The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

First track outing......so frustrating!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherno134 said:
Unfortunately Ford did not install a high rpm capable clutch behind the high rpm capable "roadrunner" 302 engine. Replacing the clutch with a better quality unit has been a common and required upgrade for many Boss owners who track their cars. The pressure plate springs are often too weak to overcome the opposing centrifugal force at high rpms and the springs keepers in the clutch disc hub often fail and let the springs get jammed between clutch disc and either the pressure plate or flywheel. The failing spring keepers and dislodged clutch hub springs will promptly end your track day or weekend and require your car be towed home. :mad:

Last winter I installed the 1st generation MGW Race Spec shifter along with a Mcleod RST clutch and aluminum flywheel. I have not missed a shift on track since - no lockouts, no missed shifter gates.

If you want to save a few $100 on the clutch purchase, wait until December when most of the online suppliers have big discounts.

Boy I hope I have the same result as you did. I will be anticipating a nice Christmas present to myself!

A new clutch, a proper frt. geometry and some brake ducts and an otherwise stock Boss is ready for the track.
Of course you can do a lot more but these are the needed upgrades.
The trans lock up IS the clutch.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Would have to include the Blowfish bracket! I had the older MGW shifter and it did squat for lockout. The new mgw shifter that just came out looks like it is directly comparable (in results) to the blowfish unit.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
I'm thinking about picking up a BFR Shifter Support Bracket. I was on of the few who jumped on the version 1 MGW Race Spec Shifter that still used the twin post rear body mount.

I've only missed one down shift into 3rd, but missed two up shifts to 3rd under high RPM shifts. Overall very happy with the MGW performance as a short throw shifter, but I never expected a shifter to be a transmission and/or clutch issue fix. It is what it is, a short throw shifter. One thing for sure, it does an excellent job in improving the shift feel, and a good job in the reduction of the overall shift travel.

With that said, does the BFR Bracket come ready for install that supports an MGW twin post rear mount? Or do I have to buy something more to fit the twin post rear mount?

Edit: Or, does MGW sell a V1 To V2 Race Spec Shifter Conversion Kit to eliminate the rear twin post mount? Wonder which way might be the better solution?

Thank you all,
Dave
302 Hi Pro

I love my MGW twin post shifter with the BFR bracket. I think it's the best combination out there. You get both precise and accurate shifts 99.98% of the time (I very rarely get 3rd lockouts when downshifting 5-3 during hard braking and heel-toeing). It's a shame MGW stopped making their older version shifters, because with the BFR bracket, you also get a safety loop, which is a plus. From what I've read, there's not a safety look that fits with the race shifter, yet.

When BFR started selling the bracket, it included both stock and MGW twin post adapters. I know the MGW adapter was redesigned since my purchase. Couldn't hurt to hit up Steve at BFR to find out!

302 Hi Pro

Southeast
F.D. Sako said:
I love my MGW twin post shifter with the BFR bracket. I think it's the best combination out there. You get both precise and accurate shifts 99.98% of the time (I very rarely get 3rd lockouts when downshifting 5-3 during hard braking and heel-toeing). It's a shame MGW stopped making their older version shifters, because with the BFR bracket, you also get a safety loop, which is a plus. From what I've read, there's not a safety look that fits with the race shifter, yet.

When BFR started selling the bracket, it included both stock and MGW twin post adapters. I know the MGW adapter was redesigned since my purchase. Couldn't hurt to hit up Steve at BFR to find out!

Interesting as I have the Race Spec solid billet shifter box to transmission mount, and the Race Spec billet shift linkage that eliminates all of the joints, but I have the twin post body mount that would work with the BFR bracket.

I'll have to contact Steve to see if his bracket will work with this shifter box and my 4.0" aluminum drive shaft.

Thanks for your help on this.
Dave

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Dave

Like Sarkis stated, the MGW and Blowfish combination has advantages no other shifter/combination has.

I installed a first gen MGW with a first gen Blowfish bracket. I simply removed and turned over the rear mount from MGW and bolted it to the Blowfish bracket.

MGW's attempt to incorporate the Blowfish concepts came up a bit short by not incorporating a safety loop.

Call Steve at Blowfish to confirm fit. Steve is a racer as well as a skilled engineer.

302 Hi Pro said:
I've only missed one down shift into 3rd, but missed two up shifts to 3rd under high RPM shifts.
Are you using the stock clutch?

302 Hi Pro

Southeast
VooDooBOSS said:
Are you using the stock clutch?

Yes and No, it's still the OEM spec clutch, but replaced under warranty due to failed pressure plate springs.

I was going to opt for the McLeod Twin, but I paused after seeing the clutch disc hub failure, and after seeing the pressure plate housing failure, (cracked at mounting bolt hole to flywheel), I'm not so trusting in their quality or possible parts sourcing.

Still keeping an eye out for a quality twin that has an OEM type engagement feel verses the on/off switch of a high pedal engagement.

Who makes the GT350 Twin? Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Dave
302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Southeast
VooDooBOSS said:
I do not know who make the new 350 clutch but it was designed by Ford. While I was not happy to see the McLeod fail on Black Boss's car I'm not worried about it. Everything fails eventually and he drives his car hard and tracks it more often than most of us. The reason why I ask is the high RPM lock out is the clutch and nothing else is going to fix it.

I watched the video you posted of the GT350 development and they showed the dual clutch and flywheel. That is one special dual clutch/flywheel assembly, did you note the cogs on the clutch discs? They where wild!

Dave

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel