The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

First track day for the Boss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well...it's finally going to happen. Taking the car out for it's first track day/time trial this weekend. Really just going out to get my fix as it's been a while since I've been on the track.

Track - Willow Springs

Based on other feedback I've read here is where I'm at with initial setup.

18X10 wheels with Continental's - square setup.
Cold tire pressure will be 28 shooting for a 38-39 hot pressure
Front shocks set to 5, rears start at 3
Leaving on stock sway bars

Any other considerations?

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Brakes.

Fluid and Cooling ducts.

Ensure you are running a good dot 4 fluid and if possible install cooling ducts on front.

If it's been a while, look for an instructor for a run or two. I have found its easy to get an instructor to ride in a Boss free of charge.

ENJOY!!

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
^ +1 on ducts and fluid. Gonna be hot out there.

Ambient temp is gonna swing a lot from when you pull in and say mid-day. So 'cold' is relative, and will be different if you set at 60º F or 85º F. Looks like mid 90s+ by mid day.

What camber are you running?

Grant 302 said:
^ +1 on ducts and fluid. Gonna be hot out there.

Ambient temp is gonna swing a lot from when you pull in and say mid-day. So 'cold' is relative, and will be different if you set at 60º F or 85º F. Looks like mid 90s+ by mid day.

What camber are you running?

Ducts installed
Fluid totally flushed with Motul 600
New Carbotech pads front and rear with the titanium shims
Camber is currently whatever the factory gave me. Car only has about 2500 miles on it. I have a set of MM caster camber plates in the box that I'll put on at some point.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Camber plates work better out of the box. LOL ;D

If you cord a tire without sufficient camber, you just lost the cost of install and also have a smoked tire which may cut your day short.

I installed MM plates and get -2.4 which works great for me.

If your alignment shop works with you and marks street and track adjustment points on your plates, adjustment is easy.

Good luck getting back on track.

Yeah...having them on the car would be a much better solution but not sure I have the time to get that done.

Does the stock suspension allow for any adjustment?

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
TMSBOSS said:
Camber plates work better out of the box. LOL ;D

If you cord a tire without sufficient camber, you just lost the cost of install and also have a smoked tire which may cut your day short.

I installed MM plates and get -2.4 which works great for me.

If your alignment shop works with you and marks street and track adjustment points on your plates, adjustment is easy.

Good luck getting back on track.

+1. I've seen people cord/ruin new slicks in a day. That's why I asked about the camber setting.

mprichar87 said:
To adjust camber on the stock configuration you have to elongate the spindle holes, so pretty much nope haha

Aside from doing this, there is very, very little adjustment in the stock setup.

After 1st session pulled into pits and now car won't try and turn over. Got a tpms sensor error. Have good battery.
Lights work but nothing on the starter. Doesn't even try to start.

Thoughts?

vrinner said:
Clutch pedal sensor
It's most likely this. Or did you determine this is the problem? If you still have a problem pull the battery cable for several minutes and that will reset most of the sensors and can solve a lot of issues that pop up.

Yeah....this was the issue. It wasn't depressing the switch all the way. I taped a piece of ru be to the pedal and got back O track.

If you're running big willow that is my home track. I'm curious to know what turn you find the most difficult or challenging.
What kind of times are you running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might pickup a cheapo code reader just to have in the box
Something like this http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/actron-pocket-scan-code-reader-cp9125c/9020005-P
I have one in all my vehicles

mrwoodman34 said:
If you're running big willow that is my home track. I'm curious to know what turn you find the most difficult or challenging.
What kind of times are you running?

For me it's always between 5 & 6...probably because I got t-boned there once but thats a different story. Had a great time with the Boss today. Didn't cord any tires but then again I don't think I was pushing it too hard. My fastest time was in the morning session 1:37. Times got worse throughout the day creaping up to 1:40-1:42. Heat I'm thinking or maybe what I've heard that the Continental tires will give you your best laps when new. They did start to get greasy throughout the session.

Biggest complaint is oil temps rose fairly quickly in the heat. Need to look at getting an oil cooler. Well also that an now my 2500 mile car has chips on the front fascia. Might be time to turn it into a track car!

One more complaint...the stock shifter sucks. I have an MGW in the box...yes I know...it will work better on the car.

Also just received my jack plates so those have to go on as well.

vrinner said:
For me it's always between 5 & 6...probably because I got t-boned there once but thats a different story. Had a great time with the Boss today. Didn't cord any tires but then again I don't think I was pushing it too hard. My fastest time was in the morning session 1:37. Times got worse throughout the day creaping up to 1:40-1:42. Heat I'm thinking or maybe what I've heard that the Continental tires will give you your best laps when new. They did start to get greasy throughout the session.

Biggest complaint is oil temps rose fairly quickly in the heat. Need to look at getting an oil cooler. Well also that an now my 2500 mile car has chips on the front fascia. Might be time to turn it into a track car!
1:37 is a very respectable time for that track. I have always run that track with street tires but this fall I will run it with NItto NT01s.
BTW, your car is a track car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TMO Supporting Vendors