The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Focus RS, I'm sold

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

http://racing.ford.com/enthusiasts/newsroom/2015/video--watch-the-all-new-focus-rs-in-action-on-some-mountain-twi.html

Nuf said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDofgYyTxEg

Are you sold at $35K? $40K? $45K?

The price has not been announced, but there are those who think the new hardware will make the pricetag closer to $45K than $35K.

there is speculation on price but I'm in the camp of believing it'll be sub $40k.
Based on what I've seen so far, I'm 'sold' as well....I'm relatively price-insensitive in that 35-45 band if the car has the actual performance that it looks to have the potential for.

I captured my thoughts in the other thread:
https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=8852.msg133090#msg133090

But yes I want one; I'll see what it delivers before subscribing a price level. In general though ~320HP and AWD is not far off STi so unless there is magnitudes of performance difference I'd expect to pay pricing along STi lines. I believe RS badge carries much more weight in Europe that US, so we'll see what prestige factor Ford want's to put on it in the US.

coboss said:
Are you sold at $35K? $40K? $45K?

The price has not been announced, but there are those who think the new hardware will make the pricetag closer to $45K than $35K.

I will take a picture of me writing what I am typing and eat it if it comes to 45k. There is no way they would sell at that price, almost no way they would sell at 40k. You can get a fully loaded Focus ST for 28k and a Track Pack GT for about 40k so it has to fall somewhere in between or it won't sell.

Brandon302 said:
I will take a picture of me writing what I am typing and eat it if it comes to 45k. There is no way they would sell at that price, almost no way they would sell at 40k. You can get a fully loaded Focus ST for 28k and a Track Pack GT for about 40k so it has to fall somewhere in between or it won't sell.
My guess is $39,9xx base and $45K loaded. How much is a loaded Ecoboost Mustang? This has a more powerful version of the same engine, plus AWD, plus Recaros, plus a lot of unique suspension and electronics.

BTW, a loaded Track Pack GT goes for over $45K.

You can go with a Shelby Focus, I chased one down on the track in the LS, wasn't that easy to catch with street tires which were screaming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kOetaQurEc

Problem with the Shelby Focus is they sold 5 of them, from what I heard. I agree it was fun chasing it down that day on the track. :D

coboss said:
My guess is $39,9xx base and $45K loaded. How much is a loaded Ecoboost Mustang? This has a more powerful version of the same engine, plus AWD, plus Recaros, plus a lot of unique suspension and electronics.

BTW, a loaded Track Pack GT goes for over $45K.

I was using the loaded ST as an example of the most expensive gas power Focus you could get, a Track Pack 15 GT is 37, so my feeling is pricing a Focus above that isn't too bright, no matter how great I think it may end up being.

Brandon302 said:
I was using the loaded ST as an example of the most expensive gas power Focus you could get, a Track Pack 15 GT is 37, so my feeling is pricing a Focus above that isn't too bright, no matter how great I think it may end up being.

A completely stripped Track Pack GT is $37K, but you won't find one unless you order it. Add in Recaros, Nav, stereo upgrade, etc. and you are $45K.

The Focus RS is a GT350 equivalent as far as where it sits in the market. A super high end, track ready and track focused halo car. There will probably be fewer of these sold per year than the 4000 Bosses.

This is Road and Track's description of the Focus RS:

"We have additional details about the upcoming 2016 Focus RS from another trusted source, including power output, so let's start with that. With the Mustang GT's V8 holding down a 435 hp spot at the top of the Ford performance pecking order (for now, until the 2016 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 emerges), the Focus RS is free to turn up the horsepower wick. Since the 2.3-liter Ecoboost is easily capable of more than its 310 hp output in the Mustang, which was dictated more by fuel economy concerns than anything else, the RS is free to pump out between 325 and 350 hp. The higher figure is more likely. This is because as a low-volume, niche product that doesn't compete with the Mustang GT, there's no reason to hold the Focus RS back."

coboss said:
A completely stripped Track Pack GT is $37K, but you won't find one unless you order it. Add in Recaros, Nav, stereo upgrade, etc. and you are $45K.

The Focus RS is a GT350 equivalent as far as where it sits in the market. A super high end, track ready and track focused halo car. There will probably be fewer of these sold per year than the 4000 Bosses.

"We have additional details about the upcoming 2016 Focus RS from another trusted source, including power output, so let's start with that. With the Mustang GT's V8 holding down a 435 hp spot at the top of the Ford performance pecking order (for now, until the 2016 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 emerges), the Focus RS is free to turn up the horsepower wick. Since the 2.3-liter Ecoboost is easily capable of more than its 310 hp output in the Mustang, which was dictated more by fuel economy concerns than anything else, the RS is free to pump out between 325 and 350 hp. The higher figure is more likely. This is because as a low-volume, niche product that doesn't compete with the Mustang GT, there's no reason to hold the Focus RS back."

Maybe it will be more expensive, I just think Ford will not sell enough, at that price point people will probably buy the Golf R or equivalent.

coboss said:

I think you're right, now, that it's a 'halo' car...don't know why you would have disputed that in the other rs thread.
still don't agree with your views on cross-shopping with the mustang and other vehicles.

fuhrius said:
I think you're right, now, that it's a 'halo' car...don't know why you would have disputed that in the other rs thread.
still don't agree with your views on cross-shopping with the mustang and other vehicles.

The reason it will be a niche car is *because* people will cross-shop it with other cars. They will look at the $40-45K price tag, and evaluate it based on the value they think they would get from owning it, and for the vast majority of people, it won't be worth that kind of cash when they could get a BMW/Mercedes/STi/Golf R/whatever.
The only people who will buy this car if it comes in over $40K are people who must have a Ford, don't want a Mustang, and have cash to burn. That is a very small pool of potential buyers, and for them, it is a halo car. Go to valet park the thing, and it is a riced out Ford econobox. The STi and Golf R don't exactly sell by the truckload, and they are under $40K. The other wild card floating down the river is the Golf R400.

The price point is just all wrong. It is kind of like, back in the day, the 440 Dart or the 427/454 Novas. They were awesome and fast, and because they were ridiculously expensive compared to other muscle cars of the time, they only sold a handful of them.

I can only speak for myself, but it comes down to value per dollar. To me that is what the Ford brand proposition is about.

Here is a non-Ford-Promotional video of a real live Focus RS in the USA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTXLNLc4RXs#t=60

coboss said:
Here is a non-Ford-Promotional video of a real live Focus RS in the USA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTXLNLc4RXs#t=60

Dat ass, wouldn't want to be buying that car however, hate seeing these turn on WOT rev videos.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel