The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Flat Bottom Racing Wheel Project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLGator

2013 Boss 302 LS #196 - Shadow
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Florida
Interested. Awaiting more info. The buttons in this pic do not look like those on my 13 LS.

cholmes1

400lb Gorilla
Denver, CO
Interested. Awaiting more info. The buttons in this pic do not look like those on my 13 LS.

FINAL UPDATE: For those of you who have been following this thread, the flat-bottom wheel project was undertaken by Redline Goods (http://www.redlinegoods.com/Mustang1014fbwheel.php). While the quality of the work was outstanding (very OEM in terms of build quality) the limited number of donor wheels available at their location meant that the 1st edition I was sent was not up to my, admittedly, very high aesthetic standards. The wheel photographed on their page linked above is exactly what I was sent. Because my car only has 2500 miles, I chose not to accept the wheel due to the donor wheel imperfections that were present.

When ordering, I chose to have the wheel covered in genuine Alcantara, similar to the OEM wheel, in their Charcoal color. While the color in person is far darker than what we have in the cars currently and what appears on the website, it does compliment the interior well and would tie in better with the black Recaro seats than the current wheel in my opinion. The quality of the Alcantara material and stitching was outstanding.

While I am somewhat disappointed the project did not work out for me as intended, it did create a new product for Mustang enthusiasts from a company that stands behind their product. The team at Redline has been great to work with (Mike and Jack) and I would recommend reaching out to them if this is a product you are considering. If you would like more details on my experience, the wheel itself, or general questions please PM me, I am happy to help everyone in the community.

cholmes1

400lb Gorilla
Denver, CO
I believe it would be very fast at this point as you would likely get the one I returned. If you are looking for a different color leather/Alcantara wrapping or a different blank wheel then it can be 6 weeks. My 1st edition took over three months for creation time.

* Just noticed that you said 'done and returned.' They are located in Poland so I would guess your wait time for sending a wheel, having it converted, and then returned would be at least 12 weeks. That is speculation and I am certain they can provide further comment, but shipping is your biggest factor. Because they are listed as a 'leather shop' mine was listed as 'temporarily delayed' at U.S. customs before it was let through *

Last edited:
Yeah, I lived without airbags for the first 1/2 of my life and just as I thought about changing the wheel, I received a notice from Ford the bag might be bad. Duh,no brainer. I didn't want to be a total heathen and not have cruise control though. Next is decreasing the amount of power steering assist. Does anyone have any suggestions?

cholmes1

400lb Gorilla
Denver, CO
I am not certain how viable the suggestion is, but you may want to look at the steering rack used in the 302R. It would certainly be a higher ratio and likely has very little in regards to electric assists.

While electric P/S sounds attractive, isn't the Boss 302 version controlled by a computer? I was thinking about something a little more crude like inserting an orifice in the line to the rack to limit pressure.

TMO Supporting Vendors