The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Foam blocks between the Boss intake and engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Sound insulation to keep owners from complaining about mechanical noises from the mechanical engine in the race car for the street they just bought ::). Some folks (present company excepted) think cars have solid state hard drives making 444 HP. I run the Boss intake without them no objectionable noises when cruising and they have to be trapping heat under the intake which can't be good whe running hard. Removing them seems to need the intake take off as another forum member broke the foam pulling it out.
Steve

Thanks Steve, I would think that trapping heat under the manifold would be my main concern. Why have a CAI , that pushes the cold air down the inside of the runners that are being subject to trapped heat on the outside of them? I have revised my question to try and make it more clear.
Victor

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Does the foam insulation only keep the engine noise down??

What effect does the insulation have on keeping engine heat out of the intake and therefore the intake air?

Could removing the insulation make the engine noise more pronounced while also heating the intake air???

Just askin.

TMSBOSS said:
Does the foam insulation only keep the engine noise down??

What effect does the insulation have on keeping engine heat out of the intake and therefore the intake air?

Could removing the insulation make the engine noise more pronounced while also heating the intake air???

Just askin.

I don't see where you're going to get air flow in the valley of the motor. More likely the foam keeps the intake cool rather than hot.

I have been curious to this as well. My understanding the foam is just for the noise. However I am curious to know if removing them would have any affect on intake temps good or bad??? I do know the 302s and r do not have the foam. With the Tiger Racing hood I am assuming there would substantial airflow in that area........

I only split the rear piece taking them out, there are four all together (rear, front and two sides). I may have been able to remove it from the rear but did not want to disconnect the hoses there.

This in combo with the Grille and removal of the hood weather strip has reduced my temp 25 degrees on track under load. Also this is with the rear piece still in place, I just removed that and have not tracked yet. I am not saying the foam alone worked but has worked well in addition to the other mods.

I highly doubt the foam keeps anything cool but does trap heat. I have touched the inside of the valley and it gets hot very fast even at idle.

2012YellowBoss said:
I only split the rear piece taking them out, there are four all together (rear, front and two sides). I may have been able to remove it from the rear but did not want to disconnect the hoses there.

This in combo with the Grille and removal of the hood weather strip has reduced my temp 25 degrees on track under load. Also this is with the rear piece still in place, I just removed that and have not tracked yet. I am not saying the foam alone worked but has worked well in addition to the other mods.

I highly doubt the foam keeps anything cool but does trap heat. I have touched the inside of the valley and it gets hot very fast even at idle.

And? What stops the heat from rising up onto the intake manifold?

908ssp said:

Nothing, the foam is upfront and and behind the open area of the intake and on the outsides of the intake itself. There is no foam between the intake and the engine.

2012YellowBoss said:
908ssp said:

Nothing, the foam is upfront and and behind the open area of the intake and on the outsides of the intake itself. There is no foam between the intake and the engine.

Yes that won't help keeping the heat off the manifold. I saw a picture of the 5.0 foam and thought it filled the whole cavity up to the manifold. That sure isn't what you're describing.

I plan on insulating the bottom pan on my supercharge when I take it apart in a couple weeks. I am going to cover it with aluminum covered insulation and then gold reflective film.

Yep, it is basically encapsulating the intake. Personally I think the side pieces are just for ascetics, nothing more. If they were somehow needed I am sure the S would have them. I had thought that removing the foam would help a lot with cooling, the front and back pieces are 4 inches thick but since I did this with the grille mod at the same time I will never know. I did speak with someone at Ford Racing and he said it would help with cooling but only a couple of degrees, while I wish it was more then that he knows a hell of lot more about how these cars work then me.

In any case I will take take couple of degrees for a no cost simple to do mod.

908ssp said:
2012YellowBoss said:
908ssp said:

Yes that won't help keeping the heat off the manifold. I saw a picture of the 5.0 foam and thought it filled the whole cavity up to the manifold. That sure isn't what you're describing.

I plan on insulating the bottom pan on my supercharge when I take it apart in a couple weeks. I am going to cover it with aluminum covered insulation and then gold reflective film.

This is exactly what Scott is saying. The foam in front and in back of the manifold goes all the way from the top of the engine to the bottom of the manifold. Essentially blocking off the open area between the two. The thought is by removing the foam front and back the incoming air into the engine bay will now have free passage into that area expelling hot air with fresh cool air. Now sitting at idle with no airflow will still probably heat things up. Adding some sort of insulation like you are talking about is probably a good idea.

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
Ok ....so I'm resurrecting this thread from near death! I've only had my 13 Boss for a little over a year ( and 6 months of that was hibernation !! ) so I need to get caught up with you experts!!
I've removed the rat fur headliner under the hood and also the left and right foam covers. Next will be the foam bits under that ausome Boss intake. but the next bit gets controversial ....I want to pull the rear weatherstrip at the windshield. Now I know many will comment on that high pressure area and how smells can be sucked in etc. etc. but my thinking is , if you have a heavily vented hood ( tiger hood or whatever ) what's the difference? Air escaping out those big hood vents is going to get sucked into that high pressure area anyway. It's the same thing. I'm no engineer but could it be that removing the weatherstrip would actually reduce the high pressure area as well ?

Ok , let me have it !! o_O All comments are welcome.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Ok , let me have it !! o_O All comments are welcome.

Lol. Are you sure?

It's there for insulation of the intake charge from radiator/under hood heat.

"The foam pads limit the amount of engine heat that gets to the manifold by blocking the front and rear openings at the engine valley."

From this article:

Sorry for the dead link in the quote.

As for the rear bulb seal...leave it. If you don’t believe me, take it out and test it with yarn tufts in the top and bottom of the hood.

I don’t have hood vents, but did remove the outer 6” - 8” or so off the ends...after a bit of testing.

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
Lol. Are you sure?

Sorry for the dead link in the quote.

As for the rear bulb seal...leave it. If you don’t believe me, take it out and test it with yarn tufts in the top and bottom of the hood.

I don’t have hood vents, but did remove the outer 6” - 8” or so off the ends...after a bit of testing.

Hmmmm , 6” - 8” or so off the ends eh , so your a partial believer ... LOL 🙂

TMO Supporting Vendors