The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Following the clutch trend! what does this pic mean?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
My Buddy is installing my Spec 1 with alumnium flywheel, and I am busy at work so I can pay him! But he did send me this pic of the broken clutch dampener springs. What breaks the springs?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10206412356766481&l=a5efa511eb

12074595_10206412356766481_2959007635503529498_n.jpg

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Heavy shock loads or high RPM combined with poor manufacturing quality.
Primarily when the stock clutches fail, it's not the friction material that gives out. We see failures of the spring itself like shown in that post, or the spring will actually be ejected from its race at high RPM.

It means you're driving your car as it was intended. Unfortunately, some components are not up to par like the clutch... most likely due to budget cuts.

My clutch hub failed as well, so don't feel too bad. It's the perfect time to upgrade 8)

Mine did the same, except it broke so hard that it bent the metal on the back side until it broke and completely left the friction disc altogether.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I have a Spec 1 with a aluminum flywheel just installed yesterday. Looking forward to trying it out. Could the broken springs on the OEM clutch affect performance, or are they more to avoid chatter?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Mad Hatter said:
I have a Spec 1 with a aluminum flywheel just installed yesterday. Looking forward to trying it out. Could the broken springs on the OEM clutch affect performance, or are they more to avoid chatter?

They are to take up some of the shock load to the drivetrain when the clutch is engaged. Helps with vehicle comfort as well as (when they work) to keep other components from failing prematurely.

When the spring/hub fails, usually they hinder clutch performance. Sometimes as bad as not allowing engagment or disengagment of the clutch, specially when the springs break loose and get lodged between the pressure plate.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel