The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

First oil change is a doozy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If you are seriously wanting to know about your oil (or other fluids) look up Blackstone Labs, they do analysis for a resonable price.

I've used them a few times for my GT500, very thorough.

TMSBOSS said:
I bit less messy if you use one of these.

PIG® Form-A-Funnel® Flexible Draining Tool - 6.5" x 14.5"

Flexible funnel which can be formed to fit around the filter and allow you access to the filter.

Always hated oil run off from filters winding up running somewhere else on the car, depending on where the filter is some cars/trucks are worse than others. One thing I started doing years ago was get some disposable diapers and place them under the filter. No more chasing running oil drips from suspension,chassis. ::)

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
mattlqx said:
FWIW, I tried to cut the filter open today. I got some of the metal off enough to poke around at the medium. I didn't see much in the ribbing except for an occasional metal piece. Certainly nothing like what had settled in the oil pan, so I'd take that as good news.

A question, Did you happen to run a magnet thru the debris? If so was any of it ferrous metal? Also FWIW, the oil flow path thru the filter is from the center to the outside of the filter medium.

On a separate note, I happened to save my first oil filter and it looks different from the replacement filters that I purchase at my Ford Dealer. It is painted all white with a 1.5" X 1.25" clear sticker on the side of it that has "FoMoCo" printed in a black box, and the bottom of the filter is date coded in yellow print.

So I was surprised to see your original filter looks like a Retail replacement filter, like one would purchase over the counter at your local Ford Dealer.

Anyone have any thoughts as to why Ford made this change?

302 Hi Pro

mattlqx

Mustangless
302 Hi Pro said:
A question, Did you happen to run a magnet thru the debris? If so was any of it ferrous metal? Also FWIW, the oil flow path thru the filter is from the center to the outside of the filter medium.

On a separate note, I happened to save my first oil filter and it looks different from the replacement filters that I purchase at my Ford Dealer. It is painted all white with a 1.5" X 1.25" clear sticker on the side of it that has "FoMoCo" printed in a black box, and the bottom of the filter is date coded in yellow print.

So I was surprised to see your original filter looks like a Retail replacement filter, like one would purchase over the counter at your local Ford Dealer.

Anyone have any thoughts as to why Ford made this change?

302 Hi Pro

Ah, thanks. Didn't take the flow direction into account. And no, didn't magnet the crud.

I'm sure it was just a parts supply issue. Most of my other Fords have come with that basic white filter, but maybe they ran out and just simplified with the one part. Who knows. I'm sure it's an identical filter aside from the markings.

To save on dripping oil on wires and such, can you drive a hole in the filter bottom and drain off a bit before removing next time?
I tried this when changing my oil...some drains out but the anti drain back valve keeps oil above the filter and thats what comes out when you break the filter gasket seal. This was my experience anyway. I was lucky in that I used a lot of rags stuffed in all around the filter so kept the belly pan clean. All in all its a movie doing the oil change. :(

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Silly thought here but you think any of that junk in there could be paint from the filter that mixed with the oil in your attempt to remove it?

mattlqx

Mustangless
Nope, not really anyway. Most of the paint came off of the filter before any oil was let out and the quantity and type of the debris in the pan were pretty different.

Regardless, this was from the last car. My current GT350 had some amount of debris in the initial oil change, but was definitely less. Second oil change was near totally clean.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel