The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

First Oil Analysis Report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just did the first oil change on my GT/TP. Changed it at 5100 miles even though the oil meter was still at 50%-ish. In addition to the miles, the car has 2 days on track.

Scan_Pic0008_zps31eaf61f.jpg

$25. They'll send you the specimen container and mailing stuff. You fill it, stick a couple bucks of postage on it and a week later you have this in your email box. I'll be doing all my driveline lubes.

Those numbers look better than my 2012 Boss on its second oil change at 5300miles and only 2800 miles on the oil with one track day.

Copper 12
Lead 31
Tin 9

Blackstone stated the lead and tin were high and indicated bearing wear, but not high enough to recommend an engine teardown. They did however suggest I keep an eye on oil pressure. I traded the 12 of a 13 Boss six months later. I told myself this wasn't the reason, but I still don't have a good reason why I traded it. So...maybe it was. Now I just drive the dang thing and don't worry about oil analysis, if it blows up that's Ford's problem at least until 2018.

It's look like they check everything but the vitamin levels. :) I have a container in my garage, I keep forgetting it, I remember a day or two later. Maybe I should put it in my glovebox. Good to see the price hasn't gone up in two years.

For those who haven't done it before, the narrative you get is for dummies. They'll actually tell you if you should change your change interval, formulations, etc.

Might be good documentation in case there's a warranty issue.

ArizonaBOSS said:
What do these guys charge for this service?

They offer volume discount ($20 each for paying for 6 samples up front).

Here's the history on my engine oil:

IMG_0002_NEW_zpsd301f543.jpg

And this is for the Diff:

IMG_0001_NEW_zpsa8c642ba.jpg

Hand written numbers are track hours on oil. I've moved to 4 hour fluid changes based on the 302S recommendation, unless it's wet or cold.

You can see the metals started high and dropped.

Tulsa, OK
cosm3os said:
$25. They'll send you the specimen container and mailing stuff. You fill it, stick a couple bucks of postage on it and a week later you have this in your email box. I'll be doing all my driveline lubes.

Sounds like you're taking a urinalysis or something.. :) haha

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
I also got my first oil analysis back today on my 2014 GT TP.

I put in Mobil 1 5w50 when the car had a total of ~450 miles (replaced factory oil)

I put on about 4500 street miles and 300 track miles before changing again, bringing total mileage to ~5200 when I got the oil changed.

il-analysis-results-oil-analysis-14-mustang-121313.jpg

Black Boss said:
I've moved to 4 hour fluid changes based on the 302S recommendation, unless it's wet or cold.

Since, my car has just been used on the track for the last 8 months I have change the oil out every 4 hours of track time too. The oil always looks good. However, since the car is just seeing track time now it is best to change the oil as a preventative measure, jmo.

Budget Boss said:
Since, my car has just been used on the track for the last 8 months I have change the oil out every 4 hours of track time too. The oil always looks good. However, since the car is just seeing track time now it is best to change the oil as a preventative measure, jmo.
I would check and see about getting a UOA before chucking the oil. I spoke to a guy who runs a race shop/team at the DC auto show and he said he was doing something similar until he got a UOA and found out he was wasting money changing oil soon.

Korbin_Dallas said:
Do they compare the oil when it's new to the current sample?

They have data on all the lubricants on the market to compare. You tell them on the form exactly what you put in it, hours/miles, amount added, etc.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Thanks, Black Boss! The wear numbers looked good to me and I didn't see the brand of oil listed on the report. Have you been increasing your change interval based on the report recommendation?

TMO Supporting Vendors