The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

First Oil Change - Oil and Filter?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is Amazon at $52.83 for 6 qts. of Mobil 1 5W-50 with free shipping and $12 rebate the best deal going? This nets out to just slightly under $7 per quart.

http://www.amazon.com/Mobil-106035-CASE-5W-50-Rally-Formula/dp/B009IE2K34

Also, what's the correct Ford filter number for the standard 2013 Boss 302 and what's the best source. Tousley?

Edit: Also, what size form-a-funnel is best?

Thanks in advance.

Napa recently had their Mobil1 sale. so, if you have a napa in your town, keep an eye out. usually they list Mobil1's little below $6 a qrt.
Advance auto usually has good Mobil1 sales as well, but i haven't had any luck ordering 5w50 from them.

As for the filters, I usually grab motorcraft 500S filters from advance auto, can't remember price tho.

GottaBoss said:
Also, what's the correct Ford filter number for the standard 2013 Boss 302 and what's the best source. Tousley?

Watch for sale on Mobil at NAPA every few month for the 5-50, other then that check local dealer and ask what is the best price on the Motorcraft, sometimes they give good deals.

As far as a filter there are two that are correct, I would use only one or the other. Ford is calling for the FL500S in the owners manual and that is fine for normal driving. Getting it from Tousley would be more expensive than your local parts store with shipping. The other correct filter is the Ford Racing version of the 820S, that is what Ford Racing is saying to use on the oil coolier that they sell as a FR part and is standard on the factory Boss.

YellowBoss said:
Watch for sale on Mobil at NAPA every few month for the 5-50, other then that check local dealer and ask what is the best price on the Motorcraft, sometimes they give good deals.

As far as a filter there are two that are correct, I would use only one or the other. Ford is calling for the FL500S in the owners manual and that is fine for normal driving. Getting it from Tousley would be more expensive than your local parts store with shipping. The other correct filter is the Ford Racing version of the 820S, that is what Ford Racing is saying to use on the oil coolier that they sell as a FR part and is standard on the factory Boss.

Do you know the part number for the filter that comes on the base Boss? Best place to buy?

GottaBoss said:
Do you know the part number for the filter that comes on the base Boss? Best place to buy?

I think the FL500S is AA5Z-6714-A but just go into any Auto Zone or Advanced and they will have it. The Ford Racing version of the 820S is M-6731-FL820

YellowBoss said:
I think the FL500S is AA5Z-6714-A but just go into any Auto Zone or Advanced and they will have it. The Ford Racing version of the 820S is M-6731-FL820

Thanks. Is the M-6731-FL820 the filter that comes stock on the base Boss 302?

GottaBoss said:
Thanks. Is the M-6731-FL820 the filter that comes stock on the base Boss 302?

No the filter that comes on the car from the factory is something different from both of the filters I mentioned. My guess it is a modified 500S, they do this for ease of assembly at the factory. Like I said either of the two filters is correct. If you are street driving the FL500S is fine and that is what Ford is saying to replace on your car with an oil change. If you drive in more extreme conditions I would think about using the FR M-6731-FL820.

YellowBoss said:
No the filter that comes on the car from the factory is something different from both of the filters I mentioned. My guess it is a modified 500S, they do this for ease of assembly at the factory. Like I said either of the two filters is correct. If you are street driving the FL500S is fine and that is what Ford is saying to replace on your car with an oil change. If you drive in more extreme conditions I would think about using the FR M-6731-FL820.

Thanks for the clarification. Now that you mention it I do recall seeing a discussion about the filter on the car from the factory being a hybrid of some sort.

YellowBoss said:

I'm going to try the regular FL820S.. Same footprint as the 500S and a larger filter that cost less than a 500S. It would be interesting to compare the FR version to the regular FL820S.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
The FRPP FL 820 has a thicker canister and base plate, better quality silicone gasket and internal drain back diaphragm and more filter medium than the regular FL 820S.
It's a good high rpm/high pressure race filter. Not needed if you are doing street only, probably not needed for track day but cheap insurance against a blown gasket or burst canister on track which with an oil down on your rear tires is guaranteed to ruin your day.
Steve

What do you think of this oil filter instead of the one from Ford? AMSoil Ea Oil Filter - FL820s http://www.americanmuscle.com/amsoil-oil-filter-fl820s.html

batman48195

I never get tired of driving it!
Does anyone know how the Boss calculates oil life? I am going to do my first change at 3200 miles and when I looked at oil life it said 8%. Just curious if it has a sensor or does it look at oil darkness.

Thanks
Brian

batman48195 said:
Does anyone know how the Boss calculates oil life? I am going to do my first change at 3200 miles and when I looked at oil life it said 8%. Just curious if it has a sensor or does it look at oil darkness.

Thanks
Brian

Straight from the horse's mouth...

https://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?cid=1251733926439&pagename=Owner%2FPage%2FArticleDetail&recid=1251387049862&parentheadlineimageid=1234280151966&parentrightrecid=1239636411265

YellowBoss said:

I checked with Tousley and they don't show that the FR M-6731-FL820 fits the Boss. Why do you suppose that is?

Use the correct one for the car. Don't "try" another one. If you have an engine failure and have the wrong oil filter on the car, good luck getting Ford to pay the bill. I know it wouldn't get paid at the dealership I work at and why should it if your using the wrong filter?

SilverBolt said:
Use the correct one for the car. Don't "try" another one. If you have an engine failure and have the wrong oil filter on the car, good luck getting Ford to pay the bill. I know it wouldn't get paid at the dealership I work at and why should it if your using the wrong filter?

The last thing I want to do is use the wrong filter and that's why I'm doing the research and asking questions. For warranty purposes would Ford not accept a Ford Racing Parts filter that is apparently a better filter? This is a serious question - I don't want to compromise my warranty. That's why I've decided to go with Motorcraft 5w-50 full syn instead of Mobil 1 which is less expensive and easier to find.

I went to the Ford Racing Parts site at the link below. It confirms that the FR M-6731-FL820 fits the Boss (with oil cooler).

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=7703

Following are the Tech Notes:

Fits 4.6L 3V and new 5.0L 4V TiVCT
Fits 2012-2013 Mustang Boss 302 with factory installed oil cooler
Sold as case of 12
Synthetic-Polymer/Cellulose-Fiber blend media
Heavy gage base and canister for higher burst strength and impulse fatigue resistance
High quality silicone anti-drain back valve
Non-stick sealing gasket for ease of installation and removal
Long life with standard and synthetic motor oils
Up to 50% more filtering capacity than standard filters
Improved filtering efficiency
This technology is only available through Ford Racing Performance Parts.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
SilverBolt said:
this would be of coarse if you prove that the oil filter was the cause of the engine failure.
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/keeping-your-mods-warranty-intact.html
Further, under the act, aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not automatically void a vehicle manufacturer's original warranty, unless the warranty clearly states the addition of aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle's warranty, or if it can be proven that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure
No warrantor may condition the continued validity of a warranty on the use of only authorized repair service and/or authorized replacement parts for non-warranty service and maintenance. For example, provisions such as, "This warranty is void if service is performed by anyone other than an authorized 'ABC' dealer and all replacement parts must be genuine 'ABC' parts," and the like, are prohibited where the service or parts are not covered by the warranty. These provisions violate the Act in two ways. First, they violate the section 102(c) ban against tying arrangements. Second, such provisions are deceptive under section 110 of the Act, because a warrantor cannot, as a matter of law, avoid liability under a written warranty where a defect is unrelated to the use by a consumer of "unauthorized" articles or service. This does not preclude a warrantor from expressly excluding liability for defects or damage caused by such "unauthorized" articles or service; nor does it preclude the warrantor from denying liability where the warrantor can demonstrate that the defect or damage was so caused.

Under the Magnuson-Moss Act, a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage. If the dealer cannot prove such a claim — or it proffers a questionable explanation — it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty. The Federal Trade Commission administers the Magnuson-Moss Act and monitors compliance with warranty law.

That being said, if you choose to modify your car, and suddenly the fancy new electronic control boxes that you added to your car make it run rough, not start when cold, or buck like a bronco, the dealer can and will charge a diagnostic fee to find out what is wrong with your car. If it turns out that your modifications are the cause of the problem, the dealer has every right not only to charge you for the diagnosis and repair, but to also void the portion of the warranty that has been compromised by the use of those aftermarket parts. Likewise, a dealer may refuse to service your car if it is adorned with aftermarket parts to the extent that its technicians cannot reasonably be expected to diagnose what is wrong with your car. As an example, all cars manufactured after 1994 are equipped with OBDII (On Board Diagnostics II) ports that dealers use to read engine diagnostic codes for everything from an engine vacuum leak to a malfunctioning emissions system. If your chosen modification has compromised the dealer service center's ability to scan for these codes (aftermarket ECUs generally do not support OBDII), then there is a strong probability that the dealer service center will

Deny warranty coverage

Refuse to service the car

Note with your factory field representative for your region/district that your car has been "modified"

Your car's manufacturer notes are your car's "permanent record." Above all else, avoid compromising these notes. This is nearly always connected with your vehicles' VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) and will

Ensure that your car will not have its warranty honored at any dealer service center in your area.

Dramatically reduce the resale and/or trade-in value of your car.

SilverBolt said:

Thanks GottaBoss for the reply. Ford Racing says it is the correct filter and fits the Boss 302 engine. I was also told by people working for FR that it is correct and that a FR 500S will not be made. If I was not using the racing filter I would use a standard Motorcraft FL500S and nothing else but that is just me.

TMO Supporting Vendors