The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Focus ST long term ownership questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thinking of buying a used '13 ST (ST2) and selling my 2012 Focus SE. Just thought I would ask here if anyone has had any issues with theirs approaching 100k. The used ST I am looking at is around 70K, I commute about 20k/year, so it will climb quickly. I was told oil changes were always at 10k with FOMOCO oil and he seems like a trustworthy guy. Car has a few cosmetic issues as expected with this area. Including the yellow seat fabric looking dingy. Seems like a bad idea to use yellow on a surface that will get dirty no matter what you do but what the heck, boy racers love it, right? Fuel economy will definitely be less, I can get 37mpg average (winter and summer, 70-80mph, 38mile commute) in my SE. Probably 32-ish in an ST but it might be too much fun to get that :).

What I am concerned about is carbon buildup in the GDI engines, especially with a turbo... But a cleaning seems to be a normal fix and that is not so big of a deal to do. At least the intake manifold is in the front and easy to get at. I am wondering if anyone here has had any significant issues. Most of you gents take better care of your cars than I suspect most owners do, so that is the only reason I am here instead of the usual ST forums.

In short: what mpg are you guys seeing, and what are your impressions with the engine long term?

Thanks!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel