The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

First Drive of the BOSS!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I picked up the BOSS from the dealer today and had about an hour ride home on some decent roads. After I got home I took the wife and kid out for a ride and went down some better roads with more curves and yes I had to turn on the AC on because it got up to 80F today in Houston. The main thing I am going to compare it to, is my 04 Cobra that I have had for the pass 7 years with about 4 years of track duty.

First off is the looks, I happen to think it looks much better then the latter Mustangs. I like the color comb better with Ford using much more black then my CO Cobra. I really like the front grill, rims, tires, black out in the back, new mirrors, breaks, and splitter.

Second the interior – wow so much better than the 04. The fitment is unbelievable and everything seems to be much tighter. OMG the seats! I thought the Cobra seats where nice but these things are awesome. I never thought Ford would put Recaros in a Mustang. I went to start it up and when I pushed in the clutch I thought it was broken because it was so soft compared to the Cobra. The shifter was pretty impressive as well compared to my MGW. I don’t see how the after market could improve on it.

Checked out the spare tire and that was pretty cool with the pump and green slime.
Checked out the adjustable dampeners to what they were set on – 2 that was pretty cool too.
Checked out the oil cooler and tried to figure out how it was working. I love to see a flow diagram on that some day.

Now for the ride, I didn’t know how to act at first. I never drove a car without a throttle cable and it was a little different. I am used to driving a car with 500+ horse power so it seemed a little slow………at first! Once I got off the freeway and on to some back roads I got on it a little and man this thing came alive. It really kicked in over 5000RPM. It took me a while to get used to the shift points and clutch but at the end of the drive it felt great. I finally got into some corners and man this thing sticks. I got on it to see if it would break traction (traction control off) and the rear end planted, dug in and took off. I could not believe the traction on this thing, it is way better than the Cobra. It has to be the Torsen or the way Ford built the rear end but this thing just sticks.

The wife loved the seats and she commented on the road noise….to my supersize there was none, It was really quit inside. I just can’t believe the improvements Ford mead in 8 years. I may miss the big hit of the 584 HP of the Cobra but the ride, interior, exterior, and handling of the BOSS out weights the go fast stuff. Looking forward to taking out the side exhaust cut outs and installing the Track Key.

Wow great write up! I have not driven a Boss yet, although I've seen two LS cars and sat in one of them, but I have driven a 2011 Roush Stage 2 with their suspension mods. I suspect the Boss is setup similar with a firm yet compliant ride and I really liked it. I've also driven several other 2011 5 DOT 0's including a BBP car and the Roush rode nicer yet handled better and flatter. When I sat in the black LS that PJ signed I was surprised how heavy the clutch felt. I'm glad to hear production cars are not that heavy.

Your 2004 Cobra is a great looking car and I'm sure was killer in it's day but time and technology marches on. Even though the 2010+ cars are on the same platform as the 05-09 cars there seems to be quite a bit of improvement in the ride and quality of construction. And I bet your kids like the back seat better too. ;)

I look forward to reading your impression of your Boss when you get it out on the track. Especially in relation to how the rear behaves relative to your IRS Cobra. Enjoy the drive!

GA
Nice write-up, thanks. I would be disappointed if the Boss clutch felt like the '11 GT I drove- I did not like the "floppiness" of the clutch since it felt like it was broken like someone described. I got a little used to it but I felt like I was using muscle memory rather than feeling it. My Bullitt clutch is not overly heavy but I like the way it pushes back and giive you feedback so you can feel what is going on.

I have a feeling that the '05-'09 S197's will go down in Mustang history as the last of the "true" muscle cars. It seems like we will see more and more electronics and refinement in future Mustangs that take away from the muscle car feel. I was hoping that the Boss would put some of the rough edges back on the Mustang that has been missing since '10.

I feel the same way. I think the original muscle car is making one last stage appearance before the electrics and hybrids begin the new generation move to the future. With upcoming government mileage mandates and the groundswell nationwide to ditch our dependence on oil, I figure now until 2014, and perhaps in a relative form until 2020 or so, the muscle car as we know it will take its place in technological history.

For the collector (like the guy/s who spent $450K on the one-off LS at Barrett Jackson), buying and hanging on to this current iteration of Mustangs, Camaros and Challengers would seem to be a wise investment. For those of us who are going to actually drive our cars, with the way that they are built and the way we all maintain them, I'm sure we can pass them down to our kids and they'll have some pride in owing dad or mom's "vintage" muscle car.

As for the future after the muscle car, the technology will produce the fastest vehicles in history to date. The sound won't be the same, but our grandkids and their kids will have every bit as much fun driving/flying whatever as we did in the "antique" gas powered versions. I'm just glad I have a chance to own one of the very finest V-8 gas powered muscle cars that will ever be built. Enjoy 'em; hang on to 'em.

gee, how did I miss this post last night ????

Great write up -

I've been wondering why the sky has turned this nice shade of Orange lately 8)

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
jimprw said:
I feel the same way. I think the original muscle car is making one last stage appearance before the electrics and hybrids begin the new generation move to the future. With upcoming government mileage mandates and the groundswell nationwide to ditch our dependence on oil, I figure now until 2014, and perhaps in a relative form until 2020 or so, the muscle car as we know it will take its place in technological history.

For the collector (like the guy/s who spent $450K on the one-off LS at Barrett Jackson), buying and hanging on to this current iteration of Mustangs, Camaros and Challengers would seem to be a wise investment. For those of us who are going to actually drive our cars, with the way that they are built and the way we all maintain them, I'm sure we can pass them down to our kids and they'll have some pride in owing dad or mom's "vintage" muscle car.

As for the future after the muscle car, the technology will produce the fastest vehicles in history to date. The sound won't be the same, but our grandkids and their kids will have every bit as much fun driving/flying whatever as we did in the "antique" gas powered versions. I'm just glad I have a chance to own one of the very finest V-8 gas powered muscle cars that will ever be built. Enjoy 'em; hang on to 'em.

I dunno man, we've already been through this same rigamarole before in the 70s and 80s, and now times are better than ever for performance vehicles. Anyone that thinks the "golden age" of performance cars/muscle cars was the late 60s and early 70s is dead wrong--it's TODAY.

Agreed on the hybrid and alternate energy fronts providing more of a "threat" to the existence of muscle cars, but you don't honestly think that everyone will be able (or want) to afford one of these? Gas prices? How about a comparison with inflation taken into account.

At any rate, I don't think that performance (or muscle) cars are going away any time soon, but if they have to be a smaller portion of manufacturer's total builds due to stricter CAFE requirements, I do expect them to continue to get more expensive.

GA
5 DOT 0 said:
I'm contratian, I think of the new Boss 302 as a fast, great handling sports car not a muscle car. Call it whatever you want but I'm going to drive the wheels off it. I have a friend with a 1969 Mach 1 with the 428 CJ in pristine condition. The new Boss is so far beyond what that car ever was in terms of driving experience.

At least the Mustang is evolving in a positive direction. I don't think we will see a repeat of the Mustang II.

That is a perfect description of this car Orange Crush. You absolutely nailed it in an executive summary. The one thing I was surprised I kind of "missed" myself was how you pointed out the Torsen diff. I too have been amazed at the relative inability (in a good way) to drive this car sideways. It just plants and puts power to the ground. I was just thinking limited slip like in my GT500, but the Torsen truly is vastly different and effective. I still detect some of the panhard bar action under hard cornering so ultimately I think I'll install the Watts Link I have sitting in my garage.

cloud9 said:
That is a perfect description of this car Orange Crush. You absolutely nailed it in an executive summary. The one thing I was surprised I kind of "missed" myself was how you pointed out the Torsen diff. I too have been amazed at the relative inability (in a good way) to drive this car sideways. It just plants and puts power to the ground. I was just thinking limited slip like in my GT500, but the Torsen truly is vastly different and effective. I still detect some of the panhard bar action under hard cornering so ultimately I think I'll install the Watts Link I have sitting in my garage.

When you do I want to see a write up or a review... ;D

cloud9 said:

I plan on tracking it. Do you think the watts link will make a difference. I heard it's a pita to change the dif fluid with that on. Do you know if we can change the diff cover to add drain/fill plugs?

The more I drive it, yes I do think it will make a difference. Not just on track, but on the street as well. Under load, you can feel that diff arcing underneath you and the thrust angle being a little off until it sets and goes. I would think there is an option to get a diff cover with plugs, or some have mentioned the possibility of tapping the stock cover where it has blanks.

I'll have to search for a diff cover with fill/drain plugs. I don't have the means to thread it & I'm definitely ordering the watts link as soon as I get a build date. Thanks

BossJockey said:
Thanks for the nice write up Orange Crush. I may have miss it somewhere else, but what was your build date and what's your car#. Thanks

Thanks BJ!

Build date was 2/24/11 and the car number is #0199

5 DOT 0 said:
How about an update? Any new thoughts on handling, engine, shifting, etc? Is it fast enough? ;D

Ok I'll give you an update. I drove it today for awhile, I wanted to put over 100 miles on it before I put it up and I managed to put 110 on it.

Handling is still awesome. I went down to one of the clover leafs on the freeway and went around it a couple of times and pushed it a little and the tires never squalled. I am only pushing it as hard as I would push the Cobra before I think it would break traction or drift. But this thing just sticks! Every time I push it a little harder in a corner and exit out I just say “WOW this thing can handle.

So far I haven’t pushed the engine to hard. I got it up to 6500 a few times, but like Cloud9 said, I want to break in right. I looked the engine over last night in the garage and there were a couple of things I noticed 1) was how Ford really boxed in the radiator 2) how they routed the oil cooling hoses (much better than the Cobra) 3) how solid the steering linkage looked 4) there are two accessory belts 5) the two skirts on the side of the intake are not plastic but some sort of soft foam. 6) There is a lot more sound absorbing or deadening material under the hood than the Cobra.

Shifting is getting easier. I was able to catch a couple of scratches in 2nd and 3rd and not really trying to just driving a little more aggressive. I am getting used to pushing down for Reveres; this is really different than the Cobra. I really have to say Ford did an excellent job on the shifter, like I said earlier the aftermarket is going to have to work hard to improve on it.

Yes! It is fast enough. It hooks up so well it feels much faster than it is. And now I see why after the YouTube video of the drag strip runs. For me to run those times in my Cobra I had to modify it. I had a pulley and a tune and running 12.08 with 480HP and this thing is running 11.7 with stick tires, Unbelievable!
One thing I notice is the transition between gears, going from 1st to 2nd to 3rd, it really just squats down puts the traction to the ground. I can’t wait to get it broke in so I can rev it to the moon…

TMO Supporting Vendors