, which Ford claims to be 10 lb-ft lower in the Boss. Not according to our numbers. Sure, the torque peak comes 900 rpm later, but there are two more lb-ft to be had from the higher-revving engine. Of course, at 4,350 rpm, where the GT makes peak torque, the Boss trails by about 11 lb-ft.

What the data doesn't tell you is how transformational a 900-rpm increase in peak power is between these two engines. At the GT's power peak of 6,650 rpm, the Boss is alreay making 24 additional hp. And it continues over the next 900 rpm to pour on the coals and churn out another 12 hp.

Boss-chart-1600-thumb-717x477-78997.jpg

comparo-chart-boss-vs-GT-1600-thumb-717x520-78999.jpg

[Y]XonbZwYcIM0[/Y]

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel