The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

For all you Baby Boomers that grew up using Craftsman tools...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sadly everything is cheaping out, back in 76 (1976 not 1776) I was working in a repair shop and bought my first "real" tool box, an SK Wayne roll around. I still have it. I was so proud because only the badass guys had SK stuff. Then they were sold to Dresser industries in the 80s and now you never really here about them too much.
Here's another company, Bonney wrenches (http://alloy-artifacts.org/bonney-forge-tool.html). They were the absolute Cadillac of wrenches.

Even when my local Sears was still open, it was a hassle to return/exchange tools.
I lucked out at a moving sale a few years back.
Picked up a mechanics tool box chuck full of Bonney & SK tools (incl some duplicates).
The story was the guy used to work at a GM plant and that's what most of them used.
Even though they are used used (30+ yrs old) those things are outlasting some of my newer Craftsmen tools.
I get twice as pissed when any of them go missing. (ie: kids borrow them).

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SoCal
I grew up in the late 60's and early 70's learning from my Dad how to wrench on cars. He used to work on Corvairs for people on the weekends to earn extra money and he taught me at 5 years old how to remove all the tin heat shields when he was doing oil and spark plug changes. He had mostly Craftsman tools. Needless to say, I built up my collection of Craftsman tools as I grew older.

About 4 years ago I had to basically start anew and rebuilt my tool arsenal from scratch, including tool boxes. I began by purchasing US made Craftsman from Ebay and bought a couple wrench sets from Wright Tool. Most of my other stuff now is GearWrench. So far the GearWrench tools have been holding up well and you can find them most everywhere. They have a lifetime warranty, but I have no idea if you can walk in to any store and just do a straight exchange like you used to be able to with Craftsman at Sears.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I googled Craftsman tool warranty and this came up.
“Full Lifetime Warranty

If the product fails to perform for any reason, we will replace it. Return damaged product to a stocking Retail Partner or call 1-888-331-4569 for details. No proof of purchase required.”
Apparently someone did not get the word. Or I am on a bad site.
https://www.craftsman.com/customer-care/warranty-information

I googled Craftsman tool warranty and this came up.
“Full Lifetime Warranty

If the product fails to perform for any reason, we will replace it. Return damaged product to a stocking Retail Partner or call 1-888-331-4569 for details. No proof of purchase required.”
Apparently someone did not get the word. Or I am on a bad site.
https://www.craftsman.com/customer-care/warranty-information
BINGO! You nailed it TMSBOSS. That's the power of this website! Thank you for official confirmation of what should be common sense for all retailers of the Craftsman brand.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
From what I know of retail and warranties. The story is only responsible to account for and in some cases return the defective items. All other responsibilities are those of the manufacturer.
Sounds like this Ace was not the place for of the helpful hardware man.
Who knew?

Bay Area
Sadly everything is cheaping out, back in 76 (1976 not 1776) I was working in a repair shop and bought my first "real" tool box, an SK Wayne roll around. I still have it. I was so proud because only the badass guys had SK stuff. Then they were sold to Dresser industries in the 80s and now you never really here about them too much.
Here's another company, Bonney wrenches (http://alloy-artifacts.org/bonney-forge-tool.html). They were the absolute Cadillac of wrenches.
I am much younger than you but I love SK tools. Can’t beat them and can’t find them.

If you have been in a Sears store lately it is really sad but the tool department had left many years ago as they have nothing but "made in china" junk tools now. The problem with store receipts these days is the printing ink that is being used to print them is a special disappearing ink which fades to nothing after a few years which means you still have no receipt if you cannot read it after it fades. I wonder if Lowes is going to honor the Craftsman "lifetime warranty" and are they going to continue the mistakes of Sears by out sourcing the tools to china?

Tim

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
I recently had to swap out my Craftsman flexhead 1/2" ratchet. Went to the Sears store at the Mall of America. Swapped for a new one and went on my way. I noticed there wasn't much on the shelves. As a professional wrench spinner Snap On is my preferred choice for durability, wrenches & sockets second to none.

BINGO! You nailed it TMSBOSS. That's the power of this website! Thank you for official confirmation of what should be common sense for all retailers of the Craftsman brand.

ACE just probably had no idea on the lifetime guarantee. Next time take it to a Sears store and they will replace it. I’ve replaced a few tools no problem at the store.

TMO Supporting Vendors