The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

For a set of track wheels, TPMS or not

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NFSBOSS said:
I'm not sure how this rumor persists but there is nothing moving inside the sensors.

I'm not sure if he is referring to the same info but from what I have read (can't remember exactly but I think it was an owners manual) it not the fact that the sensors are spinning or moving it was that the car it self reaches a certain speed for a certain amount of time.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
I am guilty of propagating the theory that kinetic energy is needed to power the sensors. I WAS WRONG. What I thought was a time delay for kinetic energy buildup before the computer being able to read the sensors may have actually been some computer derived time delay, for what reason, I have no idea.

Fact:
I have tpms sensors in my street tires. When I remove my street wheel/tires with my track wheel/tires with Orange Electronics aftermarket tpms sensors and readout, I put my tpms canister in with 4 factory tpms , which I trained to my car, in the center console and I get no tpms warning light.

Speculation:
I have heard, but have not confirmed, that training is not necessary. I have also hear, and not confirmed, that the factory tpms have a 5 year battery in them.

pufferfish said:
I have heard, but have not confirmed, that training is not necessary.

It is not, I have had a set of different sensors work on the Boss and my 2011 F150. On the truck I even went as far as lowing the air pressure in one tire after a driving on the new set to see if it set off the idiot light, it did.

TMO Supporting Vendors