The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

First F1 Race this Weekend

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
As a fellow F1 Fan I am with you and the irony is I will have to tape it, since my son and I will be autocrossing his EVO 9 out at the Solo Nationals site in Lincoln, Ne. Blacksheep1 , we will be on A7s so cheer us on, ha!

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I will admit to be a Devotee, likely due to the fact that I was in Europe during the 60s, Dad was an F1 fan , and he passed his love of speed to his children ( no surprise for a Fighter Pilot ). I am totally enjoying the July 4th weekend as right now I am watching Practice 2 for the Austrian Grand Prix. Delayed a bit, as I had some honey do's early this am, but only about 2 hours behind on my recording. Later today , Practice 3 , and then qualifying and the race this weekend. Thank you F1, helps relieve a little of the Covid Cabin Fever!!!

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
That was a crazy race... a lot more attrition than I expected, but then again, it was the first race of the season. Lots of excitement towards the end. And they're doing it all again this coming weekend. 🤘

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Said situation for Albon, and the penalty Hamilton was assessed was definitely justified. Great to see more competition and maybe it was just me, but it even seemed the qualification times found drivers in a tighter pack. Exciting to see McClaren competitive throughout the race!

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
It was refreshing to see McLaren and Racing Point both doing pretty well - conversely, Ferrari looked terrible, and appeared to get EXTREMELY lucky there at the end. Really happy for Norris.

I go back and forth on the Hamilton/Albon incident, but can't argue it wasn't a justified penalty. I suppose LH could have hit the brakes mid corner and concede to try and avoid contact like he did on the first lap when he was trying to overtake. Albon did take a big risk going around the outside in that particular corner, which had very little run off. I don't know if the image below is actually from the incident (it's being used in an article for it) but it appears as if Albon had more room available. It looks different from the onboard from Hamilton's car though, so I'm a little hesitant to trust it's from the collision. Even then, still not bothered by the penalty - it's definitely another big debate for the Hamilton fans and the haters though LOL!

Albon-Hamilton-crash.jpg

I remember when F1 was so damn boring and there was never a pass for the lead. Then came a brash new talent, Juan Pablo Montoya, who immediately took Michael Schumacher to task. Finally F1 is fun to watch and I honestly don't know who will win, except I know it will most likely be a Mercedes.

If this is the future of F1, it’ll pickup quick. mclaren was really competitive out of nowhere. even stroll was 4th in q2....thats awesome.

the most frustrating thing is when mercedes is 30 seconds ahead and then they still have a more power setting they can use. Wtf r they doing.....level the playing field already.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
After cutting the cord I find it hard to watch F1.
We've been using a Roku for all of our TV for over 8 years now... funny enough, our daughters don't even know how to use a DirecTV interface.

I'll admit, I had issues with the F1TV app this past weekend and had to resort to using the ESPN app on Roku (for which you need a cable account login to use - we use a family member's login) to watch the weekend festivities. Hopefully I'll get that app figured out before this weekend. Point is, there are a couple ways now to watch F1 for cord cutters. If you don't want to pay for the F1TV app you can watch it on ESPN (you can get ESPN through Sling, Hulu, and a couple other services).

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
I'm hoping it stays like this, and with the budget caps kicking in for next season, I think it'll get even better.

Agree with Tonymustang, how can Mercedes be so superior to the other teams? It would be much more fun without them from my standpoint. I don't think this is driver superiority, Mercedes has something (technology) the other teams don't have. F1 allows their trade secrets to be sacrosanct.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Agree with Tonymustang, how can Mercedes be so superior to the other teams? It would be much more fun without them from my standpoint. I don't think this is driver superiority, Mercedes has something (technology) the other teams don't have. F1 allows their trade secrets to be sacrosanct.
I'm really surprised F1 hasn't found a way to take away the Mercedes advantage through the rules yet... or maybe Merc has just kept ahead in multiple areas, making it difficult for any one rule change to hurt them. Hopefully the new formula will result in a few years in a row where there isn't a dominant team/driver. Tough to have that in F1 though, unless you turn it into a spec series.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
I'm really surprised F1 hasn't found a way to take away the Mercedes advantage through the rules yet... or maybe Merc has just kept ahead in multiple areas, making it difficult for any one rule change to hurt them. Hopefully the new formula will result in a few years in a row where there isn't a dominant team/driver. Tough to have that in F1 though, unless you turn it into a spec series.
I hope that next year will be a big level setting, as right now, the Mercedes team is just short of 500 mil, where other than Ferrari and Red Bull, most teams are closer to 150-200. Next year, the tech budgets are capped at like 135m, and they'll drop by 5m each additional year, and it's a hard cap, not like baseball where you go over and just pay a slush fund. Salaries and marketing aren't included, so there's nothing stopping them from overpaying for the best driver, but there is some amazing young talent in F1 that shows promise for years to come.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel