The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

First track day / Reporting issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NFSBOSS said:
It's the stock clutch. Install a McLeod RST twin disc and you'll be good to go. I'll explain why this evening when I have more time.
I value information from the guys pushing their cars because I suspect the OEM stuff is pretty much OK on the street...
THX NFSBOSS

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
My clutch is still stock.

I removed the helper spring from the pedal assemble, had Ford do the TSB for dual clutch fluid in the trans, installed a aftermarket clutch line and added the MGW shifter.

Second gear "Nibble" is there when cold.

No other issues when shifting now.

I do not have the miles on the car that most do. Just a little over 6200 miles. I work overseas and only drive in good weather when I am home.

Am I on borrowed time for the clutch?? Maybe. Will I replace it with another stock clutch when it goes south.....Oh H*&L No.

To much evidence of this being a bad idea.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I had the same issue at Chuckwalla with the stock clutch, I was getting locked out of 4th.

NFSBOSS said:
It's the stock clutch. Install a McLeod RST twin disc and you'll be good to go. I'll explain why this evening when I have more time.

+1

I have the RXT as my car doesn't see street use anymore. Car shifts great at high RPM.

I also have the pedal spring removed (pedal gets SUPER light once the RST/RXT goes in, if the helper spring is still there) and Whiteline trans bushing installed (cheap peace of mind).
Shifter is a Steeda Tri-Ax.

ArizonaBOSS said:
I had the same issue at Chuckwalla with the stock clutch, I was getting locked out of 4th.

+1

I have the RXT as my car doesn't see street use anymore. Car shifts great at high RPM.

I also have the pedal spring removed (pedal gets SUPER light once the RST/RXT goes in, if the helper spring is still there) and Whiteline trans bushing installed (cheap peace of mind).
Shifter is a Steeda Tri-Ax.

Thank you ArizonaBoss,
So even you still run the stock M-82.
Interesting.
Do you have stock engine mounts or poly?
It now seems clear I have to get myself an aftermarket clutch (Mc Leod / Exedy...)

It's the stock clutch. Install a McLeod RST twin disc and you'll be good to go. I talked to a couple of the clutch manufacturers and only McLeod seemed to have a handle on what the problem was. This was over a year ago. What McLeod said was that the stock clutch cannot handle high RPM's and doesn't fully release. They said the centrifugal force overwhelms the metal fingers (Steveespo knows the proper name for them). They said a twin disc clutch has smaller friction plates which keeps the centrifugal forces closer to the center of the driveline. This seemed logical to me but I'm no engineer. Regardless after installing my new clutch and during my first track session my clutch pedal stuck to the floor. I thought replacing the clutch would fix that but it didn't. During the lunch break I removed the spring and haven't had it stick since then. I have 9 track days on my car since installing the RXT and have not missed a single shift. The car shifts great now. The clutch line is for use with headers and does nothing to solve the pedal sticking or clutch disengaging. I would install a RST and not the RXT unless you're racing.

IMO many of the transmission problems are because of the clutch. With that said I'm not a fan of the MT-82 and it's the glass jaw of our cars. The only downside of the Tremec is the gear ratios but a rear end swap for the serious track rat will fix that.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
patrickshelby said:
Thank you ArizonaBoss,
So even you still run the stock M-82.
Interesting.
Do you have stock engine mounts or poly?
It now seems clear I have to get myself an aftermarket clutch (Mc Leod / Exedy...)

Stock engine mounts. The MT82 is OKAY. If it takes a dump I'm already debating whether to replace with another MT82 or a Magnum XL. The ratios of the 82 are really good for this car with the extra revs.
I think my third gear synchro is wearing out, however (due to botched shifts w/ the stock shifter/clutch when I first started tracking the car). Still works great if I don't rush it into gear.
The only real barrier to the Magnum is that the entire kit would be about double the cost of an MT82 replacement.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
NFSBOSS said:
The only downside of the Tremec is the gear ratios but a rear end swap for the serious track rat will fix that.

TBH I think I would just leave the stock 3.73 ratio in the rear with the Magnum; you will just use gears 2-3-4 with the Magnum instead of 3-4-5 with the MT-82. Plus with the Magnum I'll bet you can even shift down into first if you needed to for some reason.

patrickshelby said:
HARDCORE ROAD RACERS:
ArizonaBoss
Neema
Cloud9
Yellowjacket
Steveespo
NFSBoss
Yellowboss
Pufferfish
TMSBoss
Further
CaptDistraction
LS110
Roadhouse
Keavdog
Digit
etc...(can't name you all)!

You all track your Boss and could not enjoy it if you would have such shifting issues.
What: Transmission / Clutch / clutch line / slave cylinder / flywheel / shifter / shifter mount / engine mounts / trans mount /
do you have on your car?

Everything is stock. Had some minimal issues at first. Recently I have had some major issues. The car is at the dealership, hopefully getting a rebuilt or new trans. I have avoided aftermarket products to preserve the trans warranty. My first step would be a new clutch and go for there.

The Tremec Magnum XL is attractive but requires several other mods, including a new shorter driveshaft and electronics among other things. I'm not interested.

Luckily the engine has so much torque, downshifts are minimal. I run VIR mostly and you can really do the hole thing in fourth if you wish.

Tulsa, OK
On my GT, the only transmission modifications I've made is a MGW shifter, WL trans bushing, and removed the clutch helper spring. I shift my car regular over 7k rpms and don't experience any issues while on track.

Thank you all for your comments!!!
I will change my complete clutch system + the slave cylinder + the clutch line.
Patrick

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
NFSBOSS said:
It's the stock clutch. Install a McLeod RST twin disc and you'll be good to go. I talked to a couple of the clutch manufacturers and only McLeod seemed to have a handle on what the problem was. This was over a year ago. What McLeod said was that the stock clutch cannot handle high RPM's and doesn't fully release. They said the centrifugal force overwhelms the metal fingers (Steveespo knows the proper name for them). They said a twin disc clutch has smaller friction plates which keeps the centrifugal forces closer to the center of the driveline. This seemed logical to me but I'm no engineer. Regardless after installing my new clutch and during my first track session my clutch pedal stuck to the floor. I thought replacing the clutch would fix that but it didn't. During the lunch break I removed the spring and haven't had it stick since then. I have 9 track days on my car since installing the RXT and have not missed a single shift. The car shifts great now. The clutch line is for use with headers and does nothing to solve the pedal sticking or clutch disengaging. I would install a RST and not the RXT unless you're racing.

IMO many of the transmission problems are because of the clutch. With that said I'm not a fan of the MT-82 and it's the glass jaw of our cars. The only downside of the Tremec is the gear ratios but a rear end swap for the serious track rat will fix that.

Agreed, when my car was in getting the transmission rebuilt at Ford. My tech who is a friend of a friend showed me the stock Boss clutch after he removed it and it was frayed and beat up looking. He was the one that pushed me to do a aftermarket clutch. You do not lose warranty on the transmission just the clutch when you upgrade.
My list , McLeod RST clutch and matched lightened steel flywheel, Ford racing shifter, McLeod clutch line (its cheap why not), removal of the clutch assist spring, skip shift unplug (got a 12), SP racing pedal set with 1/4' extension and optional complete transmission rebuild or replacement from Ford.
The car now drives like it should on or off the track. Zero issue's on track do not even think about the transmission do not race but run in the advanced group at hpde's.
Have the Whiteline bushing sitting in the garage, it will go in with the hole modification to it this spring sometime just cause. Was looking at motor mounts and gave up on them as no one seems to have a design that holds up to the Boss with track use.
Good luck with your car.

For those who switched to the Mc Leod RST or RXT did you change the flywheel?
If so, which one did you buy?

BTW: Do you think Randy Pobst had the stock clutch when he tested the 2012 LS at Laguna seca or against the ZL1?
I doubt... :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCMxgoWaq9Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE4AH4DZtEI

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I went with the aluminum flywheel since the car was planned to be a race car anyways. For the street, you might want the steel one.

You will one of the two McLeod flywheels anyways--the stock FW friction area doesn't match the McLeod clutch plates exactly so the clutch plates have some area that is not touching the FW near the center. You'll see when it all comes apart.

RST is the street application (organic friction material) and should have the best pedal release/engagement characteristics. RXT uses ceramic friction material which is geared more towards life and performance during hard use vs. feel.

BTW while you have the trans out replacing the clutch you will want to do these other things at the same time:
1. New throw out bearing. $135.
2. Cobra Jet Competition Pulse Ring from FRPP. $90.
3. O-Ring TSB for Crank Position Sensor (and maybe a new CPS depending on how yours looks, mine was DENTED somehow). $35.

Additionally you'll have to do a Neutral Profile Relearn on the car after the clutch is installed, the car will go into limp mode periodically until that's done.

Thank you Arizona Boss,
I will go with the EXEDY sold by REHAGEN but I know both Mc Leod's are good solutions as well.
Yes I buy a complete set with flywheel. I think it always makes sense as you explain.
Yes I am buying the other bits as well but I have to find someone here (in Switzerland) able to perform the neutral relearn...
That is going to be the hard part of the swap!

ArizonaBOSS said:
I went with the aluminum flywheel since the car was planned to be a race car anyways. For the street, you might want the steel one.

You will one of the two McLeod flywheels anyways--the stock FW friction area doesn't match the McLeod clutch plates exactly so the clutch plates have some area that is not touching the FW near the center. You'll see when it all comes apart.

RST is the street application (organic friction material) and should have the best pedal release/engagement characteristics. RXT uses ceramic friction material which is geared more towards life and performance during hard use vs. feel.

BTW while you have the trans out replacing the clutch you will want to do these other things at the same time:
1. New throw out bearing. $135.
2. Cobra Jet Competition Pulse Ring from FRPP. $90.
3. O-Ring TSB for Crank Position Sensor (and maybe a new CPS depending on how yours looks, mine was DENTED somehow). $35.

Additionally you'll have to do a Neutral Profile Relearn on the car after the clutch is installed, the car will go into limp mode periodically until that's done.

What about a pilot bearing. Im old school and not sure if they still use them.

patrickshelby said:
For those who switched to the Mc Leod RST or RXT did you change the flywheel?
If so, which one did you buy?

BTW: Do you think Randy Pobst had the stock clutch when he tested the 2012 LS at Laguna seca or against the ZL1?
I doubt... :D
I'm sure Randy's car was stock.

As Drew already mentioned you should replace the flywheel if the clutch manufacturer recommends it. No question on the McLeod's. I have the RXT but would go with the RST for a street driven car for the reasons Drew mentioned. The Exedy is also a fine option.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Yeah the Exedy clutches Rehagen sells will work great, the only downside to their twin discs is the price.

I had a spare pilot bearing ready to go but did not install it since my car only had around 15000 miles when the new clutch went in.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
boss man said:
What about a pilot bearing. Im old school and not sure if they still use them.

Get a pilot bearing just in case but don't change it unless you see or feel a problem with the stock one when the trans is out. I changed mine and it was not really needed, its a permanently lubed bearing and it spun very well before I pulled it.
Steve

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel