The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Floods, Fires, Fear of Covid!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Choice and self determination. Two things missing from most covid discussions. Likely, the most disturbing facts of this last year.
It’s not missing from discussions. That’s the issue with college kids and teens. They think they’re equipped to decide. And that’s a disturbing fact.

In the V6L
It occurred to me to look up the Pfizer trial and see who it was accepting as trial subjects. It's open to:

Ages Eligible for Study: 12 Years and older (Child, Adult, Older Adult)
Sexes Eligible for Study: All
Accepts Healthy Volunteers: Yes

The early phases of the study - the "does it work at all" and "does it work in a bigger group and does it seem safe" phases 1 and 2 - were restricted to healthy people with no comorbidities and a narrowed eligibility, but phase 3, the one with 43,000 people, is essentially wide open. I've seen questions in the media about efficacy in risky groups - obese, diabetics, etc - and the data should be available once the trial is complete. Thing is, the way they run these things, if there was a problem with the vaccine causing problems in these groups, it would have been stopped by now, so that doesn't seem to be an issue. The only significant outstanding question is whether it protects the risky groups effectively.

EDIT: The trial primary completion date is June 2021 and the final completion is December 2022. It's a long ways from done.

Last edited:

GB899

NO REGRETS
Nebraska
ok... I read the entire 17 pages... yikes...
so back to the original topic...
I am fine thanks for asking Bill...

and to add to some subtopics...
and yes past cars would be an impressive topic...
1967 Pontiac Firebird Convertible with a big block
bought for my 17th birthday
1972 Buick Skylark Custom Convertible 350 posi
took my drivers license test in it... was mom's car
1972 DeTomaso Pantera... blame this one on Bob Woodhouse
1990 Ford Mustang GT tweaked to 14 sec flat 1/4 mile.. my first new car
1965 GMC Pickup... straight 6. 3 on the tree. radio delete..
was grandpa's, inherited
2004 Ford F150 FX4 5.4L 4x4
2013 Ford Boss 302... still bone stock
2018 Ford Explorer Sport Bi-Turbo V6 365 hp...
the Explorer is the first daily driver
I purchased that hasn't been a V8 rear wheel drive

and yes I wear a mask...
I have survived cancer 3 times now...
missing important parts of my colon, rectum, lungs and scalp...
radiation once, chemo twice, blood clots, pancreatitis & died once too...
not an easy task... so I don't want to die from a cold...
cousin just got transferred to rehab from a 3 1/2 week induced coma because of COVID... still having major issues... so not a joke... it kills... just hoping not me or anyone i care about... including people here... good luck with whatever life you choose...

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
EDIT: The trial primary completion date is June 2021 and the final completion is December 2022. It's a long ways from done.
That sure seems like a long time to wait. Risk management is likely the delay. All models previously used dealt with reducing risk of introducing a product. Has the risk analysis been done for NOT releasing a product? Anyone seen anything on this perspective?

In the V6L
That sure seems like a long time to wait. Risk management is likely the delay. All models previously used dealt with reducing risk of introducing a product. Has the risk analysis been done for NOT releasing a product? Anyone seen anything on this perspective?
They expect "emergency use" authorization to start delivering vaccine later this year, so the risk equation is exactly as you characterize it. It's being released on the basis that not releasing is worse than whatever might happen if the data is incomplete until June next year.

Ct's covid testing positivity rate reached almost 7% yesterday....age group most responsible 20-29...back in the spring when rates were below 2% it was the 50-59 folks ...those young ones still think they're immune..they are in for a rude awakening.........................I don't wish nothing bad on anybody...but just use common sense when you are out there!!!

Grant 302

For people who think masks don’t work, how is it that we protect the vulnerable?

People in their teens and twenties make bad and immature decisions. I speak from lots and lots of experience there.

Steep fines would do the trick.

Grant 302

NBC said:
New findings published this month further reveal how severely Covid-19 can affect young adults. A research paper published in JAMA Internal Medicine found that among more than 3,200 adults ages 18 to 34 who were hospitalized with the disease, 21 percent required intensive care, 10 percent required mechanical ventilation and nearly 3 percent — 88 patients — died. Of those who survived, 3 percent — 99 patients — had to be discharged to another health care facility to continue their recoveries.

These stats don’t look so rosy either.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
The key word being hospitalized, the next sample size. These were the cases hospitalized during a period. Without the number of total cases, the numbers can be shocking while having less value than if complete. How many were counted twice, I was.
Yes, the disease sucks, it kills, it has so many unknowns. Keep wearing a mask, I still do. But go on with your lives. Why do I continue to wear a mask? I am told I am immune for at least 90 days. In my position, I must set the example. Would you give me a stiff fine??
We lost 38,000 to automobile crashes last year. Many died because they did not wear their belts. Still, most jurisdictions Will Not stop let alone fine you if you are seen driving without one. I ALWAYS use a belt.
The sky is not falling. Most, even in the high risk categories survive. Lingering effects? Like the small pox scars I have from that vaccination?
I have read through the CDC site also. Read carefully for what is there and what is not there. I could not find data and 19-25 year olds typical,age for college students. There is data for19-34. Conspiracy? Don’t think so. Just incomplete data. If you are 19-24 are you more likely to meet your end from covid than a motor vehicle accident? We don’t know for sure, age 15-34 it looks like the motor vehicle. So, how do you tell a group to change their lives for one possibility which is less threatening to them when we won’t even bother to pull them over for a seat belt violation? Do we have the right too?

In the V6L
These stats don’t look so rosy either.
Every time the media uses the term "recovered" I cringe. All it means is that the patient hasn't got the virus any more, it doesn't mean they're healthy.

Because the virus is so new, we really don't know what the long-term effects will be. That it'll be considered a "pre-existing condition" is likely, but whether the incidence of other long-term health conditions goes up, it's just too early.

In the V6L
...Read carefully for what is there and what is not there. I could not find data and 19-25 year olds typical,age for college students. There is data for19-34. Conspiracy? Don’t think so. Just incomplete data. If you are 19-24 are you more likely to meet your end from covid than a motor vehicle accident? We don’t know for sure, age 15-34 it looks like the motor vehicle...
You've hit on an important point. When the virus first emerged, back in January and February, it was characterized as an upper respiratory virus that could occasionally lead to severe symptoms and death. Research was tightly focused on the sickest cases, generally older adults, with a goal to keep people alive. Makes sense. Very little research looked at people who had mild symptoms, and it came as a huge surprise when asymptomatic cases were found to be a real thing. Even today, research into mild and asymptomatic cases is very thin on the ground, and research into children and juveniles is even thinner on the ground. As I said in an earlier post, beware of the words "there's no evidence that..." because, too often, those words mean "there's no research, so we're guessing".

Grant 302

Every time the media uses the term "recovered" I cringe. All it means is that the patient hasn't got the virus any more, it doesn't mean they're healthy.

Because the virus is so new, we really don't know what the long-term effects will be. That it'll be considered a "pre-existing condition" is likely, but whether the incidence of other long-term health conditions goes up, it's just too early.
We don’t know what we don’t know. And people who think they have the clear and obvious solution don’t either.

Like I didn’t understand at the beginning that mask wearing could be so demonized for various reasons. I had to see for myself that people don’t like being told what to do. Stupid me.

TMO Supporting Vendors