The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

First track night in a while

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello all,

Well after finally getting the shifting issues sorted out in my Boss I am signed up for a track night at Pittsburgh Motorsports Complex Aug. 10. I bought this car new and for the last several years it has been sitting a lot.

I ordered a set of Michelin pilot sport 4s for the rear. Fronts are Potenza S 04's...... fronts are about 70%. am I making a mistake mixing these tires? The rears are about 1/32 from the wear bars. should I just go ahead and run them down to the wear bars? Or should I just go ahead and replace fronts as well? tires are about 4 years old.

also, I have a quart of ATE Blue brake fluid that has been sitting sealed for 5 years. I was going to flush the brake fluid. Any issue with using this fluid?

thank you!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
The Bridgestone S04 are really not happy at the track.... huge difference compared to the michelin 4s. Would not even street drive it with that combo...The ate fluid is a barely ok brake fluid for me. And if its 5 years old........ I have very bad memories of ATE so might be overly sensative.. Sorry if I sound too negative!!

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk

I have never had a problem with ATE fluid, but I will get something better.

I just ordered front tires. I Am looking forward to seeing how they handle on the track. I was not impressed with the S-04s and have heard nothing but great things about the michelins!

I also have a road trip planned in a couple weeks to go drive Tail Of the Dragon and Moonshiner 28. New tires all around will be a good idea.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
[QUOTE="Nothing was wrong with ATE fluid. Not sure how it came up [/QUOTE]

That would be me!! I would always boil the ATE brake fluid every time I went to the track... Ended up changing it after every event. Real pain.... As you know, now I am addicted to Castrol SRF

No issues with ATE, I used it with no problems. If cloud9 ran it without boiling it should be fine for most of us. ;) Not saying you can't boil it just that it's fine for many of us.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Alright now you got me thinking about Blue. I suppose it was some kind of additive that changed the color of the ATE fluid. Anyone have any idea what it was that made it blue and what's to stop you at home from adding this to the fluid.

U.S. DOT Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards stipulate that brake fluid must be either clear or amber in color. Apparently the DOT figured out some 15 years after this regulation was enacted that ATE Super Blue brake fluid was, in fact, blue in color and moved to ban it from the U.S. market. Dumb regulation, but oh well.

For brake fluid I agree with Mad Hatter...Castrol SRF hands down. A lot of guys here vouch for Motual RBF 600 or 650, also good stuff. SRF is more expensive but the bottle is twice the volume of Motul or others and SRF lasts much longer before needing changed.

As for "home brew" blue brake fluid, probably not advisable unless you're a chemist, although I've wondered about that, too.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors