The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

First Track Day Feedback

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just completed first track day in 98 degree heat at Autobahn CC, Joliet IL. Consisted of (7) 20 min. sessions or @ 2-1/2 hrs. of total track time. WOW is this car a blast and for those that don't ever plan on tracking you'll never really experience what this car is all about or how wide the performance envelope is. Just not possible on the street. With RED track key full engaged started first session with suspension set at 5 front 4 rear. Rear end was a little unsettled so adjusting rear also to 5 made a big difference. Car overall has very neutral balance and easy to control at limit of adhesion. Live rear axle really puts the power down out of corners but does tend to kick the rear end out a bit when clipping the apex. Did not experience any brake fade but did have a few issues with the trans hanging up into mid-day sessions as things really started to heat up. Not the best thing when down shifting from 4th to 3rd at @ 110 mph, trying to get set up for left turn and can't find 3rd :eek: :eek: :eek:. I found by slowing the shift a bit and being more deliberate this only happened a few times the entire day. Running Royal Purple Syncomax which did improve shift action but MGW is still on my list. My son has one on his 2004 Mach 1 and loves it! Power wise the Boss is a beast and just loves to rev. SOOO DAMN FUN!! My 013' GB Boss drew allot of attention and in between sessions I was always busy answering questions. Pretty cool!! All I can say is THANK YOU Ford for building such a focused car and already looking forward to the next track day!!

Sesshomurai

Sounds awesome! Can't wait for my first track day in August! Your suspension tips are good to keep in mind.

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
A bunch of my GT3RS buds from FL and GA were there also. I ran Autobahn last year in 95 degree weather and it was hot. Can't imagine close to 100 degree temps were fun.

Peter

I found, with the stock shifter and bushings, that a tad of right pressure on the stick will avoid lock outs on 3rd. It is easy 2-3 because you turn your wrist so it faces right (instead of down, I usually do the push rather than the grab) your arm will naturally apply a little right pressure. I have to add about 1/4" right pressure after it self centers to get it in when the tranny is hot and shifting at high rpm. I have not figured out a trick for the 4-3 or 5-3 yet but I believe it also just needs the slight push to the right. Just it is awkward having your hand twisted like that when shifting down. But down shifts are usually under braking on the track so I think I will pull it out, let it center, then twist my hand to get it in and just take a little longer by doing it that way rather than have it refuse to go in.

Hope that helps. The MGW seems to be the way to go to really fix it, but I have not installed one yet.

As for the settings, my car "feels" better at 5/5 but the tread wings say I should be running 6/4 which unfortunately is not possible. Why I keep thinking about the LS springs and dampers.

geneva said:
Just completed first track day in 98 degree heat at Autobahn CC, Joliet IL. Consisted of (7) 20 min. sessions or @ 2-1/2 hrs. of total track time. WOW is this car a blast and for those that don't ever plan on tracking you'll never really experience what this car is all about or how wide the performance envelope is. Just not possible on the street. With RED track key full engaged started first session with suspension set at 5 front 4 rear. Rear end was a little unsettled so adjusting rear also to 5 made a big difference. Car overall has very neutral balance and easy to control at limit of adhesion. Live rear axle really puts the power down out of corners but does tend to kick the rear end out a bit when clipping the apex. Did not experience any brake fade but did have a few issues with the trans hanging up into mid-day sessions as things really started to heat up. Not the best thing when down shifting from 4th to 3rd at @ 110 mph, trying to get set up for left turn and can't find 3rd :eek: :eek: :eek:. I found by slowing the shift a bit and being more deliberate this only happened a few times the entire day. Running Royal Purple Syncomax which did improve shift action but MGW is still on my list. My son has one on his 2004 Mach 1 and loves it! Power wise the Boss is a beast and just loves to rev. SOOO DAMN FUN!! My 013' GB Boss drew allot of attention and in between sessions I was always busy answering questions. Pretty cool!! All I can say is THANK YOU Ford for building such a focused car and already looking forward to the next track day!!
Nice, I love Autobahn. Were you running North, South or full course? I also found a few 3-4 "lockouts" my first track day with the Boss but just became a little more deliberate and haven't had an issue since. Sounds like you had a blast and I'll assume you've got a few more track days planned soon ;D

At 98* did you have any issues keeping it cool? 20 minute sessions help (vs 25 or 30), but that's still a pretty hot day :-\

first 3 late morning sessions were on north track and 4 afternoon/evening sessions on south track (last session was @ 8:00 pm). Drank tons of water to stay hydrated and fortunately classroom sessions were air conditioned and well attended haha! This was my third time running at Autobahn and first with new Boss. Last October track day was full course and already signed up for this year!! Heading up to Road America next Thursday - Sunday for the Brian Redman ("The Hawk") Historic races and was also there a few weeks ago for the Continental Tire Challenge Series. Boss 302R took second in it's class just losing out to Porsche 911 in last 2 laps.

geneva said:
first 3 late morning sessions were on north track and 4 afternoon/evening sessions on south track (last session was @ 8:00 pm). Drank tons of water to stay hydrated and fortunately classroom sessions were air conditioned and well attended haha! This was my third time running at Autobahn and first with new Boss. Last October track day was full course and already signed up for this year!! Heading up to Road America next Thursday - Sunday for the Brian Redman ("The Hawk") Historic races and was also there a few weeks ago for the Continental Tire Challenge Series. Boss 302R took second in it's class just losing out to Porsche 911 in last 2 laps.
Nice. I will be running at Road America Mon/Tue. Dropping the trailer at the track tomorrow night. Fortunately this heat is going to break and forecast is for around 80 and sunny 8) It was 103* on my truck's thermometer here yesterday. Drew would have felt right at home.

Have fun at Road America, have done a number of touring events there but no track days yet. Thinking about doing an event at Gingerman in August but heard the surface is gritty and very hard on tires. Anyone driven Black Hawk Farms?? I heard its tight and really fun.

geneva said:
Have fun at Road America, have done a number of touring events there but no track days yet. Thinking about doing an event at Gingerman in August but heard the surface is gritty and very hard on tires. Anyone driven Black Hawk Farms?? I heard its tight and really fun.
Thanks I'm sure we will have a blast. Peter was right that track is quite addicting.

I'll be running Autobahn South next weekend - it's a fun track with a really active community. But Road America...now that's my home track :D. RA is just such a rush, can't get enough of that place.

TMO Supporting Vendors