The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

First maintenance trip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey all, so I bought my Boss used with 23k on the clock. I'm getting close to my first oil change and wanted to ask you guys for advice. I know we need 8.5 quarts of oil and I inquired with the dealership and they said I could bring my own.

I plan on buying Mobil 1 5W-50 Oil (9 quarts). What about other filters/fluids to buy that factory wouldn't normally change at 25k? I have read topics about better brake fluid, tranny fluid, etc.

Give me the full rundown (best case scenario) and I will see what the old pocket book can actually afford. Looking to enhance the car's performance with this dealership visit and hope treat her right.

Thanks guys! This forum is a gift from God!

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I run Mobil or castrol with a k&n oil filter hp-2010

You can get the fuel filter changed as a precaution.

Brake fluid should be tested/replaced

I added vr12 to my radiator fluid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the bare minimum I would do the engine oil, oil filter and hydraulic fluid (preferably DOT 4)

Optional, but recommended would be transmission, rear axle, coolant, air filter and cabin filter

Since your going to the dealership, I would just use the Motorcraft 5W-50 X0-5W50-QGT

The Motorcraft FL-500S oil filter is fine or if you want something better consider the Ford Racing CM-6731-FL820 filter

Transmission fluid options from the dealer are Motorcraft XT-M5-QS (original spec) or XT-11-QDC (updated spec) and also the XL-18 transmission additive

Brake/clutch fluid options from the dealer are Motorcraft DOT 3 PM-1-C (original spec) or DOT 4 YS4Z-19542-AA (recommended in the Boss manual)

Rear axle fluid is Motorcraft 75W140 Synthetic XY-75140-QL and friction modifier XL-3 (supposedly optional with the Torsen diff, but I use it anyway)

Coolant is Motorcraft Orange VC-3-B or VC-3DIL-B (50/50 premix)

Other than the oil filter (I use the Ford Racing) and the hydraulic fluid (I use Castrol SRF) I use the recommended Motorcraft products

Are there other options? Of course

For example, some would argue that Motorcraft 5W-50 shears quickly

However, few oils actually meet Ford WSS-M2C931 spec so if warranty concerns are something to consider then keep that in mind

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
OKCBossman said:
Hey all, so I bought my Boss used with 23k on the clock. I'm getting close to my first oil change and wanted to ask you guys for advice. I know we need 8.5 quarts of oil and I inquired with the dealership and they said I could bring my own.

I plan on buying Mobil 1 5W-50 Oil (9 quarts). What about other filters/fluids to buy that factory wouldn't normally change at 25k? I have read topics about better brake fluid, tranny fluid, etc.

Give me the full rundown (best case scenario) and I will see what the old pocket book can actually afford. Looking to enhance the car's performance with this dealership visit and hope treat her right.
Thanks guys! This forum is a gift from God!

Are you tracking the car? If so, upgrade everything.

If not, oil and filter are a must and check everything else.

Dot 4 is a good upgrade If you are pushing the car. If not, it will add to maintenance (have to change more often) because it requires replacement more often.

Trans should have the upgraded Ford fluids already. If not swap it out. Ask your dealer if a TSB for trans fluid applied to your car and if so, was it performed.

Enjoy your ride, we all do ;D

Seriously, is there a fuel filter on our car and if so where is it?

NFSBOSS said:
Seriously, is there a fuel filter on our car and if so where is it?

Was about to ask the same. As far as I know we have a "lifetime" filter in the tank on the fuel pump. Kinda like a lil sock net thingy.....
But not an external filter like the older cars.

TMO Supporting Vendors