The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Biggsy’s Track Build Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SF Bay Area
If you are a USAA member you might want to check out the Goodyear Eagle Supercar F1 3 or the even stickier 3R, as they give members a huge discount. Even if not a member that is another great choice as Kumho has been known over the decades to often run short on supply. They will wear faster than the Continental Extreme Force but they should not rub at a 305/30/19 size.

Sorry to hear the monoballs messed up your clearance as there are quite a few solid 315 choices along with the Conti Force.
Thanks! I was going to go with the Supercar F1 3, but they’ve been back-ordered in 305/30-19, and I’ve got a Sonoma track day coming up on 4/22 so I wound up pulling the trigger on the Kumhos. I’m definitely interested in the Supercar 3 for the next time I need tires…

The 3R sounds like a killer tire, but I don’t need that level of grip at this point, as I’m just trying to get better behind the wheel and can do that just as well at slower speeds/lower grip levels.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
No issue with the 3Rs though, as I just got a set a couple of weeks back. If you are a USAA member you order through them and they discount the tires, send them to a Goodyear Tire Dealer in your area and you just go in when they arrive, mounting , balancing , taxes and disposal all taken care of.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Canada
No issue with the 3Rs though, as I just got a set a couple of weeks back. If you are a USAA member you order through them and they discount the tires, send them to a Goodyear Tire Dealer in your area and you just go in when they arrive, mounting , balancing , taxes and disposal all taken care of.
I also got the 3R's a few weeks back and went 305 all round. They don't like to be in the cold but when the heated up they worked out fine. I bet they will be even better in the summer.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Happy New Year Everyone! I figured I should update the progress. This might be all over the place as I play catch up.

Last year was the most track time I was able to do within a season and this year I plan to do a lot more. I didn't do much over the summer. I finally was able to dial in the Xineering module with the proper settings so now that is one less thing to worry about. I have gone down the path of this becoming more track than street car which has always been the plan in the back of my head.

I didn't plan on going with a roll bar+seat+harness system just yet because I wanted to use those funds for track time. I ended up getting a local deal for a Chromoly Watson roll bar that I couldn't pass up. I plan to run TT with NASA either this year or next so I have been careful about adding weight to the car which is why I went with the Chromoly bar. Ended up getting PCI fixed mount, Sparco seat and harness. Man does the PCI mount really sit you low. Thanks to @Ewheels and @JeffV8 for helping with install pictures and tips. The good news about the roll bar install was that I didn't knick any brake lines but the bad news is the drill bit walked on me so ended up having Revolution Automotive in Baltimore finish it.

IMG_4104.JPG

I attended my first open track day at NJMP Lightning with Hooked On Driving. I see why people prefer open day to sessions. A lot of seat time and it allows the driver to use it as a true test day. For me, it was my first time with the seat and bar set up so I was adjusting to what was comfortable throughout the day. Also this was my first time towing my car to the track so now that I have the Tundra ready, I can expand my track venues. Fastest time of the day was 1:19. I was struggling with tire pressures and didn't really start feeling confident until the last hour of the day.

IMG_4105 2.JPG
IMG_4151.JPG

Been wanting to do Road Atlanta for a few years and was finally able to make it happen with MVP Track Time. Man oh man what a track. It was intimidating at first but after a few sessions I was able to get more comfortable and really push the car. Im a solid intermediate driver but there is always that fear of possibly pushing the car too much and then end up going off. I think this event is where I really started seeing what the car can do and got more comfortable with applying throttle earlier and harder. Road Atlanta is now on my calendar every year and maybe twice this year. The weekend was going great until the last session of the weekend. I got misfires in the second to last session and attributed that to low fuel. I went to get gas and everything was fine. I restarted my car to drive to grid for the last session and it was as though the car's power was cut. Ive never had that happen before. Then all sorts of codes were thrown and car wouldn't start. I was able to go out for one or two laps before checkered flag and the car ran fine. Will look more into into before spring.

I did the stupid thing when loading my car on the trailer, I burned my throwout bearing. After the 15 hour drive home, it was a nice surprise to find out I couldn't release the clutch from the engine. That ended my season as I was trying to make VIR later that month. Will fix that later this month.

Here is best lap of 1:43 from the weekend. I was in traffic most/all of the weekend. After looking at data, I know I can get into the 1:40s.

IMG_4265.jpg

After every event, I fall in love with the car even more.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
So on to the winter changes...

With the new seat, I noticed that my elbow kept hitting the center console and would put my right shoulder in an awkward position. To fight the ergonomic challenges, I swapped out the standard handle MGW for a low profile one to reduce the throw. That way when I go into 4th, my elbow doesn't go far back behind my shoulder. The next thing I did to reduce elbow interference was to replace my CF steering wheel with the FP Sparco wheel. This should reduce the steering input needed for turning. I went with the MMR aluminum hub which is a solid piece of work and Krontec Quick Release. As we all know the challenge with this is relocating the steering wheel buttons and all the effort associated with that. I wanted to be able to access the buttons while being strapped in. Its documented in another thread that its 5 buttons but 4 wires (voltage divider network) so its not as simple as replacing it with a digital joystick. I ended up taking the switch apart and it is a PCB so if I were to have access to the schematic, I could replicate the switch but use a joy stick to be mounted on the center console. But again, that was a distant thought. I liked the idea of mounting to the side of the steering column. I cut the hole, then found black craft paper with adhesive backing from Michael's to match the steering column. Came out very clean. Wanted to retain the horn so I added a momentary switch for that. Now I can get in and out easier with the seat in.
IMG_4574.JPG
IMG_4510.JPG
IMG_4565.JPG

IMG_4537.JPG

Swapped out OEM PP rear toe links for Cortex offering.
IMG_4583.JPG
IMG_4584.JPG

I changed the front tow hook to the GT350 tow hook. The previous one looked like my car was sticking its tongue out so this looks much better to me.
IMG_4591 2.JPG

IMG_4589.JPG

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Raleigh, NC
Happy New Year Everyone! I figured I should update the progress. This might be all over the place as I play catch up.

Last year was the most track time I was able to do within a season and this year I plan to do a lot more. I didn't do much over the summer. I finally was able to dial in the Xineering module with the proper settings so now that is one less thing to worry about. I have gone down the path of this becoming more track than street car which has always been the plan in the back of my head.

I didn't plan on going with a roll bar+seat+harness system just yet because I wanted to use those funds for track time. I ended up getting a local deal for a Chromoly Watson roll bar that I couldn't pass up. I plan to run TT with NASA either this year or next so I have been careful about adding weight to the car which is why I went with the Chromoly bar. Ended up getting PCI fixed mount, Sparco seat and harness. Man does the PCI mount really sit you low. Thanks to @Ewheels and @JeffV8 for helping with install pictures and tips. The good news about the roll bar install was that I didn't knick any brake lines but the bad news is the drill bit walked on me so ended up having Revolution Automotive in Baltimore finish it.

View attachment 92332

I attended my first open track day at NJMP Lightning with Hooked On Driving. I see why people prefer open day to sessions. A lot of seat time and it allows the driver to use it as a true test day. For me, it was my first time with the seat and bar set up so I was adjusting to what was comfortable throughout the day. Also this was my first time towing my car to the track so now that I have the Tundra ready, I can expand my track venues. Fastest time of the day was 1:19. I was struggling with tire pressures and didn't really start feeling confident until the last hour of the day.

View attachment 92330
View attachment 92329

Been wanting to do Road Atlanta for a few years and was finally able to make it happen with MVP Track Time. Man oh man what a track. It was intimidating at first but after a few sessions I was able to get more comfortable and really push the car. Im a solid intermediate driver but there is always that fear of possibly pushing the car too much and then end up going off. I think this event is where I really started seeing what the car can do and got more comfortable with applying throttle earlier and harder. Road Atlanta is now on my calendar every year and maybe twice this year. The weekend was going great until the last session of the weekend. I got misfires in the second to last session and attributed that to low fuel. I went to get gas and everything was fine. I restarted my car to drive to grid for the last session and it was as though the car's power was cut. Ive never had that happen before. Then all sorts of codes were thrown and car wouldn't start. I was able to go out for one or two laps before checkered flag and the car ran fine. Will look more into into before spring.

I did the stupid thing when loading my car on the trailer, I burned my throwout bearing. After the 15 hour drive home, it was a nice surprise to find out I couldn't release the clutch from the engine. That ended my season as I was trying to make VIR later that month. Will fix that later this month.

Here is best lap of 1:43 from the weekend. I was in traffic most/all of the weekend. After looking at data, I know I can get into the 1:40s.

View attachment 92328

After every event, I fall in love with the car even more.
Hey Bigsy, we’ll be there in March with Chin. Come on down!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Now as far as 2024 plans:
-Replace throwout bearing
-install MMR pulse ring
-Install 3.55 Torsen rear end I picked up last year
-18" wheels
-coilovers and aero
-passenger seat equipment
-Mach 1 knuckle upgrade

Hoping to start my Time Trials career this year with SCCA and NASA.
Pitt Race, Watkins, VIR(x3), Road Atlanta(x2), NJMP Thunderbolt are all on the list this year for sure.

I hope to meet more of you at track events. Here is to a safe and fun 2024!🙌

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Hey Bigsy, we’ll be there in March with Chin. Come on down!
I was actually looking at that event a couple weeks ago. Don't think I will be able to make it because I plan on doing the Summit Point event with SCCA first weekend in March. I plan to run with Chin for one of their Road Atlanta events. That May and October date is promising. Will definitely be there in November

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Not much to update right now. Haven’t driven the car since November. Will try and get Throwout bearing, MMR pulse ring and pilot bearing all replaced by the end of the month.
Changed my front tow hook set up thanks to Kevin. Hopefully it will add some Honeybadger speed.
IMG_4951.jpeg
Car needed to go on a diet so I put in the popular AG battery along with the battery mount made by @2Morrow ! Top quality and everything fit perfectly. I was running an odyssey battery which was heavier than stock. About 34 pounds lost
IMG_4716.jpegIMG_4720.jpegIMG_4655.jpegIMG_4648.jpeg
And the moment I’ve been waiting for. I treated myself to a late Christmas present. I’m looking forward to the learning curve. I will get some camber slugs made so no issues with the strut bolt slipping. I’ve had a bad experience with that before).

IMG_4958.jpeg

Won’t make the Summit Point event with SCCA like I planned so it’s looking like NJMP in March with NASA will be my first event

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel