The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

First Track Day in the Boss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Went to Homestead Motor Speedway yesterday for my first track day in the Boss (have tracked numerous other cars before). I had a couple questions and thought I'd share my impressions for those interested:
1. Overall the car held up great with one possible exception. After 4 or 5 laps the oil temp would climb dangerously close to the yellow line. It never got there probably because I lowered the revs and/or pitted and cooled the car down. Is this a known issue and if so what is the solution? Is there an uprated oil cooler on the LS or Shelby I should fit on the car? Outside temp was about 81 degrees at mid-day. Was using the track key.
2. I was concerned about water temp going out there but had no issues whatsoever. Needle never budged.
3. I was also a little worried about the brakes, as all I did was change the fluid to Castrol SRF, but the stock pads held up fine. I went to a track day many years ago and watched a guy with a fox body GT set the rear drums on fire, literally. Obviously that has nothing in common with the Boss but still the image sat in the back of my head of a flaming Mustang as I rolled out of the pits. So, I was cautious and exercised more mechanical sympathy than I might have had I total confidence in the brakes, but by being a little conservative I had no issues. I'm going to upgrade the pads for the next trip but probably nothing more.
4. I like the OE Pirellis. I have no idea if that is a majority or minority opinion but the outer tread blocks held up well and they're progressive at the limit IMHO. They may not be the last word in absolute grip but I wasn't really out there to set a lap time.
5. I think the peddles are perfect for heel and toe. Everyone is different but I barely missed a downshift....but that 2-3 upshift caught me out a few times, especially if I wanted to overtake and the red mist was in my eyes. It doesn't like to be hurried.
Overall I think it's a great track car and a helluva deal for the price. Thanks for your input.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Cartman said:
Went to Homestead Motor Speedway yesterday for my first track day in the Boss (have tracked numerous other cars before). I had a couple questions and thought I'd share my impressions for those interested:
1. Overall the car held up great with one possible exception. After 4 or 5 laps the oil temp would climb dangerously close to the yellow line. It never got there probably because I lowered the revs and/or pitted and cooled the car down. Is this a known issue and if so what is the solution? Is there an uprated oil cooler on the LS or Shelby I should fit on the car? Outside temp was about 81 degrees at mid-day. Was using the track key.
2. I was concerned about water temp going out there but had no issues whatsoever. Needle never budged.
3. I was also a little worried about the brakes, as all I did was change the fluid to Castrol SRF, but the stock pads held up fine. I went to a track day many years ago and watched a guy with a fox body GT set the rear drums on fire, literally. Obviously that has nothing in common with the Boss but still the image sat in the back of my head of a flaming Mustang as I rolled out of the pits. So, I was cautious and exercised more mechanical sympathy than I might have had I total confidence in the brakes, but by being a little conservative I had no issues. I'm going to upgrade the pads for the next trip but probably nothing more.
4. I like the OE Pirellis. I have no idea if that is a majority or minority opinion but the outer tread blocks held up well and they're progressive at the limit IMHO. They may not be the last word in absolute grip but I wasn't really out there to set a lap time.
5. I think the peddles are perfect for heel and toe. Everyone is different but I barely missed a downshift....but that 2-3 upshift caught me out a few times, especially if I wanted to overtake and the red mist was in my eyes. It doesn't like to be hurried.
Overall I think it's a great track car and a helluva deal for the price. Thanks for your input.

How are you reading oil temp ?

-Pete

On the TFT screen, where you monitor temps, and you scroll up and down, there is the visual of the oil temp along with air temp, volts and some other things, it's mostly green then a thin yellow bar and then red. I got really close to the yellow. Is that unreliable? Thanks for the response.

I'm guessing Pete is like me and has a 2012. We don't have the fun screens or sync. :) Sounds like you had fun and kept the shiny side up!

I don't know about the oil cooler, but would be interested to find out if there's a good bolt in option.

Do get some track pads. I'm running Hawk DTC-60 front & rear. You need one of those stupid tools to retract the rear piston at the track though. Don't forget to bring that with you.

I was able to set some good lap times in the Pirellis, but after 16k miles they're toast. Going to go with something else in a 295 all round next month. You'll likely want more front tire width and negative camber pretty quick.

People complain about the trans, but just take your time with your shifts and I think you'll be fine!

-Nick

Sent from the tiny computer in my pocket.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
For the Oil Cooler, the "off-the-shelf" options are the Ford Racing 302S kit, or the Cooltech kit; or you can make your own kit for about half the price (assuming you have the proper tools) by searching "DIY Oil Cooler" here on BMO.

Guys,
Thanks so much for the responses. I called Ford Racing's tech line today to talk about the oil cooler. He said he had not heard of this overheating issue personally but didn't seem to deny it was possible. He did say the oil cooler should obviously be checked to see if it's functioning properly (which is the obvious first step). I then asked if the 302S was running the same cooler so he looked that up and as another person above notes it does not. It runs a "Setrab Proline" engine oil cooler per the 302 S owner's manual. So it sounds like if my cooler is working and it is just inadequate for Miami weather I'll need to upgrade. Does anyone know a good place to get this upgraded kit? Thanks again.

RacerDuck said:
I'm guessing Pete is like me and has a 2012. We don't have the fun screens or sync. :) Sounds like you had fun and kept the shiny side up!

I don't know about the oil cooler, but would be interested to find out if there's a good bolt in option.

Do get some track pads. I'm running Hawk DTC-60 front & rear. You need one of those stupid tools to retract the rear piston at the track though. Don't forget to bring that with you.

I was able to set some good lap times in the Pirellis, but after 16k miles they're toast. Going to go with something else in a 295 all round next month. You'll likely want more front tire width and negative camber pretty quick.

People complain about the trans, but just take your time with your shifts and I think you'll be fine!

-Nick

Nick,
Are you running a 10" wheel all around for those 295s F/R or how does that work? Thanks for the tips.
Mike

I'm planning to order a set of the Team Dynamics wheels that Pufferfish keeps in stock. https://www.blowfishracing.com/wheels-and-tires/20-18x10-pro-race-13-wheels.html

Edit:
But now that I read this thread https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=3985.msg62148#msg62148, I really have to consider the SVE Drifts as well. Not as well known of a track wheel, but at half the price they're a convincing alternative.

-Nick

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel