The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

First event question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi all,

I'm thinking about attending a car control clinic event that the BMW CCA Los Angeles chapter is holding this Saturday. A few caveats

I have about 390 miles on the odo, I don't think I'll have time to change any fluids out (diff, oil, tranny, brake fluid to DOT4) by Sat morning.

Here's a description of the event

"At this event we will have three distinct play areas for you. There will be a wet skid pad, a dry skid pad and a slightly condensed autocross course. You are free to go to which ever area you want at any time during the day. The only catch is that every hour a group of people will park their cars and go work assigned areas. At the end of the hour you will get back in your car and keep playing. There is no other structure to the day...just practice and play. No trophies will be awarded for the autocross, but we WILL run timing (contrary to the announcement made at the May 20 event)."

Doesn't seem like it'll be too hard on the car, think I can go run this event with my virgin bone stock fluid Boss? Thanks in advance.

So it looks like the event is Sunday so I do have time to change out the fluids but again I think this won't be nearly as a hard of a track day. If that's the case should I just swap in DOT4 brake fluid?

You'll be fine running your car stock for that event. I wouldn't worry about anything other than sustained redline runs. Keep those to a minimum until you have 1,000 miles on your car. An occasional bounce off the rev limiter won't hurt the engine and will increase your fun factor. ;) Have fun and post some photos of the event if you can.

You'll be fine running bone stock for that event. Even for a regular autocross event, the factory fluid is more than adequate. You can't heat up your brakes enough in an autocross event to have a boiled fluid situation. It's when you decide to head to a road course that you'll need upgraded brake fluid. All of the rest of your stock fluids are fine for the road course, you just need to significantly shorten the change intervals.

Oil - roughly 4 hours
Diff fluid - 12 hours
Trans -12-24 hours (no solid info on this yet)

cloud9 said:
You'll be fine running bone stock for that event. Even for a regular autocross event, the factory fluid is more than adequate. You can't heat up your brakes enough in an autocross event to have a boiled fluid situation. It's when you decide to head to a road course that you'll need upgraded brake fluid. All of the rest of your stock fluids are fine for the road course, you just need to significantly shorten the change intervals.

Oil - roughly 4 hours
Diff fluid - 12 hours

Gary, by hours do you mean redline hours at the track on the fluid? :eek:

fduboss302 said:
cloud9 said:

Oil - roughly 4 hours
Diff fluid - 12 hours

Gary, by hours do you mean redline hours at the track on the fluid? :eek:
Track hours. I track it by laps. I have a GPS lap timer that records lap times. I just multiply the laps by the average lap time to come up with hours.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Dang , no wonder Cloud 9 is the King of Mods, I just figure if I run a 20 minute session , that is 20 minutes and I add them up later with a pen and notepad. Crap he has GPS and is down to the seconds and 10ths.

Again, I am not worthy. In fact I think I better forget about more mods as I can tell Gary is thinking of doing things my old mind can't even fathom. Just hope my pen doesn't run outa ink or I am really screwed.

Bill Pemberton said:
Dang , no wonder Cloud 9 is the King of Mods, I just figure if I run a 20 minute session , that is 20 minutes and I add them up later with a pen and notepad. Crap he has GPS and is down to the seconds and 10ths.

Again, I am not worthy. In fact I think I better forget about more mods as I can tell Gary is thinking of doing things my old mind can't even fathom. Just hope my pen doesn't run outa ink or I am really screwed.
And I done cipher it with my abacus :p

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Bill - He needs the GPS based timestamps because he drives to fast that the laws of physics and the speed of light do not apply. A 20 min run for Gary in 'our time' really takes him only 19 mins... So by doing the calculation he saves money on fluids in the long run! ;D

Lol well the truth is it seems like I end up with more or less sessions and not always the normal length due to one thing or another (break, asleep at the switch when session starts, rain, alternate universe :p)

PeteInCT said:
You guys don't recognize him but gary starred in the movie 'PAUL' ;D
Hahahaha this thread's really gone off in the weeds! I had to google that one Pete.

P.S. You want some chicken gizzards to go with your relish tray Pete? ;D

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
cloud9 said:
PeteInCT said:
Absolutely - but only the pickled kind. I need to stay off the fried foods cuz the Boss' seats just about fit my tush!

I'm going to ship you a case of these to hold you off until you can get back to NE ;D LOL

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35468153801@N01/6868544822/
Since I'm going to WI this weekend, I'll send you some of these. Just upgrade to the Recaro extra large race seat.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Are those frieds buffalo %$#@ ? ;D

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Pete ,

Don't eat those , they ain't deep fried cheese curds, those are them deep fried rabbit turds. They eat funny things in South Dakota, but I guess it makes them fast on the track. I heared Gary was fast, so I am trying to get a new class for us old farts when we get to Motorsports Park Hastings. Gary can run in the young whippersnapper group , and a bunch of us are going to run our Bosses in the AARP ( arthritic ,aged , racing people ) Class.

TMO Supporting Vendors