The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

First Day on the Track at Palm Beach

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2012Boss said:
Now that I have my tires I really want to get advise on the pad and rotors. I will switch them out for track days and have the same thoughts as the tires, not burning up a set of expensive Brembos. If I use the pads you memtioned, will they be harsh on the stock rotors? Fluid is going to be changed real soon.

Best place/price to order the Dot 4, anyone got a link? Also anyone know what the factory Brembo pads and rotor cost, searched that but could not find them.
What did you do for track tires and wheels? Here's a link for DOT 4, pads, and brake lines.

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetails.php?PartID=140&CategoryID=214&ModelID=5

2012Boss said:
Thanks, glad to hear on the rotors, they looked OK to me but that means nothing at this point. I was unsure if I heated them too much by just looking at some of the markings there. They had no street time after so this is how they looked at the end of the race day. Yes they are the four piston Brembos, they stopped very well even when I pushed it down the straight-away and braked hard, no worries outside of boiling the fluid which did not happen.

Now that I have my tires I really want to get advise on the pad and rotors. I will switch them out for track days and have the same thoughts as the tires, not burning up a set of expensive Brembos. If I use the pads you memtioned, will they be harsh on the stock rotors? Fluid is going to be changed real soon.

Best place/price to order the Dot 4, anyone got a link? Also anyone know what the factory Brembo pads and rotor cost, searched that but could not find them.
What tires and size?

The rotors looked fine. Not sure what you're concerned about.

How much will the car be street/track driven? Daily driver/occasional track? Occasional street/weekend toy/track toy?

stuntman said:
What tires and size?

The rotors looked fine. Not sure what you're concerned about.

How much will the car be street/track driven? Daily driver/occasional track? Occasional street/weekend toy/track toy?

I went with 18x9 and 18x10 with Nitto 255 45 18, 285 40 18. I hope to upgrade to 05's or 01's in the future. The car is not a DD, just a weekend street and/or track car. So far I have very few miles on it. The tires will be changed out for the track days.

My concern on the rotors was if I heated them too much out there, just a question from a beginner. There was a thread I can not find at TMS with pics of someone that burned up the rotors, just wanted to make sure mine showed no signs of that.

Gary kind of blew holes in my thought of getting a set of pads and rotors for track use only, I was thinking something I could put on for track days and save the (expensive) Brembos. I figure the factory had to setup a mix of good track performance but also street-able. So I was thinking maybe there was a set of rotors and pads I could use only at the track that were less expensive to replace. I may upgrade to better pads for tracks like Sebring but need to see how these Brembos work out there in a few weeks. At that point if I need better stopping - cost will not be a big factor.

This is all just newbee learning questions.

2012Boss said:
Thanks, glad to hear on the rotors, they looked OK to me but that means nothing at this point. I was unsure if I heated them too much by just looking at some of the markings there. They had no street time after so this is how they looked at the end of the race day. Yes they are the four piston Brembos, they stopped very well even when I pushed it down the straight-away and braked hard, no worries outside of boiling the fluid which did not happen.

RaceShopper.com has good prices.
http://www.raceshopper.com/ate_brake_fluid.shtml
There web site is a little lame so it's best to call them.

I would definitely do the cooling ducts, they make a big difference on my M3. One time, one came lose and the stopping power diminished after just two laps.

Having never run on a track before I had no idea how much they heat up, learned a lot there. The ducts would be a great idea but not sure on them yet as I am not counting time or racing. I may have to go down that road depending on how much I get out there.

Is there a big gain in removing the rear dust shields? Seems like my rear brakes were hotter then the front, may not be true but that is what it looked/felt like to me. I have not even looked but are there dust shields up front that can be taken off? If so, will that help at all?

Removing the splash shields will help some. If you get the track junky bug, your going to need the ducts. ;) I would also run track temp pads, they can handle a lot more heat.
I think you rear got hotter because you left the traction control on. With traction control on the car will apply the rear brakes to keep the rear wheels from spinning faster that the fronts.

Can you remove the front or just the rears?

I did run the traction on first two times, then I went to sport mode. I had to leave it on again for the 4th run because of rain. I figured it best to run this way while I learn. I may get to the point of turning it off but that will come in time. I want to keep the car in one piece. Besides the tracking this is my first true performance car I have had outside of old big block Mustangs, and that was a whole other world.

5 DOT 0 said:
Nice. The red Boss has the older SVT wheels on it. Do you know if the owner was running a square setup or staggered? Do you know what the other owners did to prep for the track like cooling ducts, DOT 4, etc?

th_CIMG1335.pngth_CIMG1336.png

I looked over a lot of cars, if I remember correct I think it was a staggered set up. His prep consisted of an air clearner (pictured) -and- 150 miles on the car at the start of the day :eek: :eek: :eek:

I don't think so. There was a lot of members from TMS there including the site owner. I did not speak with him but several people recognized my car from the youtube disc experiments, my claim to fame I guess.

TMO Supporting Vendors