The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

First F1 Race this Weekend

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1995CobraR

Three time Champion
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Sandy Springs, GA
...how can Mercedes be so superior to the other teams?

Mercedes does a better job in preparing a better car. They have more funding and a great driver in a 6-time F-1 Champion Lewis Hamilton.
Hammer.jpg

1995CobraR

Three time Champion
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Sandy Springs, GA
If they only had 5 lug nuts. He still may have a job.

I raced a car with a wheel lock (that's what I called it). It was a 1959 Austin Healey Sprite with wire wheels. Each side tightened differently (opposite the wheel rotation). Just saying, but I was careful before going to the grid. There is nothing more embarrassing than a wheel going down the track in a different direction than the car.
ScanSprite.jpg

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
I guess that guy will be looking for a new job.

It was the HAAS team during the 2018 F1 season. Lost both cars in same race.

Haas suffer double retirement due to loose wheel nuts.

1995CobraR

Three time Champion
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Sandy Springs, GA
Haas suffer double retirement due to loose wheel nuts.

The entire Haas F-1 team has been a disaster since they started in 2016. They have a Ferrari engine and still rarely finish in the points (top ten).

I think F-1 is helping them with extra financial support to keep them from completely withdrawing.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
It has been a rough road ,though they did cause a bit of controversy in 2016 finishing 8th out of 11th as a new Team with the Ferrari engine. I think we all want them to succeed , but I have not been terribly impressed with their two drivers and their attitudes , wonder how you feel about those two, Doc ?

1995CobraR

Three time Champion
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Sandy Springs, GA
I think we all want them to succeed , but I have not been terribly impressed with their two drivers and their attitudes , wonder how you feel about those two, Doc ?

I am not impressed with either one. They make too many mistakes.

Toto Wolff is the reason that Mercedes has a good car off the truck. The Hammer is a great World Champion driver. He and Toto seem to move up a step when threatened by Ferrari and Red Bull (Honda engine).

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I agree and Toto and Hamilton are a great pair and I also really like Bottas. Hamilton is controversial , but it is kind of funny as what he does is kind of a throw back to some of the drivers in 60s and 70s who partied and caroused ( because they were not sure they would be alive after some of the races ). He is not my favorite of the F1 pilots , but it is impossible not to respect his talent.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
I agree and Toto and Hamilton are a great pair and I also really like Bottas. Hamilton is controversial , but it is kind of funny as what he does is kind of a throw back to some of the drivers in 60s and 70s who partied and caroused ( because they were not sure they would be alive after some of the races ). He is not my favorite of the F1 pilots , but it is impossible not to respect his talent.
I like several drivers in F1. I've always been a big Kimi fan, I like Ricciardo, Lerclerc, Bottas, and Hamilton. Never was a big fan of Vettel, though he has had a great career. Verstappen isn't my favorite but he's got a ton of potential and is damn fast. I hope to see Leclerc, Albon, Ocon, Norris, Russell, and all the younger drivers do well.

Hamilton earned my respect his rookie season. Hell, if he didn't make that rookie mistake entering the pits in China, getting stuck in the gravel, he likely wins the title his debut year. Not something you see all the time at that level. Some might find him polarizing but that's just sports. People are drawn to different personas for whatever reason. I just enjoy watching them race.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
I am not impressed with either one. They make too many mistakes.

Toto Wolff is the reason that Mercedes has a good car off the truck. The Hammer is a great World Champion driver. He and Toto seem to move up a step when threatened by Ferrari and Red Bull (Honda engine).
I always hoped Magnussen would do better than he has, probably because I enjoyed watching his dad race.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
I like several drivers in F1. I've always been a big Kimi fan, I like Ricciardo, Lerclerc, Bottas, and Hamilton. Never was a big fan of Vettel, though he has had a great career. Verstappen isn't my favorite but he's got a ton of potential and is damn fast. I hope to see Leclerc, Albon, Ocon, Norris, Russell, and all the younger drivers do well.
It sure has come a long way from the days of what was pretty much only Mika vs Mike.

I dont like hamilton because F1 Stewards constantly bend the rules For his benifit. This last Race was the first Time they actuslly started holding him accountable.

i cant wait til the spending caps. Theres a reason Merc may stop....they wont have a winning edge if they are forced to play fair.

and then redbull....how the hell did mcclaren has such terrible luck with honda and Then redbull made it amazing

EIGHTLUG

https://www.archetyperacing.com
Supporting Vendor
I dont like hamilton because F1 Stewards constantly bend the rules For his benifit. This last Race was the first Time they actuslly started holding him accountable.

i cant wait til the spending caps. Theres a reason Merc may stop....they wont have a winning edge if they are forced to play fair.

and then redbull....how the hell did mcclaren has such terrible luck with honda and Then redbull made it amazing
Forced to play fair? It's teams like Ferrari and Mercedes that move the sport forward. F1 is meant to be the best of the best. Be it drivers, technology, and race circuits. Nerfing alpha teams and dumbing down the sport so everyone is competitive does not move the sport forward and does not foster a drive for better technology. Engineering in F1 cars eventually filters down to road cars. If DAS can be adapted to road cars in the future, I'm all for it! R&D for tech like that is not cheap. If a company like Merc isn't going to be receiving millions upon millions of dollars from their championship to put back into R&D, why would they want to stay in F1 and get faster for next season? They can sit in offices in Stuttgart and R&D parts, instead of fielding the two fastest cars on the grid and supplying the best PUs.

When was the last time something developed out of a spec series like INDY found its way into a road car? .... My point. So you're okay with dumbing down the sport so the trash teams like Williams and Haas can be competitive?

Sorry, but I'll take DAS, carbon fiber monocoque, stability control, KERS, 50% thermal efficiency in engines, active aero, active suspension... I can go on and on. Yeah, sorry, not sorry, I'll take an F1 sport that lets the best teams develop more tech (eventually for me) and kick everyone else's ass.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Forced to play fair? It's teams like Ferrari and Mercedes that move the sport forward. F1 is meant to be the best of the best. Be it drivers, technology, and race circuits. Nerfing alpha teams and dumbing down the sport so everyone is competitive does not move the sport forward and does not foster a drive for better technology. Engineering in F1 cars eventually filters down to road cars. If DAS can be adapted to road cars in the future, I'm all for it! R&D for tech like that is not cheap. If a company like Merc isn't going to be receiving millions upon millions of dollars from their championship to put back into R&D, why would they want to stay in F1 and get faster for next season? They can sit in offices in Stuttgart and R&D parts, instead of fielding the two fastest cars on the grid and supplying the best PUs.

When was the last time something developed out of a spec series like INDY found its way into a road car? .... My point. So you're okay with dumbing down the sport so the trash teams like Williams and Haas can be competitive?

Sorry, but I'll take DAS, carbon fiber monocoque, stability control, KERS, 50% thermal efficiency in engines, active aero, active suspension... I can go on and on. Yeah, sorry, not sorry, I'll take an F1 sport that lets the best teams develop more tech (eventually for me) and kick everyone else's ass.
Tell us what you really think Curtis. LOL!

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA

I haven't really noticed that with the stewards and Hamilton, though they have been pretty inconsistent in recent times. I wouldn't want to be in their shoes.

Let's hope with the new budget cap that maybe they'll ease up on the rules a bit eventually to open up innovation a little more. One thing that could be an issue now though, is that if a team gets the set up right and is way ahead from the start, the budget limitation will likely prevent the other teams from catching up throughout the season. I still don't know how their going to police that effectively.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
It’s OK to have a super team in a sport............until you only have one.

It takes a true fan to watch when the outcome is already known. Most people will not.

NASCAR and F1 both have to level the field or face the reality of a diminished base. Right now only two teams are competitive in NASCAR. On these two teams, only one driver. That has to change. In F1 it’s Mercedes and the other guys. This is not sustainable.

EIGHTLUG

https://www.archetyperacing.com
Supporting Vendor
It’s OK to have a super team in a sport............until you only have one.

It takes a true fan to watch when the outcome is already known. Most people will not.

NASCAR and F1 both have to level the field or face the reality of a diminished base. Right now only two teams are competitive in NASCAR. On these two teams, only one driver. That has to change. In F1 it’s Mercedes and the other guys. This is not sustainable.
Who was competitive before Merc? MERC/AMG definitely didn't field the fastest car in the V8 era. Same driver(s) though, in Rosberg and Hamilton. Was there this much angst when Schumacher was racking up the wins and championships with Ferrari? When Vettel was dominant with Red Bull? So now you have a TEAM that's managing to stay one step ahead of the others (for this long), while still losing engineers to other teams, and they still manage to field cars with a balanced- chassis, PU, aero, and driver.

.... and for that people it's best for the sport to 'level the playing field.'???

Ferrari was close several times, in the V6TH era. They had a well sorted car. Team members crashing into each other, tire failures, engine failures, oiling scandal.. all of that stuff culminated in good old Maurizio Arrivabene losing his job as Team Principal. Ferrari hasn't been the same since.

Toto runs a much tighter ship. Like, I would love to work for a guy like that. He is the epitome of "Hate to lose, more than you love to win" and its apparent in the trophy case.

Prior to even the V6TH era, F1 viewership was on a decline. That's not due to a dominant team and people not enjoying watching Red Bull win. In my opinion, the sport isn't what it was, 15-20 years ago. What's changed, you ask? Safety. The chance of a spectacular crash and possible death doesn't really exist, like it did in the 90's and earlier. That part of the spectacle is near gone. It's in our nature. We want to see a train wreck. A broke car on the side of the road doesn't slow traffic as much as two cars that collided. That's just the truth. The masses want to see carnage. Then there are those that actually want to watch racing.

The FIA has been scrambling, since then, on manufacturing better racing. DRS, stickier tires, wider tires, more aero, revised qualifying, and at it's onset, a perceived 'slower car' with a V6 turbo hybrid. Well, jokes on them. Merc figured out the V6TH PU right out of the gate and began destroying everyone. Not just the power of the V6TH, but also the reliability. Then they began creating better aero and now an even better chassis. I mean, they were matching Red Bull's lap times on hard tires, in basically Limp Mode and driving the slow line.

If I was an owner of one of the losing teams on the paddock, and I was standing there watching my car get dominated by a car in Limp Mode, I would fire my staff and quit F1. I obviously am not ready to run with the big boys.

TMO Supporting Vendors