The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

First oil change today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLAZN BOSS

Went to my dealer today for oil change no.1. Oil life of 8%, 6700 miles, so 8-1/2 qts of motorcraft and a new filter I'm good for another year (Aug 2nd is it's birthday). Stood there conversing while he changed it and the oil came out the pan nice and clear, checked it before I left home, still on the full mark, what a shame to throw it away. While I was under the car I asked him to remove the plates for the side exhaust......it's cool in a teenager sort of way but I don't like the "all the time" noise. I think I'll put them back, maybe make the hole 2X the size...maybe. Also, remembered reading here something about the heat deteriorating the tires???? Dunno, but the best part of the day was the oil change was free...........underneath of the car spotless, no sweats, no problems seen. Clean bill of health 1 year later is cool!

Blazn do you have the stock size exhaust plates? The 3/4" are very popular and give a nice sound without being too loud.

BTW I have the same mileage as you and just had my third oil change but I have some track days in there. My Boss had it's birthday last Sunday and I took it out for cake and ice cream. Well my kids had ice cream anyway. :D

BLAZN BOSS

wow.um............my first two changes are free from dealer also.........guess thats for paying MSRP

yep stock plates.............not sure if I'll drill em out or not. Cake and Ice cream.LOL.......good idea!!!

No I feel blessed, no problems with transmission, motor or rearend............no trips back to the dealer at all!

BLAZN BOSS said:
Went to my dealer today for oil change no.1. Oil life of 8%, 6700 miles, so 8-1/2 qts of motorcraft and a new filter I'm good for another year (Aug 2nd is it's birthday). Stood there conversing while he changed it and the oil came out the pan nice and clear, checked it before I left home, still on the full mark, what a shame to throw it away. While I was under the car I asked him to remove the plates for the side exhaust......it's cool in a teenager sort of way but I don't like the "all the time" noise. I think I'll put them back, maybe make the hole 2X the size...maybe. Also, remembered reading here something about the heat deteriorating the tires???? Dunno, but the best part of the day was the oil change was free...........underneath of the car spotless, no sweats, no problems seen. Clean bill of health 1 year later is cool!

I too was confused by this at first. They're the plastic tab/little flap RIGHT behind the side pipes and in front of the rear wheel wells. I muscled them out but I think there's a way to elegantly unclip them. Maybe somebody else can chime in?

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
fduboss302 said:
BLAZN BOSS said:

I too was confused by this at first. They're the plastic tab/little flap RIGHT behind the side pipes and in front of the rear wheel wells. I muscled them out but I think there's a way to elegantly unclip them. Maybe somebody else can chime in?
mine have been off for over 5000 miles and the tires have yet to melt. they are just some aero crap to gain .02mpg on the highway. Some have experienced that when you take out the side pipe restrictor plates that the air deflectors will melt. Thats why I just took them off. Plus they collect rocks and dirt.

BLAZN BOSS

I cant find the thread..........but I believe someone had a problem with the rear tires coming apart in chunks in the middle of the tread. hate when i read something and can't find it. LOL

On the tires, I'll say this - the first time I tracked the car, I did it on the stock Pirelli's, and while they didn't chunk or separate or anything, those tires were never the same again after that weekend. This was Road America, getting up to 150+ mph every lap. They did OK on the track, but in the days afterwards, they kind of "hardened". Soon, I felt like I was driving around on hockey pucks. And on a cooled/wet surface? Downright dangerous. I replaced them quickly with Bridgestone RE-11's and never looked back - they have withstood multiple track weekends with fantastic grip (well, for a street tire anyway) and are wearing as well as can be expected with the abuse they suffer ;D

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
BLAZN BOSS said:
I cant find the thread..........but I believe someone had a problem with the rear tires coming apart in chunks in the middle of the tread. hate when i read something and can't find it. LOL

That was me, running the stock Pirelli PZero Corsa's. Big chunks cam eoff of my left front (most abused) tire. Those tires may be OK for street use but they do not belong on a track. My Nitto's not only have much superior grip but they last much longer and wear well, right down to the cords.

BLAZN BOSS

Ok great, lots of you guys track and have the pipes open........no heat destruction from the exhaust...........and Pete it was your front tire not the rear, ok again. Maybe I'll drive it with the exhaust like this a while.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I have had the exhaust side pipes full open since I purchase the car and had no issues with the rear tires, Pirelli or Nittos

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I know the thread he was talking about and someone said that the middle of there rear tire or somebodys tire came apart and they thought it was from the side exhaust. I highly doubt that the tires get hotter from the road then the exhaust would ever be come out the side pipes.

BLAZN BOSS said:
While I was under the car I asked him to remove the plates for the side exhaust......it's cool in a teenager sort of way but I don't like the "all the time" noise. I think I'll put them back, maybe make the hole 2X the size...maybe.

While many like the wide open sound it's not for everyone. From what you have posted I would not drill bigger then 1/2 inch. There is a big difference between the factory opening and 1/2 even if the size does not sound like much.

BLAZN BOSS

I would like to hear a difference, just not with the windows up, ac on and radio playing LOL.

BLAZN BOSS

Just a few years ago I owned a 68 coupe, 289 with extensive head work, custom grind cam, 250 cheater NOS, c-4 trans with 4500 stahl converter and trans brake 4:56 gears 3-1/2 inch exhaust all the way to the back. I dont need that kinda ride anymore . LOL

TMO Supporting Vendors