The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

First real drive with track key....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Today was my first actual real drive using my track key and all I can say is WOW! It was a crappy drive in the sense I was behind a cop the whole time on the interstate but the track key made everything else unbelievable!!!! The shifting and throttle response was unremarkable. I do admit the lopey idle at lights gets me a litttle paranoid of stalling out.

All and All I will be using the track key on all my morning commutes in the Boss from here on out

Cool. It really wakes up the car. I really like the sound of revving up the car to 4-5,000 RPM's and backing completely off the throttle. To me that's way better than the lopey idle. ;D

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I do believe you meant remarkable and not unremarkable though --- see you are so excited you can barely explain yourself. Don't worry this is quite normal after using the key, your precious, the one key that rules them all !!!

knappj69 said:
I was unaware that the track key could be used for day to day driving. I commute an hour a day so this would make my drive more enjoyable.
Yeah after today I can say that it is totally worth using the track key on even a mundane commute.

Honestly, the track key tune (minus the lopey idle and red/silver key gimmickry) is what SHOULD have come direct from the factory on the Boss.

Adjustable launch control has become standard on performance cars these days and the slightly more aggressive throttle mapping, slightly increased low end torque, and significantly increased engine braking under decel should have been standard on a car marketed as a RCWALP. It's not like this very mild tune is going to have any warranty implications and if they got rid of the lopey idle there wouldn't have been any emissions concerns either.

Don't get me wrong, I like it, but I just think it's not a huge change over the base tune and the car should have just come with it from Ford.

Rich_S said:
Honestly, the track key tune (minus the lopey idle and red/silver key gimmickry) is what SHOULD have come direct from the factory on the Boss.

Adjustable launch control has become standard on performance cars these days and the slightly more aggressive throttle mapping, slightly increased low end torque, and significantly increased engine braking under decel should have been standard on a car marketed as a RCWALP. It's not like this very mild tune is going to have any warranty implications and if they got rid of the lopey idle there wouldn't have been any emissions concerns either.

Don't get me wrong, I like it, but I just think it's not a huge change over the base tune and the car should have just come with it from Ford.
They never would have met their MPG targets to help with CAFE. That's also why you get the infamous skip shift with the regular key ;)

cloud9 said:
Rich_S said:

They never would have met their MPG targets to help with CAFE. That's also why you get the infamous skip shift with the regular key ;)

I thought I heard the 2013 Bosses do not have skip shift? Nor do the GT500s.

When the Boss is in Track Key mode skip shift is disabled. When using the silver standard key it is fully functional.

Btw I dont remember on the 13 models does the track key disable hill start assist?

Rich_S said:
cloud9 said:
Rich_S said:

Correct on the 2013 Boss, and I'm not sure about the GT500, but that is why we have skip shift in the 2012. It's purely an MPG gimmick. That said, fuel mileage with TK averages about 2-3 mpg less with or without skip shift.

I thought I heard the 2013 Bosses do not have skip shift? Nor do the GT500s.

TMO Supporting Vendors