The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

first replacement tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okay, I am just 20 miles shy of 10,000 and finaly wore out my stock Pirellis. My goal was to order some Niche Milans and put Michelin PSS on them, but finances just arent there right now.
I am keeping the stock rims for now and orderd a set of Nitto Invo's. I know they arent the best tire out there, but up here in Canada, they cost $1729.00 installed, and the PSS were WAY more. I went a different direction based on what sizes they sell. The next size up for the backs is 305 and they wont install them on a 9.5" rim.
I went 275/30/r19 in the front
and 285/35/19 in the back.
I dont and cant track the car where I live, so drags is the only off road fun I can have. I have the Torsen so didnt want D/R's and thought going up in % in the back and down in the front wouldnt effect street driving much, but help on the drag strip.
What might I have to get calibrated and what might I expect to change in driving characteristics?

I picked up some Invos for the rear aswell and my rear has felt "loose and wandering" a bit is the best way I can describe I guess. I went from 36psi to 40psi and feels a tiny bit better. Keep us posted, and let me know if you have the same issue.

Next time you are ready for a set you should try the Mickey Thompson Street Comps. They come in the OEM sizes and are targeted for the Boss, Challenger, Camaro, etc. I have heard good things about them. Right now I have BFG Sport Comp 2s in 275/40/18 and like them a lot. Great in the rain. And I mean monsoon worthy rain that I got stuck in this summer. Great for AutoX, sidewalls don't seem as stiff as the Pirellis, but grip is faaar superior.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
MT Street Comps work well on dry/wet roads. Not great on snow. (Got caught in a surprise snow storm last April on my way to Vegas for the 50th and she was slippery as hell). Excellent grip on the street and not too bad on the track for ocassional use. 255-40ZR19 and 285-35ZR19 on 19x9 and 19x10 Forgestars. Paid $1400 for the MTs installed including the TPMS . Pretty good deal.

skwerl

tree hugger
I bought Mickey Thompson Street Comps for my 643hp blown '09 Bullitt last year. They were great at first but after 3 months traction was nonexistent. I assume these are more susceptible to heat cycling than most tires (more like a drag racing slick) and driving the car every day resulted in the tires getting hard and slick before wearing out.

I ended up totaling my car in April when I lost traction punching the throttle from 45mph. The back end went sideways, I bounced over a curb and once on the grass I could only hold on as I slid into a brick wall.

As a result of my experience I will never again put Street Comps on any vehicle I own. I now have a 2014 GT/CS and when I eventually supercharge it I will find other tire options. For a street tire I've heard great things about the Continental Extreme Contact DW or DWS (dry/wet or dry/wet/snow). Either those or Michelins. If over 600rwhp I'd go with a drag radial such as the ET Street or M&H Racemaster http://www.mandhtires.com/M-H-Drag-Radials# .

Here is the difference in the stock tires and the Invos I bought.
P zero 255/40/zr19 diameter 27.2" overall width 10.2" 742 revs per mile
Invo's 275/30/zr19 diameter 25.59 overall width 10.63" 791.4 rpm

P zero 285/35/zr19 diameter 26.9" overall width 11.5 751 rpm
Invo's 285/35/zr19 diameter 26.73 o/a width 11.34 751.4 rpm

What handling change would you expect from the front difference? How much lower will the front drop with the 1.61" diameter difference? I have the car lowered on the T springs and it sits level now. I'm thinking I might get back the factory rake, no? If so, should I put the LCA's on the bottom hole on the relo brackets?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel