The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

First Track Day -- several questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My first track day is about two weeks off and I'm really excited.
I have a standad BOSS and have added the brake ducts and the transmission scoop and will swap to DOT 4 brake fluid.
But, I have a few questions. Please help.
1. If overheating becomes a problem (quite possible -- I'm in Alabama) I know I can remove the grill. If so, should I reinstall the black plastic radiator cover before running?
2. Can I (should I) swap the front wheels half way through the weekend? Are the P zeros directional?
3. About what hot tire pressure is best for maximum tire wear (with stock camber)?
4. Please share any other advise/tips you have for a first timer. (only other time on track was BOSS Track Attack)
Thanks.
-- Jim

Jim, good questions.

If you pull the grille that cover needs to be replaced since it is there to direct air flow into the radiator. However since I never did this I do not know how it stays in place.

3. About what hot tire pressure is best for maximum tire wear (with stock camber)?

I normally try to get minimum tire wear ;D I assume you do and I hear 40 PSI hot is what you are looking for. Depending on how hard you run start around 28-32 cold not sitting in the sun.

You can swap the tires side to side IF IT IS DRY. They are directional but in the dry you should be OK. However one weekend as a beginner is not going to give you too much without camber.

4. Please share any other advise/tips you have for a first timer.

Have fun

If you do remove the grille, replace the black shroud above the grille with all 8 push pins just like when you removed it. With the hood closed it will stay in place just fine ;)

Thanks all. Going to be 95 degrees at the track tomorrow !!!!!
Any recommendations for a canopy of some sort that can be easily assembled, provide some shade and not damage asphalt?
Also, should I just plan on having overheating problems and remove the grill and leave it at home?
Thanks again.
-- Jim

YellowJacketBoss302 said:
Thanks all. Going to be 95 degrees at the track tomorrow !!!!!
Any recommendations for a canopy of some sort that can be easily assembled, provide some shade and not damage asphalt?
Also, should I just plan on having overheating problems and remove the grill and leave it at home?
Thanks again.
-- Jim
I think you'll be fine if you're in Alabama and near sea level. It's the elevation that causes more issues than the ambient air temp. Just check your temp gauge periodically when you're in the straightaway.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
All great recommendations. When I ran with the Corsa's I ran just about 40 lbs hot as stated above. The most important thing to remember is to check your wear lines, especially your left front tire. You may also find you need to bleed some air out of this tire before or more than the others. I suggest starting out at not less than 35 or 36 PSI. Since you havn't done many track days yet you probably won't heat up the tires as quickly as you will as you progress. I've found (personal opionion, others may have different views) that I'd rather bee on the high side and lower the pressure to get som emore grip. If you start out too low the car can get sloppy and be harder overall to control, especially if you start to roll over the front tires.

Have a great event !

PeteInCT said:
I've found (personal opionion, others may have different views) that I'd rather be on the high side and lower the pressure to get some more grip. If you start out too low the car can get sloppy and be harder overall to control, especially if you start to roll over the front tires.
This.

Thanks for all the help.
Here’s a quick update.
- Heart of Dixie BMW club event at BMP .. well run
- great instructor
- 95 degrees both days (miserably hot)
- clutch line had been disconnected and supposedly flushed with DOT 4
- still had problems shifting into 4 on several occasions
- Motul 600 DOT 4 and stock pads… no problems
- overheated on second session and was running very rough (limp mode?)
- checked codes and found several P3XX codes and cleared them
- removed grill .. engine overheating solved
- body heat (mine) still a problem (did I mention it was unbearably hot!)
- bought a golf shirt and put frozen gel packs into the two front pockets. That helped a little with the heat. Kept about 10 packs in a cooler with dry ice.
- stone cold PSI 33 front 32 rear yielded around 40 or 41 hot front and rear.
- tires wore much more on outside than center. Ran some sessions as high as 43.

--- Jim

Glad you had a good time Jim. Sounds like the limp mode was from the misfire codes (P030X) going off when you hit the rev limiter. If you have track key programmed correctly it should slove that part.

Tire pressures are not easy to figure out. If you do not have camber plates installed you will get edge wear. Be careful of running the pressure too high since the car can get very slippery.

Sounds like a good day. When you say you overheated, did you pop the radiator cap or just go into limp mode? (yes it runs rough...bogs...shuts off 4 cylinders and cuts fuel)

As far as your engine codes, that's common for the track. They're random misfire codes that are incorrectly reading from the crankshaft sensor. Go to your dealer and have them perform the crankshaft sensor relearn TSB and you won't have that problem again.

GA
You can see as it gets hot the track becomes less fun. One thing I found that helps when the weather is warm is to cool your head between sessions, which I do by soaking terry towels in the cooler and then draping them over my head. I feel much better throughout the day. I want to get back to Barber but not until October or November. I am going to Carolina Motorsports Park this weekend and I will be prepared. Then no more track days for me until the fall - the summer down here is too hard on me and the car.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
PJWANNABE said:
One thing I found that helps when the weather is warm is to cool your head between sessions, which I do by soaking terry towels in the cooler and then draping them over my head. I feel much better throughout the day.

I do this as well, feels "invigorating" when it first touches your skin but so very, very good.

cloud9 said:
Sounds like a good day. When you say you overheated, did you pop the radiator cap or just go into limp mode? (yes it runs rough...bogs...shuts off 4 cylinders and cuts fuel)

As far as your engine codes, that's common for the track. They're random misfire codes that are incorrectly reading from the crankshaft sensor. Go to your dealer and have them perform the crankshaft sensor relearn TSB and you won't have that problem again.
I don't think the radiator cap popped -- no coolant spewed out.
Do you have a number for that TSB?
Thanks.
-- Jim

PJWANNABE said:
You can see as it gets hot the track becomes less fun. One thing I found that helps when the weather is warm is to cool your head between sessions, which I do by soaking terry towels in the cooler and then draping them over my head. I feel much better throughout the day. I want to get back to Barber but not until October or November. I am going to Carolina Motorsports Park this weekend and I will be prepared. Then no more track days for me until the fall - the summer down here is too hard on me and the car.
Thanks. That is a great idea! I'll be sure to try it.

Here is a link to some pictures of the event. For those who have never been to Barber, I included quite a few long shots just to give you an idea what the facility is like. It's very nice.
I should have several very good photos in a few days and I'll post them then.

http://s1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff443/yellowjacketboss302/Barber%20HPDE%205-26-12/

-- Jim

YellowJacketBoss302 said:
Here is a link to some pictures of the event. For those who have never been to Barber, I included quite a few long shots just to give you an idea what the facility is like. It's very nice.
I should have several very good photos in a few days and I'll post them then.

http://s1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff443/yellowjacketboss302/Barber%20HPDE%205-26-12/

-- Jim

Very nice, glad to see another Yellow Boss tearing up the track ;D

TMO Supporting Vendors