The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

FMSI numbers for GT350 brake pads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In the V6L
FMSI is the Friction Materials Standards Institute and it acts as the repository for technical data related to brake pads for the industry. It assigns numbers "FMSI Dxxxx" to brake pad outlines to enable brake pad manufacturers to make parts that interchange and fit properly in specific calipers.

I was looking around to see if I could find a soft low-dust street pad for the GT350 through the winter, and came across the FMSI numbers for the front and rear calipers.

Front GT350/GT350R pad outline: FMSI D1853
Rear GT350/GT350R pad outline: FMSI D1854 (note: FMSI D1718, the C7 Corvette rear pad, also fits this caliper)

Where these become useful is when you're looking for brake pads to fit a specific purpose - for instance, if you Google "FMSI D1853", you'll get crosses to Hawk, EBC and Porterfield pad part numbers. It's a useful crosscheck on whether you're looking at parts that'll work or parts that'll almost work.

The other time they're really useful is, if you're doing what I was doing and looking for a low-dust ceramic pad to run through the winter, the FMSI numbers cross into most of the major aftermarket brake pad suppliers like Raybestos, Wagner, Power Stop and so on.

Last edited:
In the V6L
Update: I just edited the initial post to add the C7 Corvette rear pad to the list. I installed Raybestos EHT1718 ceramic pads in the rear of my GT350 yesterday, and I can confirm that the C7 Vette pad fits perfectly.

In honor of the falling temperatures, I pulled my Pagid RSL29's off all four corners yesterday and installed Racing Brake XT910 street pads in the front and the Raybestos EHT pads in the rear. As many of you know, I have CCB front brakes, and the CCB's don't dust regardless of which pad I use, so I wanted a friction-matched low dust rear pad. That's how Raybestos advertises their EHT's so that's what I'm trying out this winter.

Great info, thanks for posting.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel