The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

First track day impressions - 16 S550 PP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I did my first track day in my 16 S550 PP a couple of weeks back, and while I was generally pretty impressed with the car, the time on track pointed out a few issues. To back up a bit, I last raced W2W in 1993 and hadn't been on track since then until this summer when I went to Calabogie and did an HPDE afternoon in one of their rental race-prepped caged Mustangs with a coach. It was a fantastic day, amazing how quickly it all came back especially with the help of a great coach. I've kept up my heel/toe skills over the years so that helped. So the next step was an HPDE at Shannonville, a pretty safe wiggly track, in my car.

The car is stock except for wheels and tires, it is a base GT with PP and Recaros only. Last spring I put on a set of LMR's S350 wheels which are knock offs of the base GT350 wheels, 19 X 10 and 19 X 11 and Nitto 555 G2 tires 285 and 305. I wanted to keep the width stagger the same difference as the factory PP setup at 20 mm, since Ford tuned the suspension for that. My time on track with the car indicates that it will understeer at the limit but it is easy to moderate and avoid that. Eventually, I'm going to go square with the 11s/305s but not until I get more experience, driver rust being the biggest concern at the moment.

In the first few sessions where I was just feeling the car and track out everything felt great, I was impressed all to hell and back. Later when I got more confidence and started getting over 1g in the corners I noticed that on turn-in the rear of the car feels like it wants to come around for a brief instant but it doesn't, it just makes this brief outward motion and then seems to settle. I believe this is the soft bushings in the cradle allowing the body to shift a fair bit. This also happens multiple times in one corner that has a series of undulations in it as the rear loads and unloads. I think cradle bushings are in order? Being a street car I want to avoid increases in NVH. BMR's CB-005 cradle lockout kit seems to get good reviews with no complaints of any added NVH. Is anyone using this setup on a track day car and how it is working out? Are there better options than that?

Secondly, I missed a 4-3 downshift twice, driver rust is no doubt some of this, but this shifter generally gets not great reviews. Both times in the same double apex corner which I trail brake into and the downshift occurs where there is significant lateral and braking loads being generated. Are the mounts that bolt the shifter to the transmission housing like the Blowfish or FTBR units of any value? Does it come down to needing the MGW shifter and if so, will that fix the problem, or is it always going to be a problem with the soft engine/trans mounts and they need to be changed?

Last thing is front brake rotor temps were in the mid-high 300s, but rears almost 500. I had the nannies on due to my still questionable skills, but only saw the stabilitrac light flash briefly once all day and I never actually felt it doing anything. Is this heat difference normal or is it likely being caused by the nannies? Next time out I'll run without nannies and that should provide more insight. These brakes are outstanding, even though the stock pads dust like hell they're by far the best brakes I've ever had.

I'll be looking to make more changes down the road. But for now, this is enough to address immediately apparent issues and concentrate on improving the driver, who needs more help than the car does! Thanks in advance for any input you have.

I just installed a cradle lockout a few weekends ago before a track event. The feel was night and day vs stock. Very planted. No slop. With this comes a slight increase in noise, but nothing harsh.

An MGW is a "must have". I put it in parentheses because there are people who run the stock shifter. I love the positive feel of my MGW and haven't ever missed a shift (upshift or downshift) unless I had a complete bonehead situation.

Nannies will definitely heat those rear brakes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yes the nannies, whether or not you see the light or feel it, do heat the rear brakes. The AdvanceTrac in the S550 cars is more advanced than the S197 cars.

I agree the MGW is must have with the MT-82. Start there and see if you need to do anything else to sharpen up the shifting.

Another thing to consider is an AUTO-BLiP. The best way to increase your lap times and improve the smoothness of your driving.

http://www.auto-blip.com/

I'm a big fan of Nitto NT01's and would look at them for your next tire purchase. Going 18x11 with some Apex wheels and NT01's will make a nice difference. Their 18" wheels will clear the large six piston PP brakes.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/►-apex-ec-7-mustang-wheels.12935/

If you don't have it on your list I'd add front rotor brake cooling ducts. Have fun with your TrackMustang!

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Yes the nannies, whether or not you see the light or feel it, do heat the rear brakes. The AdvanceTrac in the S550 cars is more advanced than the S197 cars.

I agree the MGW is must have with the MT-82. Start there and see if you need to do anything else to sharpen up the shifting.

Another thing to consider is an AUTO-BLiP. The best way to increase your lap times and improve the smoothness of your driving.

I'm a big fan of Nitto NT01's and would look at them for your next tire purchase. Going 18x11 with some Apex wheels and NT01's will make a nice difference. Their 18" wheels will clear the large six piston PP brakes.

If you don't have it on your list I'd add front rotor brake cooling ducts. Have fun with your TrackMustang!

Thanks for that info, those are all great ideas. Never considered the NT01's but I'll talk to my tire guy (my nephew!) about availability of that tire up here. I do plan on another set of wheels down the road and planned to look at the Apex 18" units.

I've been thinking about the auto-blip in particular as a 1st round of upgrades candidate. I broke my right ankle a few years ago and it's not as flexible as it used to be. I don't heel-toe per se, I roll the side of my foot onto the gas to blip, but that is not working as slick as it used to due to limited motion in the ankle. It's a big problem in particular getting down to 2nd smoothly going into the slowest corner on the track which leads onto the longest straight, so there's big penalty to pay when that corner doesn't go well.

Good morning all,

I am new to this forum with a recent purchased GT350. I have done HPDE on my other car (2011 Audi S4) and moved up to the Mustang to try to get better on the track with RWD. I ran NT01 on my Audi and love it and would love to do the same for the Shelby. I am hoping to run 305/30-19 on all four tires. Does the 18" fit that monster Brembo 6 piston in the front? Also any advice on the Square setup is appreciated.

Welcome to TMO. I like NT01’s but you’ll find the Michelin SC2 tires to be faster. We have not found any 18” wheels that clear the massive brakes on the GT350. I’m running a square 305/30/19 SC2 setup on my car with no suspension modifications needed. This cures the slight push the car had stock. I have CC plates and am now running the Ford Performance lowering springs.

Welcome to TMO. I like NT01’s but you’ll find the Michelin SC2 tires to be faster. We have not found any 18” wheels that clear the massive brakes on the GT350. I’m running a square 305/30/19 SC2 setup on my car with no suspension modifications needed. This cures the slight push the car had stock. I have CC plates and am now running the Ford Performance lowering springs.
Thanks Rick. So no spacers and and you are using 19x11 Wheels for front and back so that you can rotate front to back? or you are using the same size tires on the stagger wheels to keep them square that way but not able to rotate front and back? Just wanted to avoid having to remount the tires on wheels every 4-5 heat cycles. Hope that makes sense

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel