The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Foam underhood being eaten??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
I noticed this at my local cars and coffee. I posted it to the Boss Owners Group on FB and it seems that the consensus is rodents are chewing through it. What do you guys think?
1912006_10104858348951571_1263335193_n.jpg

If so, what do I do to combat them?

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
Yes, looks like rodents. Put a Tupperware container with lid with mothballs in the engine compartment. Slit the lid with openings large enough for the smell to escape but narrow enough so the rodents will not get in there and carry the offensive mothballs away.

Use genuine mothballs, NOT moth repellent.

100% effective.

Chunky peanut butter on a mouse trap instead of cheese works good, too. The mice left over at my parents were the smart ones and could get the cheese off. With peanut butter they have to work at it and unless the trap is junk, it will get them.

To my surprise, RiddeX wall plug in got rid of my rodent problem.
http://www.amazon.com/RIDDEX-SONIC-PLUS-REPELLERS-OUTLETS/dp/B003GC8S6M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394331065&sr=8-1&keywords=riddex

While the repellants might work perfectly, I would still rather kill them. You will be doing the neighbors a favor, and maybe keeping them from getting into the house.

I remember reading that some guys took theirs off for better cooling since all they cared about is tracking. Maybe they would sell them? Can't hurt to post a WTB. I would definitely make sure the rodents didn't munch on anything else, too.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
WinterSucks said:
While the repellants might work perfectly, I would still rather kill them. You will be doing the neighbors a favor, and maybe keeping them from getting into the house.

I remember reading that some guys took theirs off for better cooling since all they cared about is tracking. Maybe they would sell them? Can't hurt to post a WTB. I would definitely make sure the rodents didn't munch on anything else, too.

Meant to say that too. Especially check the wiring for any chew marks. You don't want a surprise failure with the sensor, injector or COP pigtails in the area.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
askjeffro said:
To my surprise, RiddeX wall plug in got rid of my rodent problem.
http://www.amazon.com/RIDDEX-SONIC-PLUS-REPELLERS-OUTLETS/dp/B003GC8S6M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394331065&sr=8-1&keywords=riddex
I ordered two sets

I live I Farm country. Got to have these.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
I definitely was looking through the engine bay to see if I could see any other evidence of a rodent. I didn't see any frayed wires or other damage to the car nor did I see anything in the engine bay. I drove the car a bunch today so I hope I don't get a smell.... :-\ But I looked up some household remedies and mint or peppermint came up a bunch. So my garage now smells like Christmas my wife says. I also put down a few traps and called my exterminator. but it's the weekend. I'm not terribly worried about killing them as we're moving from the house in 2 weeks but like one of you said, I'd be doing the neighbors a favor as well as the landlord and the future tenants.

From what I could gather about the evidence in the garage, probably only 1 animal and it's a recent occurrence as there was no damage last week to the car and the internet know-it-alls say I'd see more droppings if it was a major infestation.

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
Bummer,
What if any droppings did you see? If you are parking in the garage and they are in your engine bay. They are most likely elsewhere in the structure. A mouse can get through a hole the size of a dime or smaller. A rat the size of a nickel or smaller. If the droppings are a 1/4" or so you have a small rat. If the droppings are very small, mice. That's a lot of chewing for a mouse. I'm thinking a small rat.
Go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy some Velcro , large rat glue traps and a pack of some disposable nitrile gloves. Get some peanut butter and some plastic spoons and large food freezer bags.
Put on a pair of the gloves and rub some dirt on them. (you are hiding your smell) Open your hood. Place some Velcro strips on a flat surface the battery works good and or on the plastic they are eating. Open the rat glue traps and very carefully apply the other Velcro strips to the bottom of the glue trap have some one help. Super sticky. Mate the traps to the Velcro in the engine bay, apply a small amount of peanut butter dead center on the traps, like a teaspoon. Close hood and remove gloves. Traps, gloves , spoons , peanut butter, waste from baiting and any thing else used in trapping store in a sealed plastic freezer bag and keep in the house. This approach will get the mice first time as they are easy to get. Need to do it this way because if it is a rat they are super smart and hard to get. Might even want to put a little peanut butter on the chewed plastic for a day or two then add the traps. They also will drag the glue trap around and get desperate to escape and chew more stull so that's why you need to anchor the traps. Do not buy the mouse size even if it is mice. Might want to do one or two in the garage as well. When you get one make sure it is dead and put the glue trap with rodent on it in a freezer bag seal and put in the garbage out side with a bungee on the lid, use the gloves here to. Reload with new trap.
Your moving so that's good , as the next step is finding how they are getting in and stopping them. That is the hard part. My experience with exterminators , like so much else in life. If you want it done right do it your self.
I have battled these rodents for years and tried everything. The above works. Need to kill them not chase away

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
Grant 302 said:
I wouldn't put a glue trap anywhere on or in the car. I'm sure you could get them with traps located nearby.

You remove them when you use the car. We have been doing this in vehicles for years "if" we have a critter issue in the car. Just be careful. The damage is done and if it is a rat they can really do a lot of damage. So you bait at the activity spot if possible for best results. If you do not want them in the car then
set traps at all 4 walls in the garage. Good luck.

Man that bites! No pun intended. Your best friend for this job would definitely be a cat. We had one in our house a few months back and thanks to the cat it never had a chance.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Domestic Product said:
You remove them when you use the car. We have been doing this in vehicles for years "if" we have a critter issue in the car. Just be careful. The damage is done and if it is a rat they can really do a lot of damage. So you bait at the activity spot if possible for best results. If you do not want them in the car then
set traps at all 4 walls in the garage. Good luck.
8) I wasn't suggesting you meant to leave them in for driving around! :eek:

I've just seen the mess a BIG rat can make as it drags a glue trap or two around while it tries to chew its way free.

Sorry to contradict many but mint oil, bounce sheet, mothball, etc do not work. I had a motorhome for years (Heaven for mice, squirrel, etc) and tried all of these "Assured results". Trap and peanut butter is the solution.

Mothball works for propane gaz nozzle areas to prevent spiders to from nesting in tubes. That's about it.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
13deboss302 said:
Sorry to contradict many but mint oil, bounce sheet, mothball, etc do not work.

Guess I am the fortunate one. Started using mothballs in my yard gate controller 10 years ago after finding mice nesting and eating wires inside the box. No more mice since putting mothballs inside the controller.

Traps don't work for me-there are too many of them. I rely on hawks, owls, snakes and mothballs and Terminex to control the pests.

I have been using electronic pest repellents and mothballs in the garage and (knock on wood) don't have a rodent problem.

Also, my dog, an Australian Shepherd, is really good at catching and killing them.

XenagirlforBMO-2_zps3fec5c7a.jpg

Solutions effectiveness will generally vary based on geographic location. Different climates, different breed of mice, etc.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Four Walling --have your twin Australian Shepherd Tri Color Blue Merle with brown eyes right here in Nebraska. Beautiful dog and sorry for hijacking the thread, but on our second Aussie!

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
Thanks Bill (my name is Kerry)

Xena, a black tri, is our 4th Aussie. I do not have a pic of our first Aussie but here are Mosely and Shasta, our 2nd and 3rd Aussies.

These dogs require an enormous amount of exercise but we just love them.

Moselysized_zps39ad70e9.jpg

Shastasized_zps5208d349.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors