The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

First Track Day in 2018 GT PP1~ Issues :(

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

All,

I took my 2018 GT PP1 to VIR today for its first track day. First off, it's an unbelievable car. It is light years ahead of my '14 GT and it will take me many years to be as good as this car is.

With that being said, the day didn't go perfectly.

-Session 1: Had the check engine light flicker a few times. Came in, checked temps, all were good, went back out on track and had no issues.
-Session 2: Driving the car very hard trying to catch up to an '18 Grand Sport. After 3-4 hard laps, rear axle oil temperature warning comes up. Came in, it was 255ish and the red doesn't start til 300 so I wasn't overly worried about this. After all, it was 90* outside.
-Session 3: Have the rear axle oil gauge front and center. Never goes above 215*. Everything is going great, when randomly going down the back straight my check engine light flickers again. I immediately pulled off track to investigate. By the time I had pulled back into the paddock, the light went away again. All temps were good, I could not find a single thing out of the norm.

I'm not very concerned about the axle oil temp as it was very hot out there today and the PP2's actually recommend a differential cooler if you plan on tracking. What could the check engine be? Should I take it to Ford and see if they can find a code even though the light was only on for 15 seconds? I'm not driving this car 1/4th as hard as some of you all drive. My quickest lap may have been 2:20ish on the full course and I truthfully short shifted most of the day just to take it easy on the car.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys!!

Bummer. What Steve said. I'd also take it to your dealer and get it documented that you're having issues. If they persist your dealer will have the history.

Regarding the diff mine ran hot on my GT350 with an oil cooler. If you plan on tracking your car a lot diff, trans and additional engine coolers might be needed.

UPDATE***

Took the car to the dealership today. They claimed the check engine light I got was the rear diff oil temp sensor. They said the sensor was bad, but the oil was fine. They drained it, put in a new sensor, and put new rear diff oil in. Why am I doubting that the check engine light flickered for 15-20 seconds because of the rear axle oil sensor? Hmmm....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
Perhaps that's when the sensor was in the process of dying, and it was generating an erratic signal?

It'll be worth it to get your own code reader. Some of the newer consumer-level units claim to be able to read ABS codes as well.

Norm

Ive been told having my own code reader can actually cancel/do away with the code. The car is 100% stock and under warranty, I don't think I should touch the car... Leave it to Ford.

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
More knowledge is better. The code reader will only help you in understanding what issues are as they arise, and better deal with them. Still take it to the dealer, but you know how the old saying goes.

Trust, but verify...…

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Orlando, FL
Perhaps that's when the sensor was in the process of dying, and it was generating an erratic signal?

It'll be worth it to get your own code reader. Some of the newer consumer-level units claim to be able to read ABS codes as well.

Norm

Can you recommend a code reader?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TMO Supporting Vendors