The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

First Drive of the BOSS!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5 DOT 0 said:
Thanks. Do you still have your Cobra? Boy if you're that impressed revving it to 6500 imagine how impressed you're going to be at 7500! Oh have you had a chance to really stomp on the brakes? How's the fit and finish of the interior and the seats?

No I sold the Cobra in January to a buddy of mine in Maine. I was going to put about 200 miles on it before I bed in the brakes but so for they fell pretty good. They deffently feel bigger than the Cobra but I haven't stomped on them yet.

The interior to me does not look or feel like a regular Mustang that I am used to. I have had a 93 GT, 03 Mach, and a 04 Cobra and the interior of the BOSS is 10X better. Every thing is solid.

The seats are very comfortable and adjust very easily. I have a buddy with new Recaros in his Cobra that he paid around $3000 for and the BOSS seats are better in my opinion. I couldn’t believe the Recaros would come with airbags. So for I have gotten more compliments on the seats than anything else.

ORANGE CRUSH said:
I just rolled 200 miles tonight. ;D
How many WOT tests have you done and how does it sound at 7,500 RPM?

steveespo said:
I drilled and tapped my cover at the 'bosses' with 1/4" NPT tap and used flush brass hex drive plugs. Really wasn't hard at all. See pic below.
Steve

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h416/steveespo/Bossparts057.jpg
Looks great Steve. My dealer put this cover on his GT and did the same thing. I'll need to do this before putting on the Watts Link. I'm not familiar with this, but is 1/4" a "standard" size? Will you fill to the top fill hole that you tapped or is that overfilled?

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I used 1/4" NPT because the casting has a passage at each boss that is the same diameter as the drill size (7/16") for it. I didn't want to go bigger and cut into this and possibly break througn the side. For draining there will be no problem, for filling I will need a tube that fits inside the hole to attach my pump hose to. Plan to open the fill plug in the front of the axle housing and observe when it tops off in relation to the cover plug just to confirm fluid level is correct. When I installed I used the front plug and left the cover plug in, so I didn't check it then.
Steve

I rolled 350 miles this weekend and did a couple WOT. Yeah it pulls! Took the attenuation disc out Saturday afternoon and it sounds really good. I even took the side exhaust off and cleaned them up a bit before I put them back on. Yes it was very easy to do.

I realize now I don't have to buy an exhaust system since it sounds so good and I am flowing more. Which is the point of buying an exhaust system. Money saved. I can't wait for the Track Key!

ORANGE CRUSH said:
I rolled 350 miles this weekend and did a couple WOT. Yeah it pulls! Took the attenuation disc out Saturday afternoon and it sounds really good. I even took the side exhaust off and cleaned them up a bit before I put them back on. Yes it was very easy to do.

I realize now I don't have to buy an exhaust system since it sounds so good and I am flowing more. Which is the point of buying an exhaust system. Money saved. I can't wait for the Track Key!
I'm going to reserve judgement on the exhaust at this point. With the discs out it sounds awesome from the sides. It's still way too quiet from the axle backs. I would consider axle backs that flowed better and were lighter, but if I'm going to change them, I'd change the mid-pipe and delete the sides to save a ton of weight. I'm betting there's 70 lbs to be had by doing that. So, for now I'll wait and see what others come up with, but I think there are reasons to consider a different exhaust if you track the car.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I'll bet you could pay for a whole exhaust system by selling the BOSS sidepipe setup on ebay...

I was worried that the stock mufflers would be too quiet...GT500 mufflers sound to be a good way to go from the GT guys...also I've heard good things about the ROUSH mufflers.

Yeah if I do axle backs it will mainly be for the weigh. If the after market comes out with a High Flow full 3" H-pipe with the side attachments I would get it.

TMO Supporting Vendors