The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

First gear ......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fomoco302

Life is short. Live well!
Bear with me folks I am not naturally mechanically inclined and I marvel at the work some of y'all do to your cars. Question - first gear is so short when moving from rest I tend to use second gear. I do not slip the clutch excessively and I always try to roll up to lights and time it so I don't make a complete stop and pull away in second. Am I hurting the clutch long term ? Your advice is most appreciated.

98% of the time I start with 2nd gear as well, but this is my first manual transmission car. so, dont take my word for it lol.
I've had the car for a year, and haven't had any clutch issues... and I learned how to drive stick on this car.

I grew up with manuals. This baby is geared so tight, the only time you'll need first gear is if you're racing. Gear has nothing to do with clutch etc. I use second gear from starts all the time. It's less "bucky".

No problem at all starting off in second gear. I do it all the time on the street for the same reasons. By comparison, the MT82 2nd gear ratio is 2.43; the old close ratio toploader tranny had a 2.32 first gear.

Sammykjr1 said:
I grew up with manuals. This baby is geared so tight, the only time you'll need first gear is if you're racing. Gear has nothing to do with clutch etc. I use second gear from starts all the time. It's less "bucky".

Are the tracks you go to that tight? Every track I have been to out west you hardly ever go down to 2nd let alone ever going to 1st.

OP- If anything I skip 2nd, but I always start in 1st. Plus we have speed bumps in parking lots here in CA so with as low as my car is there is no way I could go over them in 2nd. My car is too low for my liking with 18s and H&R Race springs. Clearly there is more slip and more wear starting off from 2nd but I'm not sure if it's enough to really make a difference long term or not. Overall # of starts is probably the greater driver of long term wear.

dabossinne said:
No problem at all starting off in second gear. I do it all the time on the street for the same reasons. By comparison, the MT82 2nd gear ratio is 2.43; the old close ratio toploader tranny had a 2.32 first gear.

+1, I've been doing this for 30plus years, never an issue.

Fomoco302 said:
I do not slip the clutch excessively and I always try to roll up to lights and time it so I don't make a complete stop and pull away in second. Am I hurting the clutch long term ?

Just don't do it in front of five-oh...

Don't ask how I know..

EDIT - Removed NSFW comment

Fat Boss said:
Are the tracks you go to that tight? Every track I have been to out west you hardly ever go down to 2nd let alone ever going to 1st.

OP- If anything I skip 2nd, but I always start in 1st. Plus we have speed bumps in parking lots here in CA so with as low as my car is there is no way I could go over them in 2nd. My car is too low for my liking with 18s and H&R Race springs. Clearly there is more slip and more wear starting off from 2nd but I'm not sure if it's enough to really make a difference long term or not. Overall # of starts is probably the greater driver of long term wear.

If you're on a dragstrip. I go over speed bumps in second. It's just so easy to finesse the clutch/gas that I only use first gear while warming the car up.

Sammykjr1 said:
If you're on a dragstrip. I go over speed bumps in second. It's just so easy to finesse the clutch/gas that I only use first gear while warming the car up.

Ahhh ok, forgot about drag strips. I do very much the same thing with my crew cab 4x4 diesel six speed manual. It has a granny L which I'll use from time to time especially in stop and go traffic, 1st which I usually go to when starting, and 2nd which if I'm moving at any speed at all I can easily pull away in. Lately I've been "skip shifting" and going 1-3-5 or 2-4 or 5 and believe it or not it's had a significant impact on mileage. LOL I get better avg MPG in my 6800 lb truck than my Boss. ::)

TMO Supporting Vendors