The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

For all considering 305-wide tires w/ stock suspension

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cholmes1

400lb Gorilla
Denver, CO
So did you come out okay on the size you wanted on the Apex group buy?

Hi Bill,

Thank you for asking and great new signature photo. Your 302S looks great!

Yes, while the group-buy was a bust, they did offer a % discount on the website shortly after the GB ended. I was able to work with them over the phone and have been very happy with the purchase. I have all of the parts in hand and will be dropping the Boss off at 3R racing to have the wheels/tires installed and aligned. Additionally, I will have them install the 302S brake ducts and SpecFab 4" backing plates. All of the work is scheduled to start next week.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I have missed all their Group Buys , but I found them super easy to work with and the continual support is worth it's weight in gold to me. So many companies just sell you a product and disappear, but Apex is there constantly and quite easy to get in touch with. Their regular price is super competitive , so what the heck, ha,ha! Nice that you are close to 3R Racing because they are a quality group and well respected in the Industry. Hope to see you at the track in the future -- Hi Plains, Pueblo, Motorsports Park Hastings, or Heartland Motorsports Park ( Topeka ).

Thanks for the nice comments on the BossS and I hope to have a new decal scheme on it for next year.

Last edited:

cholmes1

400lb Gorilla
Denver, CO
Finally 305 square on all four corners. Also went with Boss 302S 4" cooling ducts, Specfab 4” backing plate, larger rear rotors, and replaced all the head and manifold lines with braided nylon. Many thanks to the forum members (@TymeSlayer, @Bill Pemberton , @Boss302S etc.) who provided first-hand insights and photos. As a final note, 3R in Denver is a great race shop with an extremely knowledgeable staff, but you certainly don’t want to work on a time frame. They work and communicate at their own pace. The car needs a bath badly, so I apologize for the dust and dirt. Happy holidays to you all

7EFBA5C7-F7BE-4FB1-8662-21AF0A3D7A2E.jpeg0C08783F-F6E5-4849-913C-7A8A2994C473.jpegF08BE3AC-8D50-4C0C-96D7-3193FE845E42.jpeg64FC5E30-D4ED-4D40-9B3D-91A6F31EC318.jpeg4C62F2CD-438D-45E6-A63E-DBE2E42E4F6D.jpeg

will be reinstalling the LS splitter and installing a CAI and some other goodies this winter season. With this setup and the Steeda Boss springs the car sits completely level when measured at the roof or drive/pass. windows.

Last edited:
Great information here guys. Just installed my new Apex 19x11" wheels and they fit very well. Switching to a square setup from my budget wheels was seriously a game changer.
Currently running just Koni orange w/ Steeda springs and panhard par.
I did not need to modify the rear bump stops and am using a 1" spacer in front. Going to switch to P springs, plus I have a couple other things to do and then I'll take some new photos.

I have the Steeda Sport Springs for 11-14 GT. I am only getting around -1.5 - 1.7 deg camber before the springs rub on the fender well. I have the Steeda competition C/C plates that replace the plastic ball bearing contraption in the stock strut mount.
It is okay around town but I don't think it will work at the track. Apex recommended at least -2.5 deg. I have seen people with P springs or stock Boss 302 springs running with the camber plates maxed out, without any rubbing. Also I noticed that the P springs seem to be popular here and have a little higher spring rate than Steeda. Picked up a set for cheap to try it out.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
I'm thinking it might be worth the experience to run at least one track day on your 11" / 305 setup with the springs that are on the car now and the camber you've been able to get with them. That way you might get a better feel for what the wheel & tire upgrade alone can provide, without the change in spring stiffness clouding your observations. It would also leave steering response a little closer to what you're accustomed to.

Personally, I think you need more shock & strut damping before you need any more spring rate.

FWIW, I started out on Koni yellows and OE springs (way down there in the 135-145 lb/in neighborhood) and told myself I wasn't going to touch the springs until I had a personally observed reason for doing so. That turned out to be when nose dive under braking became finally bothersome instead of simply noticeable, which took longer than expected. By that time my home track's own HPDE group had already moved me up into their advanced run group - on their initiative. I was on 285/35-18 MPSS and 11" wheels and running about -1.9° camber at the time. And slightly firmer sta-bars.

Norm

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I guess I am mainly worried about rubbing and uneven wear, and on my old staggered setup -1.5 camber resulted in uneven (more) wearing of the outside of the tire. The rears were wearing pretty evenly, so I felt I at least had a decent grasp on tire pressures. I agree regarding damping. The Koni oranges were not the best choice but at the time I didn't know any better and now I would rather save for coilovers and skip spending money on yellows or similar in between.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel