The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

First Full Test by Motortend 0-60=4.0! 12.3@115!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean#4AI said:
Here's something really cool from the 2nd page video. ;D
new-boss-tests-reviews-post-em-here-boss-lap-times.jpg
I nearly wet myself when I saw that Dean. An R8 killer for 1/4 the price???? I ran up against an R8 at BIR last year and had no shot on the short course in my GT500. Only on the long course did I give him a run for his money and actually ended up running a faster lap time only because I think 160+ heading into turn 1 scared him off. To have a Mustang that will beat an R8 on a short tight track?????? OMG ship my car!!!! ;D

Wow those are great numbers. I'm a big Porsche fan and would love a Porsche 911 Carrera GT3. I've mentioned before that I think of my Boss as a poor mans GT3 and the LS as a GT3 RS. ;D A couple of friends of mine have a 2005 Carrera 4S and 2008 Carrera S so it's important for me to at least be able to keep up. I don't think it's going to be a problem. ;) Here are the numbers from the 2011 Porsche Carrera GTS:

Price as tested $115,200
Vehicle layout Rear-engine, RWD, 2-pass, 2-door coupe
Engine 3.8L/408-hp /310-lb-ft DOHC 24-valve flat-6
Transmission 7-speed twin-clutch auto.
Curb weight (f/r dist) 3272 lb (38 / 62%)
0-60 mph 3.9 sec
Quarter mile 12.2 sec @ 113.4 mph
Braking, 60-0 mph 105 ft
Lateral acceleration 1.00 g (avg)
MT Figure Eight 24.3 sec @ 0.76 g (avg)
EPA city/hwy fuel econ 19/26 mpg

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz1FwfzQu78

5 DOT 0 said:
Wow those are great numbers. I'm a big Porsche fan and would love a Porsche 911 Carrera GT3. I've mentioned before that I think of my Boss as a poor mans GT3 and the LS as a GT3 RS. ;D A couple of friends of mine have a 2005 Carrera 4S and 2008 Carrera S so it's important for me to at least be able to keep up. I don't think it's going to be a problem. ;) Here are the numbers from the 2011 Porsche Carrera GTS:

Price as tested $115,200
Vehicle layout Rear-engine, RWD, 2-pass, 2-door coupe
Engine 3.8L/408-hp /310-lb-ft DOHC 24-valve flat-6
Transmission 7-speed twin-clutch auto.
Curb weight (f/r dist) 3272 lb (38 / 62%)
0-60 mph 3.9 sec
Quarter mile 12.2 sec @ 113.4 mph
Braking, 60-0 mph 105 ft
Lateral acceleration 1.00 g (avg)
MT Figure Eight 24.3 sec @ 0.76 g (avg)
EPA city/hwy fuel econ 19/26 mpg
Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz1FwfzQu78
The event I referenced with the R8 was actually a Porsche club event. I can't wait to show them my NEW Mustang ;D

cloud9 said:
The event I referenced with the R8 was actually a Porsche club event. I can't wait to show them my NEW Mustang ;D
Cool. I'm still buzzing after reading that review. Just a few years ago a 4.0 0-60 number was reserved for some very expensive exotic sports cars. Throw out the AWD mulit clutch/multi gear techno wonders and this car is right up there with the very best. I sure hope Ford catches up on production so my Q2 car is not delayed.

5 DOT 0 said:
cloud9 said:
Cool. I'm still buzzing after reading that review. Just a few years ago a 4.0 0-60 number was reserved for some very expensive exotic sports cars. Throw out the AWD mulit clutch/multi gear techno wonders and this car is right up there with the very best. I sure hope Ford catches up on production so my Q2 car is not delayed.
When do they start assigning VINs for 2nd quarter builds? It doesn't seem like things have been delayed excessively at this point. My guess is there will be OT and extra shifts to catch up. I think overall Mustang sales were down the first part of this year which just opens up room for Bosses that will all be sold (either to dealers or customers)

5 dot,

I love gt3's, but the better track car, driven by mortals, is really a cayman / boxster. the ONLY reason catmans and boxster come with less power than any 911 is that, with equal power, the kick ass on 911's. they're are way easier to drive at the limit by average drivers.

and even if you compare to the 'better' track car (the cayman / boxster), the boss is a serious contender.
1:40 as laguna seca is flying. I see gt3's (even gt3 cup cars), c6 z06's, and exige s's struggling to get into the low 1:40's wirth good (not great) drivers.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Congrats to Ford Motor Company and all BOSS 302 buyers! This car is a fufillment of Ford's promise to create a world class performer that honors the 100+ years of Ford racing history, and a company icon. I have owned Fords and Mustangs my whole driving career (1983) starting with a 1973 Mustang Coupe right up to my 2011 Mustang GT and can honestly say the latest S197 cars are world class. I have owned in the past 7 years a 2004 M3, 2007 335i Coupe and a 2008 VW R32, a test drive of the new 5.0 GT showed that Ford understands controlled handling, interior quality,leading edge technology and of course POWER! These attributes are what got me back into the Blue Oval fold. The BOSS cars are icing on the cake and hopefully will help propel Ford back to a position as a leader in design and quality worldwide.

here is the video for those that haven't seen it...can't believe I missed it the first time I read the article.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxEhnugwzCc&feature=channel_video_title[/youtube]

5 DOT 0 said:
That's my favorite video of the Boss doing laps at LS.
Mine too. That guy can drive! You can definitely see why his lap times were the lowest of the reviewers based on the other videos I watched. Some of them looked like they were out for a Sunday drive and afraid of the rumble strips.

5 DOT 0 said:
That guy was very smooth. Bob Bondurant says "smooth is fast and fast is smooth". I was just looking at my copy of High Performance Driving by BB and there's an old fox body mustang on the cover. 8)
Yes he was. That's what I'm really anxious to experience with the Boss. I've driven Vettes on track and they are just point and go. The GT500 on track is like wrestling a bear.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
I need to get out there and practice when I get my Boss so I can have a good resume for my job after the navy as a driver/tester for the magazines ;) Rumble strips don't scare me!

TMO Supporting Vendors