The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Flush out and changing to Castrol SRF/Remote brake reservoir on S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
When I added the second reservoir to my Boss, I bought an auto reservoir. I looked for the reservoir for a S550, can't find one. For this generation all I could find is the entire master cylinder. Does anyone have a part number for the reservoir alone?

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
I don't believe they sell it as a separate part #, I forked over the $90 to make it happen. Just not a system I wanted to cut corners with - you can probably find them on eBay used for half that.
I can confirm they do not, I just jumped on this bandwagon the other night, and while they sell things like the gasket/ring on its own, they won't give a part to just the reservoir.

Also what’s the GM part # for the clutch reservoir? Did I miss it?

GM Part Number for the reservoir is 92065790, working out to about $30 shipped. Some will show it as like $12, but 15 to ship and tax get it back up. Enjoy some order cancellations, I've had 3 now, despite people guaranteeing that they had it on hand.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Dallas, TX
For 2016 PP. Do I need to replace master cylinder to switch to auto car brake reservoir or can I just switch the reservoir itself. Can I get a brake reservoir from any auto car or does it need to be a PP car? Does this change cause any bleeding issues?

Thanks, I want to switch to auto brake reservoir and separate GM reservoir for clutch to be able to run castrol SRF without any clutch issues.

Thanks,

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Arizona
For 2016 PP. Do I need to replace master cylinder to switch to auto car brake reservoir or can I just switch the reservoir itself. Can I get a brake reservoir from any auto car or does it need to be a PP car? Does this change cause any bleeding issues?

Thanks, I want to switch to auto brake reservoir and separate GM reservoir for clutch to be able to run castrol SRF without any clutch issues.

Thanks,
If you can find an auto car reservoir, it will fit right on the stock master cylinder. Ford only sells the master cylinder and reservoir as an assembly so I bought one new for a 2017 auto GT (PP wasn't an option for auto cars). I installed the new auto reservoir on my stock master cylinder and it works fine.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
If you can find an auto car reservoir, it will fit right on the stock master cylinder. Ford only sells the master cylinder and reservoir as an assembly so I bought one new for a 2017 auto GT (PP wasn't an option for auto cars). I installed the new auto reservoir on my stock master cylinder and it works fine.
Actually, from my research, FR3Z-2140
-A is used in the PP2 and PP1's
-B is used in the PP1's (because PP2 is stick only)
-C is manual Base GT, Ecoboost, GT350, and V6
-D is auto Base Gt, Ecoboost, and V6.

1611559015648.png

That said, I went with the manual one because I thought the PP2 and PP1 could be different, and I was ordering off a friend's PP2 VIN, although I really doubt that they are, and at worst, could do a swap in the future if I get tired of my nipples leaking.
Oh man, that was bad. I should go to pun jail for that.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
You can't easily drain the lines. I use a dot 4 fluid, not high priced. I remove all the fluid from the reservoir using a $3.00 turkey baster from walmart. Add new fluid. Pump pedal MANY times. Repeat 2-4 times. The fluid I use for the clutch is ATE 200, $16.00 a liter. You can also put a vacuum on the reservoir to pull a bit more out each time.
You could disconnect the line at the bell housing but will still have the fluid in the lower line and the slave cylinder to deal with. I know I am done when the fluid in the reservoir is extremely clean, no black floaties.

TMO Supporting Vendors