The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Foiled Intake Tube

Sesshomurai

Although carbon fiber has a high strength to weight ratio I think it would be only for looks on the intake tube. I'm not aware of any radiant heat deflection properties of carbon fiber. Does it?
 

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Moderator
2,848
14
Connecticut
DGRacing said:
Although carbon fiber has a high strength to weight ratio I think it would be only for looks on the intake tube. I'm not aware of any radiant heat deflection properties of carbon fiber. Does it?

It does have a higher insulative property than normal ABS plastic but I don't have hard numbers, I'll see if I can find some.

Just a caveat to those new to the track scene looking for 'the truth' ;D

> The foil wrapped intake tube will deflect heat much better than the stock intake tube. My guess is that it will do a better job than carbon fiber also - just a guess. Will you see any measurable advantage to either on the track? No, unless you are a seasoned professional driver who has the ability to run their car on the hairy edge of the cars mechanical abilities all the time. Think about it logically, the air molecules are actually in the intake tube for such a short amount of time there is little opportunity for them to become heated up from the tube much at all. Every little bit helps, that's why the intake manifolds aren't made of iron anymore (weight also...), but I think the difference in your lap time will be something like .0000001 seconds ;D

> The carbon fiber intakes (full disclosure - I have one) look good. Don't expect much else. I believe they cause less air turbulence than the stock intakes, but again actually feeling a true difference on the track is probably not true. When I installed mine I thought I felt a slight difference in the 4000 - 5500 RPM range. Were my senses tainted for what I paid for that thing? Probably... ;D

-Pete
 

Sesshomurai

PeteInCT said:
It does have a higher insulative property than normal ABS plastic but I don't have hard numbers, I'll see if I can find some.

Just a caveat to those new to the track scene looking for 'the truth' ;D

> The foil wrapped intake tube will deflect heat much better than the stock intake tube. My guess is that it will do a better job than carbon fiber also - just a guess. Will you see any measurable advantage to either on the track? No, unless you are a seasoned professional driver who has the ability to run their car on the hairy edge of the cars mechanical abilities all the time. Think about it logically, the air molecules are actually in the intake tube for such a short amount of time there is little opportunity for them to become heated up from the tube much at all. Every little bit helps, that's why the intake manifolds aren't made of iron anymore (weight also...), but I think the difference in your lap time will be something like .0000001 seconds ;D

> The carbon fiber intakes (full disclosure - I have one) look good. Don't expect much else. I believe they cause less air turbulence than the stock intakes, but again actually feeling a true difference on the track is probably not true. When I installed mine I thought I felt a slight difference in the 4000 - 5500 RPM range. Were my senses tainted for what I paid for that thing? Probably... ;D

-Pete

Good info! My reasons for doing it stem more from prolonging engine life than lap times. e.g. those few degrees add up over time. :) Although I admit this kind of mod gets into the really really fine tuning department.
 
My CF intake is purely for looks. :)
 
Cool...now I know what to tell people at work to wrap around their heads when they tell me the aluminium foil isn't working! ;D

Btw...this was my 302nd post...I know it will change soon..
 
Well. I am not sure of any power gains but from a dressup standpoint, I am sure you can get colors to semi match or offset your car colors. I am sure one of you enterprising souls will do this and start a new trend. :)

I eagerly await pictures of your creations.
 
NewBossowner said:
Well. I am not sure of any power gains but from a dressup standpoint, I am sure you can get colors to semi match or offset your car colors. I am sure one of you enterprising souls will do this and start a new trend. :)

I eagerly await pictures of your creations.

I sense a Pinterest page coming, girls. ;)
 
1,281
3
Tulsa, OK
You can order paint matched intakes through JLT for any factory color.

http://jlttruecoldair.com/ZenCart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=357_358&products_id=367&zenid=6edr2irfn6es6nmr6lbuten2l6
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
roadhouse said:
You can order paint matched intakes through JLT for any factory color.

http://jlttruecoldair.com/ZenCart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=357_358&products_id=367&zenid=6edr2irfn6es6nmr6lbuten2l6
most wont go the JLT route as it requires a tune.

I like my steeda CAI nothing fancy like gold foil or carbon fiber but it has a nice air box
 

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
521
0
Re: Re: Foiled Intake Tube

Justin said:
most wont go the JLT route as it requires a tune.

I like my steeda CAI nothing fancy like gold foil or carbon fiber but it has a nice air box
Steeda requires a tune also, right?

I have a Steeda and love the quality of it.
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Top