The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Floods, Fires, Fear of Covid!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ct has now gone back to Phase 2 covid restrictions...phase 3 started last week, but must have given the wrong message to some folks..especially college kids.Over 60% of the state is in the red zone now...Halloween parties didn't help.The Governor is advising a 10PM curfew til further notice. We'll see how that works on the weekends with the party people??...The second wave has begun because people were tired of dealing with the first wave..............................I keep my mask with my car keys...................

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
we are being asked to simply care about our fellow Americans by wearing a mask and staying a safe distance away from each other.

Bill, we're being ordered to comply, not asked. There's a significant difference. It's entirely possible to oppose diktats by wannabe tyrants while still supporting the idea that we should voluntarily wear masks to help out the community. This is why people won't talk to each other about it. There's no room for nuance anymore. If these petty bureaucrats hadn't flexed their might by making unconstitutional decrees, then this would be a non-issue. I'd be willing to bet more people would wear masks if they hadn't been ordered to do so.

See my previous post about the Japanese. They were asked, not ordered. There's no punishment or fines for not doing it. Nobody is going to yell or scream at them. Nobody is going to shut down their business if they don't obey. There's no curfews. It's part of the culture but they do it voluntarily. Now that Americans have been ordered to wear them or suffer the consequences, you can pretty much guarantee that cultural shift will never happen.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Mr. Pemberton started this post with a concern for all of us dealing with various maladies that have entered our lives in these trying tymes. I, for one, refuse to live in fear because that's not living at all. I respect the wishes of all those around me and wearing a mask in public is a no brainer whether it's effective or not. Rolling the dice with your life is not worth the gamble and complying with the COVID mandates certainly does no harm to me. And no-one should confuse this with fear. I have to say that I have the upmost respect for all that have served our country in war because in my mind, these folks have still dealt with far greater maladies that what I see before me now.

Take care of yourself. Take care of your family. Take care of your friends. Take care of us.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
In case anyone is curious about some differences, here in Japan they never locked down like we think of a lock down. The government doesn't have the authority to order anything like that. They asked their citizens to take precautions, like wearing masks, and so far they have. They made an emergency declaration so that the government could help fund/distribute masks, sanitizer, and other medical supplies to local prefectures. For a while everyone who tested positive was to go to a hospital, but they were overwhelming the hospitals with people who barely showed symptoms and so now they just stay home until they're good to go. Shortly after people started voluntarily sheltering, the government ran a campaign (Breaking down Japan’s Go To Travel campaign) encouraging everyone to get out and travel all over the country on one of their holiday weekends here because local economies were tanking. They even subsidized travel discounts. Ever since then, with the exception of some of the health recommendations being voluntarily implemented, it's pretty much been close to normal here. Definitely not as crowded as usual, but people who are high risk (or think they are) are staying home and everyone else is back to work. Most international travel is still halted (unless you're Japanese or US military on business/official travel). The US personnel here have more restrictions than the Japanese, mainly just to keep up relations.

Mask wearing is extremely common here in Japan, even before COVID, but it is all voluntary (yes, even during COVID). During the flu and allergy seasons up to a fifth of the people I'd see traveling wore masks while in public. Not a statement in support of or against mask wearing, just pointing out cultural differences. I'm also fairly sure that Japan's ridiculously healthy diet and general lack of comorbidities is a very strong deterrent to high infection rates as well because this place is still extremely crowded compared to anywhere else I've been.

Funny story, a couple months ago there was a run on iodine here. A Japanese study came out that suggested that swishing iodine in the mouth reduced the presence of COVID in the saliva, so everyone ran out and bought all the iodine I guess. Haven't heard about that since.

They also ran out of instant noodles for a brief period in some stores at the onset of all this.

Cultural differences are a funny thing.

Was all set up to visit family in Japan just as COVID came along and through a wrench in every ones plans. My Mother in law (the nice kind!), is 93 and still takes the Bus and Metro as if its a normal world. As you said, ridiculously healthy diet and almost no overweight people helps a lot (Sumo guys not included). The Culture in many Asian countries, tends to put community ahead of individual needs. Comes in handy in Pandemics!

Here in Chile, major disasters are a great opportunity for looters... In Japan, they come together to help each other out and looting is extremely rare..... Two worlds that are miles apart.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
People in Japan think of others first. Huge cultural differences compared to us. They wear masks there (before covid post SARS) by choice when sick, because it’s the polite thing to do (not spread one’s germs). Huge cultural differences.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
People in Japan think of others first. Huge cultural differences compared to us. They wear masks there (before covid post SARS) by choice when sick, because it’s the polite thing to do (not spread one’s germs). Huge cultural differences.

Geography probably has something to do with it. When you are forced to stand chest to chest with another person on the train, or it's so crowded you can reach out your window and touch your neighbor's house, you don't have much choice but to consider others. There are downsides...they have the highest suicide rate of any developed nation because of the culture of conformity (or they did last time I looked it up). I, for one, look forward to a wide open mountainous horizon sometime soon versus another city skyline.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Bill

The big difference and larger shame is this. In the past during most conflicts/crisis we choose to focus on the destruction/removal of the common enemy/issue. We would deal with the situation facing all of us as a whole. We save blame for after the crisis has been defeated. Covid for sure and the end of Vietnam.....not so much.

Today, we seem to be forced into and accepting of an “Us or them Attitude” Internal to the country. “Never let a crisis go unused”. Sad really.

One thing you learn in the Military is that you have to depend on your leadership. They will get you through the tough mission when and if possible. But not always, they’re will be losses. But to get through the tough times, you train like you fight, trust up and down the chain and share the burden. With this Virus we have some who defend the cause while criticizing those saddled with leading us through the crisis. That will ensure failure or at least higher losses.

We do we need to do? Take precautions, KNOWING the difference between100% assurance and likelihood of infection, deal with it and move on. If you get this virus, know it ain’t because a decision made by a politician (At least not one of our politicians). The first person who has a strong effect on your future is you. Act responsibly and be responsible for YOUR actions. We can all choose to hunker down, pull amazon packages off the front porch hours after delivery...Don't want those pesky germs now do we?? We can volunteer to assist those with the virus and take zero precautions. Most likely we will choose something in between. Some will get the virus and a very small number will be lost TO THE VIRUS!!!!

Like ChrisM pointed out, Japan has an open and very responsible society. It works for them because they want it to work for them. They don't look to their politicians for the "Great Solutions". Why have we done so?? The 24/7/365 news cycle has a lot to do with it. After all, who rushes to the TV or internet when they catch a rumor of a pleasant event?? Depend upon yourself, your friends (The Old Definition), seek knowledge and make your decisions for you knowing you are also part of a larger Whole. It works in Japan. It can work here.....once we get past the divide and conquer mentality.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Japan is an interesting culture. Culture being singular. I lived there for three years, Great people. Their prejudice is universal but polite. You are very welcomed when visiting. There is no "Melting Pot Culture" there. They are also void of social divisions we see every day in the US. At times I envy their solidarity, other times, not so much.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel