The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Floods, Fires, Fear of Covid!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
What we are finding out is that temps have a effect. Warmer temps tend to “Melt” the virus. Cooler temps, as predicted would cause a spike.
Some may also notice that choice is more important to some than big government.
Wearing a mask, yep, sure helps....not a cure or even a guarantee of anything beyond wearing a mask.
Folks who can and do make a living looking at a flat screen and pushing buttons appear to have zero concern for those who still need to go to work. Shame.
I guess we can all just stay home and take out a loan to get by. Lol

Happy B-day @Fabman - enjoy some drinks for me.

I think everyone has made up their mind about how they feel about Covid - how they're living their life, how they're reacting to the data being presented, how they're reacting to people who they disagree with on it all.

I can tell you that we continue to be cautious, mainly because we have family members who are considered high risk if they get infected. We don't want to be the a-holes who spread it to them. It's not fear - at least not fear for my own health. It's a sense of responsibility for my kids and the people I care about. We know people who have gotten it and had some bad issues. We know of people that have died. We know it's been politicized and weaponized in one way or another by everyone on all sides.

No need to argue about it here in the forum. Share information, let us know how you and your loved ones are coping and know that in here, we try and support each other as best we can - even if we have a different perspective about it. Let people take shots at each other over on Facepalm (Facebook).

@JAJ thanks for sharing what you found in your research. I have come to the conclusion that all news outlets out there are forms of entertainment or are in business to push ideology, maybe both. All of them have some type of slant, they're all mostly echo chambers. Take EVERYTHING with a grain of salt, and know that the truth usually lies somewhere in the middle, there is less reason to be outraged. Trouble is, it's becoming more and more difficult to have conversations with people who don't want to discuss all the same propaganda and rhetoric that you see all over social media. I'd rather just talk cars.
I just started reading through this thread and see this as one or the most responsible and common sense statements so far.

"I can tell you that we continue to be cautious, mainly because we have family members who are considered high risk if they get infected. We don't want to be the a-holes who spread it to them. It's not fear - at least not fear for my own health. It's a sense of responsibility for my kids and the people I care about. We know people who have gotten it and had some bad issues. We know of people that have died. We know it's been politicized and weaponized in one way or another by everyone on all sides."

I'm not that worried about me and my wife. It's the older family members and friends that I try to protect with my actions of trying to prevent. I need the help of other around me though. No mask is going to protect me 100% from other that may be positive, even the N95's that I wear while at work. A fit test is fine and dandy but that 's a controlled circumstance. There are always other variables that can, will and do happen the decrease the efficacy of a mask. ie. facial hair growth in an 8 hr shift... I wear a mask to help protect others and expect ( well not really - I really expect nothing from others and know there is an absolute lack off common sense in society with many being self centered, irresponsible, lacking manners and limited to no respect for others- not even COVID-19 related -) them to reciprocate.

Please note I hate masks and precautions as much as the next person.

Masks as simple as it gets - a mask is more partial physical barrier from me to you and could help protect me to and extent. It's no different than a person covering their mouth when coughing or sneezing. It's just in place. As for areas like fuel stations that have extensive distance between people. The mask is better to wear than not. It helps prevent trans mission to the fuel pump and handle potentially protecting the next person. I've been in the medical field over 25 years. Take the name COVID-19 out of the picture. A virus is a virus... It's also cold a flu season. Why not where a mask occasionally? It does not hurt anyone. It may also help with other viruses. I'm not saying live in a bubble and mask 24/7. That's crazy. I try to use reasonable judgement. I hardly ever get sick even without this goofy virus - awareness of my surroundings and hand washing is simple stuff. No, I never had a mask or carried disinfectant wipes in my vehicle in the past. Just a regular person that is not afraid or scared but aware that microscopic not so fun bugs are around all of the time. Just my 2 cents.

That's it for me. I need to research alignment settings.

Last edited:
I hand wash about 50 times per day, keep the Covid Juice (hand sanitizer) handy all the time, in my truck, in my car, in my pocket and use it.. a lot. I wear a mask where required by the business or property owner, I social distance. I refuse to wear a mask in my vehicle, on my tractor, or outside with no one within 20 yards of me. I get sinus infections.. a lot ..mostly apparently from wearing a mask because I get one every time I come home from a race. Does THAT make it easier to get Covid? is that a gateway for the virus? It would seem logical that it might. With regards to a "mask" there are a million types, the ones with the vents have been banned from aircraft because they release the person's germs into the air. Gaiters are about useless IMO, they meet the criteria "face covering" but are about as effective as a sieve, but they are allowed in aircraft. So you have a bunch of people running around with "face coverings" that in reality do very little. Their main effectiveness, it would seem, is that they keep the wearer from touching their face or nose and spreading the virus that way. I'm not anti mask, if you ask me to wear one I will in your home or business, but I do question their actual effectiveness in real life.

Last edited:

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I agree with a lot of your gripes with the lack of consistency in the regulations.

Like if I had to be on a plane, I wouldn’t want most of the BS coverings out there and would prefer even valved N95 on everybody. But the CDC suggests to reserve, without clarification, all N95 for healthcare workers. That’s just dumb, IMO. Far fewer people would be sick in the US if we got more of those to people who would wear them.

In order to be 100% compliant everywhere, I ‘have to’ wear a second mask or disable/cover the valve. I get why they’ve done it, but damn...overthinking the problem when anyone can essentially self certify that they can’t wear *any* covering due to respiratory issues.

Rant aside, I suggest you try an N95 with a valve, covered by a cloth one for compliance if you have to fly out here again. Both for your relative breathing comfort and safety while in a plane. That setup should help you breathe less of your ‘own funk’ as you’ve said while staying safe, legal and compliant.

I kid about this being ‘a mask for your mask’ protocol, but it works.

Covid has stolen a lot away from us since March..and now Thanksgiving is in it's cross hairs.....cancel travel plans...avoid a big get together...just enjoy your dinner with household members only.....I'm sure Christmas celebration guidelines will be the same..................and now TP and paper towels are being sold out again!!!!!!...get real, buy what you need not for the next 6 months.................

Last edited:

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
TP and cleaning supplies are a local thing. The Walmart near my work has a new TP problem. Anticipation was that another run on poop paper would appear, nope. Now they have supplies in the aisle.

Last edited:
sfo
Covid has stolen a lot away from us since March..and now Thanksgiving is in it's cross hairs.....cancel travel plans...avoid a big get together...just enjoy your dinner with household members only.....I'm sure Christmas celebration guidelines will be the same..................and now TP and paper towels are being sold out again!!!!!!...get real, buy what you need not for the next 6 months.................

I agree! I have raced 3 weekends since reopenning in California. I think risk for trackdays is nill! We get temp checks in paddock, stay 6ft away + masks, or are in car, no podium ceremony, no tech except scales, no evening group bbq. Safe safe safe IMO. I plan for more racing in '21. But skiing looks bad. Lifts are doing 1 guy per chair if not family so lines are going to be monster long. I'll begrudgingly skip 2021 ski season rolling my season pass to 2022 season. I hate doing that. Even the year I broke my knee skiing I did not miss any skii seasons. Well...I guess I'll try and get to florida this winter instead to flyfish. Live life...time is wasting...just be careful using best practices. I'm in healthcare and personally I do not see my risk any greater than everyday of the last 36years of my practice of catching something deadly. But I do have an advantage being trained in universal precautions with use of medical grade ppe.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
" universal precautions with use of medical grade ppe "

I've lately found medical grade pot to be pretty damn useful. And now that it's legal up here, readily available for non smokers in edible form too! I'm no pothead, 68 years old and took my first THC this year! Woohoo! Gives you a nice 12 hour break from reality and then you sleep like a log! Fun and games are where you find them these days.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
" universal precautions with use of medical grade ppe "

I've lately found medical grade pot to be pretty damn useful. And now that it's legal up here, readily available for non smokers in edible form too! I'm no pothead, 68 years old and took my first THC this year! Woohoo! Gives you a nice 12 hour break from reality and then you sleep like a log! Fun and games are where you find them these days.
Wish you people from the Great North would open the border and allow some visitors to stop by. We can only get "medicinal" mj oil with the THC removed. The companies that jumped in figuring they would make a bundle are losing their pants. The program has been expanded to cover more types of illness but its really expensive and a bureaucratic nightmare to get.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I've had In and Out before and to be honest, wasn't overly impressed. Certainly is wasn't worth camping out in front of the two new ones (the first here) they opened here in Colorado. I've never understood that mentality.

To Tracy and Bill - You got the wrong house!

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Wish you people from the Great North would open the border and allow some visitors to stop by. We can only get "medicinal" mj oil with the THC removed. The companies that jumped in figuring they would make a bundle are losing their pants. The program has been expanded to cover more types of illness but its really expensive and a bureaucratic nightmare to get.

You can order all this stuff online no problem-o. Don't know if they'd ship to the US of A though, prolly not.
There's even a fairly new business model with online sellers based in urban areas who deliver your chosen product right to your door within a few hours. Canadians learning how to be business sharks, who knew?
Great fun and it has served well to lighten the mood during these very dark days.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I've had In and Out before and to be honest, wasn't overly impressed. Certainly is wasn't worth camping out in front of the two new ones (the first here) they opened here in Colorado. I've never understood that mentality.

I remember you weren’t a fan. And I was sure you weren’t waiting in the 14-hour line reported. Regardless of covid making it an extra bad idea.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota

I thought I had caught the Covid back in Feb, turned out probably just a reaction to eating at In and Out in Casa Grande.
In Minnesota we had great hoopla and long lines when Sonic drive-in and Krispy Kreme came to town. Krispy is long gone, the original Sonic in St Paul was torn down just a few years after it opened.
On the Canadian side of things Tim Horton came to town about two years ago and folded in about 6 months, lawsuit involving bogus projections is all that is left.
Thank God my local donut shop is still going strong, always the first stop on the way to the track. 🤪

TMO Supporting Vendors