The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

First real drive with track key....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloud9 said:
Correct on the 2013 Boss, and I'm not sure about the GT500, but that is why we have skip shift in the 2012. It's purely an MPG gimmick. That said, fuel mileage with TK averages about 2-3 mpg less with or without skip shift.
It might be worse than that. I used to go to about 150 miles before the idiot light would illuminate but now it's 120-130. Or mayabe I'm just having more fun. :D

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Warning - DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME

My son (20 yrs old, drives in DE events with me) drove the Boss for the first time in a 'spirited' fashion today since I first picked it up and it was still in transport mode. Needless to say now he doesn't want an EVO any more. I think I just made a tactical error... ;D

PS: Rick, my idiot light comes on every time I drive the car. Is it trying to tell me something?

PeteInCT said:
Warning - DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME

My son (20 yrs old, drives in DE events with me) drove the Boss for the first time in a 'spirited' fashion today since I first picked it up and it was still in transport mode. Needless to say now he doesn't want an EVO any more. I think I just made a tactical error... ;D

PS: Rick, my idiot light comes on every time I drive the car. Is it trying to tell me something?
Better order up some more Nittos ;D

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Rich_S said:
Honestly, the track key tune (minus the lopey idle and red/silver key gimmickry) is what SHOULD have come direct from the factory on the Boss.

Adjustable launch control has become standard on performance cars these days and the slightly more aggressive throttle mapping, slightly increased low end torque, and significantly increased engine braking under decel should have been standard on a car marketed as a RCWALP. It's not like this very mild tune is going to have any warranty implications and if they got rid of the lopey idle there wouldn't have been any emissions concerns either.

Don't get me wrong, I like it, but I just think it's not a huge change over the base tune and the car should have just come with it from Ford.
I agree with you on that. I didnt think the trackey made much a difference either. Until I used it after runing the trackey a month solid. That silver key is just wrong lol. I could feel a huge difference going from the TK to the Silver key.

Justin said:
Rich_S said:
Honestly, the track key tune (minus the lopey idle and red/silver key gimmickry) is what SHOULD have come direct from the factory on the Boss.

Adjustable launch control has become standard on performance cars these days and the slightly more aggressive throttle mapping, slightly increased low end torque, and significantly increased engine braking under decel should have been standard on a car marketed as a RCWALP. It's not like this very mild tune is going to have any warranty implications and if they got rid of the lopey idle there wouldn't have been any emissions concerns either.

Don't get me wrong, I like it, but I just think it's not a huge change over the base tune and the car should have just come with it from Ford.
I agree with you on that. I didnt think the trackey made much a difference either. Until I used it after runing the trackey a month solid. That silver key is just wrong lol. I could feel a huge difference going from the TK
to the Silver key.
Haha I understand. I used the regular key to load the car on the trailer and thought I was driving my son's Focus.

can anyone advise if the track key overrides Sport Mode or do they work together when both engaged? Just drove with track key for the first time but did not think to engage Sport Mode. Initial impression was throttle response was better but not as abrupt as with black key in Sport Mode only. Lopey idle sounds way cool with 3/4" discs!! Thanks!

geneva said:
can anyone advise if the track key overrides Sport Mode or do they work together when both engaged? Just drove with track key for the first time but did not think to engage Sport Mode. Initial impression was throttle response was better but not as abrupt as with black key in Sport Mode only. Lopey idle sounds way cool with 3/4" discs!! Thanks!

Are you sure Sport Mode changes throttle response?

I'm pretty sure Sport Mode is just less aggressive traction/stability control + sport setting for steering effort, nothing more.

You can disable traction/stability control altogether by pressing and holding the traction control button for 5 seconds with your foot on the brake. You can also independently put the steering feel setting to sport by scrolling through the info/setup buttons. Both of these things work with either the silver or red key.

thanks, I'm aware of different settings and have used all but for some reason I thought sport mode also changed throttle response. Funny how perception is reality!! Cheers!!

I may be confused but where does the RPM limit go on this setup do you have to shut it off or is it done as soon as track key is used. I had mine come on when using red key but i thought it wasnt supposed to

Got my track key installed yesterday. Slight pinging at light loads but I am in Phoenix AZ area with crappy 91 octane. Going to a dyno day next Saturday and will do a silver key vs red key. I will put about 4-6 gallons 100 octane race gas in before dyno testing.

Going to work this morning using it I heard the idle real good for the 1st time but doesnt seem to stay consistant. Maybe I will remove discs this week and try again one morning. Now, for the more experienced Boss users, it did seem to spin in 2nd way more when testing a 0-60 timing. Sound correct or am I dreaming, lol????

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel