The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

For a set of track wheels, TPMS or not

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Was just about to order a set of 19 x 9.5 drift wheels from Latemodelrestoration.com. Should I bother getting the TPMS kit if the set is mainly driving too, at and from, the track?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002DYH586/sr=/qid=/ref=olp_tab_new?ie=UTF8&colid=&coliid=&condition=new&me=&qid=&seller=&sr=

These really work, not an idiot light but readout of each wheel - pressure and temp.

Splatter said:
Was just about to order a set of 19 x 9.5 drift wheels from Latemodelrestoration.com. Should I bother getting the TPMS kit if the set is mainly driving too, at and from, the track?

Not sure if you've looked into this already, but have you considered 18x10's?
18" tires are more reasonably priced, and down the line when you decide, you can use take-off slicks, which are more readily available in 18"s.

But to answer your original question, I also do not have TPMS on my track wheels. I just deal with the TPMS light, along with the traction control light on track. The TPMS light flashes for the first few seconds when you start the car, then stays on.

If you're driving your car to and from the track I say yes. They can be had for$45 a set on eBay.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Guys! thanks for the all the advice about 18 in wheels!! Down here in Chile the only real track/street tire I can get at a decent price is the Dunlop Dirreza ZII. Its a great tire but they dont come any wider then 285/30-18, two inches lower diameter then stock, that and the only size they will have in stock for the American muscle cars in Chile is 275/35-19. I get a hefty track discount as they are trying to introduce the dunlops here. That and the possibility of getting a 15in disc set has me sticking to 19in for now.

If I was in the US i would get 18 inch wheels :p!! The bonus is I have the only Boss 302 at the track!!

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
YellowBoss said:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002DYH586/sr=/qid=/ref=olp_tab_new?ie=UTF8&colid=&coliid=&condition=new&me=&qid=&seller=&sr=

These really work, not an idiot light but readout of each wheel - pressure and temp.

I have this and love it! for the dash idiot light that blinks at you when not using the factory tpms, I have a set of factory TPMS loaded into one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221242270314?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

works brilliantly!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Splatter said:
Guys! thanks for the all the advice about 18 in wheels!! Down here in Chile the only real track/street tire I can get at a decent price is the Dunlop Dirreza ZII. Its a great tire but they dont come any wider then 285/30-18, two inches lower diameter then stock, that and the only size they will have in stock for the American muscle cars in Chile is 275/35-19. I get a hefty track discount as they are trying to introduce the dunlops here. That and the possibility of getting a 15in disc set has me sticking to 19in for now.

If I was in the US i would get 18 inch wheels :p!! The bonus is I have the only Boss 302 at the track!!

Dam, my competition is a pair of Camaros, one a SS with coil overs, 550hp etc and the other a ZL1, both are going to massive Toyo R888 305 up front and 315 rears. maybe have to rethink the slicks idea again or get left behind..... Would 275/35-18 Hoosiers or Kumho slicks be a match?

pufferfish said:
I have this and love it! for the dash idiot light that blinks at you when not using the factory tpms, I have a set of factory TPMS loaded into one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221242270314?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

works brilliantly!

You are right on again these work well and with the track key installed.I don't know where people come up with the idea you can just take these out and run. The vett. guys use these because there cars go into a limp mode and must go back to the dealer. Saves a lot of hassel.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Hmm, I though these things get their charge from the kinetics of spinning around in the tire?? How do they keep sending a signal if they are in a pressure jar??

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
They do not need kinetic energy to work. I have had a set of tpms in my canister all year and never needed to "shake them up".

jim woodruff said:
You are right on again these work well and with the track key installed.I don't know where people come up with the idea you can just take these out and run. The vett. guys use these because there cars go into a limp mode and must go back to the dealer. Saves a lot of hassel.

I do not at all understand what you are saying here? Why can't you run without them? I have done it for two years with my Boss and it is not a problem in any way. Yea the dash light is on but it does not bother me in the least, I know it really annoys some people and the canister idea would help them. To me it is just another light along with the traction control, seat belts, airbag and half the time the CEL.

Anyway back to my question unless I am missing something not running the factory TPMS has no adverse effect on the car.

pufferfish said:
They do not need kinetic energy to work. I have had a set of tpms in my canister all year and never needed to "shake them up".

It is interesting that these do work, until hearing some of you guys used this I would have guessed that it would not like Splatter questioned. If you read the Ford manuals about these sensors it talks about how the car will check or recheck the pressure after sitting when the car or truck reach a certain MPH for a certain period of time.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
the vette boys apparently have the computer cut back power if the tpms light comes on. this is not the case with the mustangs. the canister is simply to avoid the light being on.

Splatter said:
Hmm, I though these things get their charge from the kinetics of spinning around in the tire?? How do they keep sending a signal if they are in a pressure jar??
I'm not sure how this rumor persists but there is nothing moving inside the sensors.

The price went up. LOL

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171100861211?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

TMO Supporting Vendors